News Article: Yzerman fires longtime scout Merkosky, hires his own brohter

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
https://detroitsportsnation.com/bre...ale/detroit-red-wings-news/06/25/2019/206156/

BREAKING: Steve Yzerman fires longtime employee, hires own brother

by Don Drysdale about an hour ago

According to reports, Detroit Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman has fired longtime pro scout Glenn Merkosky, who was with the team for two Stanley Cups, and replaced him with his brother, Chris.
In one of his first acts as Detroit Red Wings GM, Steve Yzerman fired longtime pro scout Glenn Merkosky, who was with the Wings for two Stanley Cups, and replaced him with Chris Yzerman, Steve's brother who had been scouting for him with the Lightning. Discuss amongst yourselves.
— Ken Campbell (@THNKenCampbell) June 25, 2019
Chris Yzerman was previously with Steve as a scout in Tampa Bay.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Christien

May 1, 2010
Have no issue with this move. Sucks for Merkosky, but I'm hopeful he can get hired by another team.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Pro scout for advance game planning or for trades - are they one in the same?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This just sounds like the new guy starting to bring who he wants in, rather than sticking it to anyone on the current staff, like the headline suggests. Hiring his own brother is no different to me, than any GM's bringing in former players they liked to be part of the staff.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm always amazed at how many scouts were previously marginal NHLers who played for the team they're now scouting for.

Like all the best scouts just happen to be from your franchise? It reeks of country club atmosphere.

(Merkosky played for the Adirondack Wings and 3 games for the Red Wings)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Let's look at the recent pro signings:
- DLR (waivers)
- Bernie
- Vanek
- Witter
- Ott
- Daley
- Green
- Nielsen
- Tootoo
- Weiss

and traded for
- Legwand
- Quincey

Wouldn't bother me one bit if they fired the whole pro-scouting staff and started over. I'm pretty sure half the people on this board could do better.

interesting to note that Pat Verbeek has a long pro scouting background,he was Tampas director of pro scouting in addition to being AGM and I believe was a pro scout even dating all the way back to his pre Tampa Detroit days

we'll see what kind of role he has in that here but difficult to imagine him not being involved with it in some way

Reactions: hkydave04

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I'm always amazed at how many scouts were previously marginal NHLers who played for the team they're now scouting for.

Like all the best scouts just happen to be from your franchise? It reeks of country club atmosphere.

That is because many of the good to excellent players make enough money to walk away from the game when they retire.

The best scouts live and breath the game since they were kids. It is not country club atmosphere, but more passion and understanding of the game and what it takes to be successful in this league.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
When you make the man the king of the kingdom he gets what he wants. Non-Issue really outside of maybe... maybe... Merkosky had no real reason to be fired. I think most everyone knew his brother was going to eventually be involved with the Red Wings in some way.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That is because many of the good to excellent players make enough money to walk away from the game when they retire.

The best scouts live and breath the game since they were kids. It is not country club atmosphere, but more passion and understanding of the game and what it takes to be successful in this league.
My point though is that they all happen to come from the very same franchise and played with or for the GM they get hired by.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My point though is that they all happen to come from the very same franchise and played with or for the GM they get hired by.

This is only my guess, but I think a large part of it, is every team has certain ways of doing things, and when they bring in someone who played for them, that person already knows the culture and way of doing things.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Where do you reckon scouts are going to get their start if not with a club that's familiar with you? It's not like guys are getting recruited out of scout school.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Where do you reckon scouts are going to get their start if not with a club that's familiar with you? It's not like guys are getting recruited out of scout school.

Yeah, and GMs are often former players of some sort. They know that for a lot of these guys, when their careers are over, there aren't exactly a lot of options for them. they hang around, they get better, they keep the job. And it's not like these guys are going to look to turn and bite the hand that's fed them.

Also, a lot of us have gotten a heads-up on a job through friends and family. I don't think it's a country club, it's just how stuff works.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Let's look at the recent pro signings:
- DLR (waivers)
- Bernie
- Vanek
- Witter
- Ott
- Daley
- Green
- Nielsen
- Tootoo
- Weiss

and traded for
- Legwand
- Quincey

Wouldn't bother me one bit if they fired the whole pro-scouting staff and started over. I'm pretty sure half the people on this board could do better.
i yearned for a love icon but could only find like

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Sucks for Merkosky but at least it's a sign the country club/old boys network isn't going to still be a thing under Yzerman. I wonder if Tyler Wright joins Holland now that the draft is over.

Reactions: hkydave04

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

not just scouts but other FO personnel too. isn't limited to marginal NHLers either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad