Yzerman and the 1983 Draft

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Picture you are the GM of the Detroit Red Wings and you could go back in time to 1983.

With the benefit of hindsight would you trade Steve Yzerman for the 17 players drafted behind him in the first round?

1983 Draft

4. Steve Yzerman

5. Tom Barrasso
6. John MacLean
7. Russ Courtnall
8. Andrew McBain
9. Cam Neely
10. Norman Lacombe
11. Adam Creighton
12. Dave Gagner
13. Dan Quinn
14. Bobby Dollas
15. Bob Errey
16. Gerald Diduck
17. Alfie Turcotte
18. Bruce Cassidy
19. Jeff Beukeboom
20. David Jansen
21. Nevin Markwart

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Picture you are the GM of the Detroit Red Wings and you could go back in time to 1983.

With the benefit of hindsight would you trade Steve Yzerman for the 17 players drafted behind him in the first round?

1983 Draft

4. Steve Yzerman

5. Tom Barrasso
6. John MacLean
7. Russ Courtnall
8. Andrew McBain
9. Cam Neely
10. Norman Lacombe
11. Adam Creighton
12. Dave Gagner
13. Dan Quinn
14. Bobby Dollas
15. Bob Errey
16. Gerald Diduck
17. Alfie Turcotte
18. Bruce Cassidy
19. Jeff Beukeboom
20. David Jansen
21. Nevin Markwart

What a great question!!! I think yes altho Stevie Y. was the Detroit red Wings.

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site

1983 Draft
4. Steve Yzerman

9. Cam Neely

The only guy I'd consider trading Yzerman for. (discounting the injury of course)

Zim

Jan 19, 2006

1983 Draft

4. Steve Yzerman

5. Tom Barrasso
6. John MacLean
7. Russ Courtnall
8. Andrew McBain
9. Cam Neely
10. Norman Lacombe
11. Adam Creighton
12. Dave Gagner
13. Dan Quinn
14. Bobby Dollas
15. Bob Errey
16. Gerald Diduck
17. Alfie Turcotte
18. Bruce Cassidy
19. Jeff Beukeboom
20. David Jansen
21. Nevin Markwart

I'm confused do you mean Yzerman for all those players or Yzerman for one of them? If it is for all of them i'd have to say yes.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Sorry I should clarify. I meant trade Yzerman for all 17 of those players.
Regardless, I don't think the GMs of the other teams would agree to taking their 1/17th shares of Yzerman. (Although it might be getting awfully close for teams like Buffalo when you start adding up shares...)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Tough, very tough. Beukeboom, Neely, Gagner, and Barasso were awesome players in their own right but Yzerman was special.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

1983 Draft

4. Steve Yzerman

5. Tom Barrasso
6. John MacLean
7. Russ Courtnall
9. Cam Neely
12. Dave Gagner
13. Dan Quinn
15. Bob Errey
16. Gerald Diduck
19. Jeff Beukeboom

Basically, the trade would be for the guys I left on the list. I'd be leaning towards yes, as you got a number 1 goalie, an all star winger, a few other top forwards, some elite defensive forwards and a few reliable defensemen.

On the other hand, Stevie Y is the face of a franchise.

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'd do it. Once those guys developed, you'd have very competitive team adding them to the Detroit roster.

Beukeboom-Diduck would be one mean shutdown pairing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
4. Steve Yzerman

5. Tom Barrasso
6. John MacLean
7. Russ Courtnall
9. Cam Neely
11. Adam Creighton
12. Dave Gagner
13. Dan Quinn
14. Bobby Dollas
15. Bob Errey
16. Gerald Diduck
19. Jeff Beukeboom

Of course, this is already over half of a pretty damn good team.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
On the surface I'm leaning towards a yes, but factoring in other considerations at that time the answer is a resounding NO.

Mike Ilitch had just bought the team and they were desperate for something to market to rebuild the fan base. All those other players would have made for a solid team, but they lacked one key: Star power. There is no "face of the franchise" in that group to build your entire marketing campaign around the way you could with Yzerman (with the possible exception of Neely). None of those guys were ready to step into the NHL right away and become an instant star. Yzerman was the player who brought fans to the games, which generated more revenue, which led to signing better players, which led to more fans and revenue, which eventually led the modern "machine" you see today. In many ways, the Wings ongoing success would never have happened without that first draft pick to make Detroit a hockey hotbed once again and give a new generation their own "Gordie Howe" icon.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
On the surface I'm leaning towards a yes, but factoring in other considerations at that time the answer is a resounding NO.

Mike Ilitch had just bought the team and they were desperate for something to market to rebuild the fan base. All those other players would have made for a solid team, but they lacked one key: Star power. There is no "face of the franchise" in that group to build your entire marketing campaign around the way you could with Yzerman (with the possible exception of Neely). None of those guys were ready to step into the NHL right away and become an instant star. Yzerman was the player who brought fans to the games, which generated more revenue, which led to signing better players, which led to more fans and revenue, which eventually led the modern "machine" you see today. In many ways, the Wings ongoing success would never have happened without that first draft pick to make Detroit a hockey hotbed once again and give a new generation their own "Gordie Howe" icon.
Tom Barasso did a pretty good job of stepping in and becoming an instant impact guy (Vezina and Calder I believe)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad