GDT: YYC vs YYZ 5:00 – 7:30ish MT, Thursday 16th, January 2020

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Either we Dallas stars our way into the playoffs or we are screwed. Us sporting a -10 gd and yet being 1st in the pacific is goddamn hilarious.

I can’t see us making it with how anemic our scoring is. It’s really troubling to watch

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Need another top 6 scorer badly. Somebody who can shoot FFS and can hang on to the puck for longer than 3 seconds.

Still really don't have any idea what Lucic is doing on this team. Guy is cooked. Can't skate, can't pass, can't shoot. Useless.

Reactions: Mobiandi

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Need another top 6 scorer badly. Somebody who can shoot FFS and can hang on to the puck for longer than 3 seconds.

Still really don't have any idea what Lucic is doing on this team. Guy is cooked. Can't skate, can't pass, can't shoot. Useless.

Hart and sole...

Guy is useless. He’ll get some lucky pp goals and that’s it. At least Neal does it 10 times better.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Either we Dallas stars our way into the playoffs or we are screwed. Us sporting a -10 gd and yet being 1st in the pacific is goddamn hilarious.

I can’t see us making it with how anemic our scoring is. It’s really troubling to watch

Regular season goalscoring isn't the end-all be-all if your team can carry the play and keep the puck out of their own net. The 2014 Kings were 25th in goals for.

That said, our inability to actually control the play is of concern.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
How great has Derek Ryan been offensively at 5v5 this season?

5th on the team in G/60 (0.73)
1st on the team in A/60 (1.25)
3rd on the team in Primary Assists/60 (0.62)
1st on the team in Points/60 (1.97)

Phenomenal.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Game Winner tonight gonna be scored by

cyi66q9seya41.jpg

God damn.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Jankowski was noticeably like, good today. Well, good for his standards. Made a few good plays to hold the puck in and drew a penalty by almost undressing Sandin on the PK. Liked what I saw from him but the main attraction was 100% Rittich. God damn he was good.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Leafs fan coming in peace, just wanna give props to Rittich, who was absolutely unreal. Maybe the best goaltending performance I’ve seen so far this season, he stopped SO MANY absolutely stellar scoring chances. Dude 100% deserves that all-star nod.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I crap on the Flames for being bad and inconsistent as much as anyone but I don't see this as one of those games tbh. I watched almost the entire game and I thought it was even until the last 5 mins or so.

They played fine, not ideal especially considering the other team was hobbled with injuries but they played well enough to win. They won the quality (XGF%, HDCF%, SCF%). On top of that Rittich was great, the tale about the game seems to be that this was a Leafs blowout that Rittich single handedly stopped from happening and that's just not the case.

Don't believe me? Ask Moneypuck
MoneyPuck.com

Also sidenote Johnny has 27 sog in the last 5 games.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I crap on the Flames for being bad and inconsistent as much as anyone but I don't see this as one of those games tbh. I watched almost the entire game and I thought it was even until the last 5 mins or so.

They played fine, not ideal especially considering the other team was hobbled with injuries but they played well enough to win. They won the quality (XGF%, HDCF%, SCF%). On top of that Rittich was great, the tale about the game seems to be that this was a Leafs blowout that Rittich single handedly stopped from happening and that's just not the case.

MoneyPuck.com

My eyes are lying to me.

The flames had chances but they can't shoot and rittich made at least 5 sure goals saves....it could have been a blowout...

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Jankowski was noticeably like, good today. Well, good for his standards. Made a few good plays to hold the puck in and drew a penalty by almost undressing Sandin on the PK. Liked what I saw from him but the main attraction was 100% Rittich. God damn he was good.

Home game for him. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going though

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

MoneyPuck.com

I agree, both teams played well enough to win. Toronto's goalie was also outstanding so there's no shame in Rittich being the difference. That said

- ITO skaters it was 5 (Calgary) on 8 (Toronto + Whistles). So we needed our goalie to come up big. Heck Ritter gets the regulation shutout if not for that phantom call on Rieder, which followed a phantom call on Kylington, which followed a 1000% phantom call on Bennett. I missed the call on Lindholm but I am suspicious of it.
- the types of rush chances Toronto generated - 3 on 1s etc, were not something Calgary generated and this is something our coaching staff needs to analyse. Our quality chances were on the cycle, where there's less time and space to get a shot off.
- the biggest area we need to work on continues to be the PP. When we got the disingenuous makeup calls after TO tied it up, I knew we wouldn't score on them.

Reactions: King In The North

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I mean he's not great lately, but he still contributed decently on the first goal. Only reason that Dube got the puck is cause Lucic forced the turnover.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I mean he's not great lately, but he still contributed decently on the first goal. Only reason that Dube got the puck is cause Lucic forced the turnover.

I don’t disagree but unless it’s a dumb game like Saturday there’s no reason both Lucic and Rinaldo should be in the lineup at the same time. Especially with the other options we have available

Also there’s probably a better fit for Ryan with how well he’s been playing. If you add a top 6 RW you can drop Backlund down and have Dube-Backlund-Ryan where they alternate faceoffs and that’ll be a lot better

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t disagree but unless it’s a dumb game like Saturday there’s no reason both Lucic and Rinaldo should be in the lineup at the same time. Especially with the other options we have available

Also there’s probably a better fit for Ryan with how well he’s been playing. If you add a top 6 RW you can drop Backlund down and have Dube-Backlund-Ryan where they alternate faceoffs and that’ll be a lot better
Exactly lucic and Rinaldo together just make me want to fire Ward. So dumb.

On the record IMO, lucic is not great but having a lucic in the lineup is not a big problem...just don't have two of them.

You can clearly see his issues but he made some decent play as a bottom line player and some how I feel he is a good teammate not like that jerk we dealt for him

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I would agree on all counts.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
the biggest area we need to work on continues to be the PP. When we got the disingenuous makeup calls after TO tied it up, I knew we wouldn't score on them.
I think you're half right. The biggest obstacle we currently face is getting our Dmen more involved in our offense, which is a huge reason as to why our PP has looked bad.

This is where Gallant comes in, who found a way to regularly do so with Vegas' awful (on paper) Dmen

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad