YSC Game 3 | Oilers vs Canucks Rookies | 3:30 pm MST | edmontonoilers.com

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thank god the prospects team got 3 wins at the prospects tournament... Should set them up for a great prospects team season to make the prospects team playoffs en route to the prospects team cup. Much more important than standing out individually to someday make the NHL team.

Man these guys are so over media-trained😂

??

The ****?

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I don’t really remember that honestly. I just remember people feeling gutted that Jarvis went the pick before.
That's pretty much exactly how I felt. I also remember reading about Holloway and quite liking him. I figured there was a good chance he could turn into a top 6 forward but I also recall that some hated the idea of drafting him.

Reactions: oilers'72

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I credit Yzerman for assembling a scouting staff that can make those kinds of picks. I know he probably didn't know much about them but you can't blame a GM for bad picks and not give him credit for the good ones, even if he wasn't the guy who scouted them.

All of his scouts at that time would have been Hollands scouts. Yzerman was on job for like half a month.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I credit Yzerman for assembling a scouting staff that can make those kinds of picks. I know he probably didn't know much about them but you can't blame a GM for bad picks and not give him credit for the good ones, even if he wasn't the guy who scouted them.
You're pretty much agreeing with me and repeating the point I made back at me :laugh:

More like the Detroit Red Wings scouting staff knew their shit.

Yzerman's first round drafting history is kind of bad prior to joining the Red Wings organization(Connelly, Koekoek, Drouin, Howden, Foote). Which of course, wasn't really his fault either(except in the context of who he hired)
GMs get too much credit for what a team picks in the draft, good or bad

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Was hoping my view of Broberg would be more positive after this tourney but I’m still pretty meh. Got hit pretty hard 3 times this game, lucky those were kids and not NHLers. His shot from the point is too muffiny, those shots need to come with velocity EVERY time in the big leagues. One of his muffins in the 1st got picked off then passed up to spring a Canuck on a breakaway that snuck behind Broberg’s coverage. One of two triple A chances he gave up in the 1st (the second he fell behind the net and a Canuck got free for a prime chance). There’s little execution things too that just aren’t sharp, flubbed passes, stick mishandles.

I will say that he skates with ease and plays with a lot of poise and calm though. He’s really “smooth” out there, but I’m really starting to hate that descriptor for prospects, “smooth” is nice but I prefer if he was dynamic or intense though.

In any case, I think to work on some of those issues he should spend another year in the A or atleast half a year. We picked up Murray, I say we give Murray some runway to get back to his CBJ form before auto-inserting Broberg.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It doesn't matter how well your first round does if you can knock it out of the park by selecting franchise level talent in later rounds.
Petrov, McLeod, Wanner, Desharnais, and Kesselring just to name a few. McLeod looks to be a lock on the Oilers. The rest may not of made it to the NHL yet but considering their draft position they are all doing very well .

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yet Detroit sucked last year and will suck this year and they'll remain at that level of suckage for a long time. They have to have someone to cheer for... would you take Seider away from them? Don't worry, Bettman will make an executive decision soon enough and bail them out. Yzerman ain't some super genius.

Screw Detroit, the Oilers have been the laughing stock of the NHL for decades. Someone else can have their turn for a few years.

I'm kind of in shock we picked a potential home run player where we got Holloway in the draft.

What? You clearly know nothing about Detroit.
They got a strong top 6 now. They have goaltending depth.
They have the next Hedman in Seider and got another massive stud in Edvdisson, and with Raymond, Berrgren and Kasper all pushing forward depth.

Suck for a long time haha. Thats like saying Bourgualt needs another 2 years in the minors.. oh wait

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What? You clearly know nothing about Detroit.
They got a strong top 6 now. They have goaltending depth.
They have the next Hedman in Seider and got another massive stud in Edvdisson, and with Raymond, Berrgren and Kasper all pushing forward depth.

Suck for a long time haha. Thats like saying Bourgualt needs another 2 years in the minors.. oh wait
Bobby with the hit. Ok... let us see where Detroit finishes this year. They will SUCK just like they SUCKED last year. Then they will SUCK the year after. Maybe then they'll be middle of the pack for a year or two but I expect they'll find another SUCK year before they make some changes. Then they might improve.

Bourgault needs a year and then some, for development in the AHL before he enters the NHL. Maybe 80 games total with some recalls and not two years. It's not like you twist what other people say in your posts. And piss me off by doing it constantly. Sit back and watch big boy. We will see who is right and who is wrong.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I sat beside his aunt and uncle Sat night. They had t-shirts made up. Suoer friendly and talked about his agent pushing him towards signing with the Oilers because of the goaltending depth.
Fanti played great stopping some of those early grade A chances.

He was solid for the entire tourney and showed exceptional ability handling the puck at times.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan. I'm really looking forward to eating crow every year he plays.
I honestly dislike it because I didn't know much about him. Also if you just look at his stats from the prior year it did scare me off.
Love the player and watched every game for the tournament and he was just a bull out there. Noone could stop him.

A side point is he's a tough player in the sense he jumps in for his teammates. A couple times opposing players went at his teammates and he was the first one to jump in without hesitation.

Reactions: oilers'72

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Lots of people shitting all over Holland for taking Broberg over Zegras but they have to understand, patience is a virtue with defence. We ignored drafting defence for years until we drafted Nurse. U can never have enough defence. It takes 2-4 years at least for them to develop. I do think Broberg will be a dandy. He is carrying a lot more weight this year. Take a bit getting use to it

It especially makes sense when you look at the timeline of his picks. He took the top 4 dman who needed 3-4 year to develop. Then he took the top 6 forwards who need a couple years to develop. Then he just took the big middle 6 forward who could be ready in a year or two. All 4 of his picks could realistically be in the lineup a year from now making an impact, and filling out our lineup

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Bobby with the hit. Ok... let us see where Detroit finishes this year. They will SUCK just like they SUCKED last year. Then they will SUCK the year after. Maybe then they'll be middle of the pack for a year or two but I expect they'll find another SUCK year before they make some changes. Then they might improve.

Bourgault needs a year and then some, for development in the AHL before he enters the NHL. Maybe 80 games total with some recalls and not two years. It's not like you twist what other people say in your posts. And piss me off by doing it constantly. Sit back and watch big boy. We will see who is right and who is wrong.
Very strange take. They are certainly interesting. Like Ottawa if they add a good D-man who knows what could happen this year already. Long term they're in a ridiculously good position.

They three, potentially four good lines. With more very interesting players in the pipeline. They have two good young goalies plus a stud prospects. On defense it's not quite showing yet but they're not far off. Seider could become the best in the world. Approximate depth chart lineup below.

Raymond – Larkin – Bertuzzi

Perron - Copp - Vrana

Fabbri – Suter – Kubalik

Berggren - Rasmussen - Zadina

Sundqvist, Czarnik, Erne, Veleno, Soderblom, James, Kasper, Mazur

Chiarot – Seider

Maatta – Hronek

Oesterle - Pysyk

Lindstrom, Edvinsson, Buium, Johansson, Wallinder

Husso

Nedeljkovic

Cossa

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Very strange take. They are certainly interesting. Like Ottawa if they add a good D-man who knows what could happen this year already. Long term they're in a ridiculously good position.

They three, potentially four good lines. With more very interesting players in the pipeline. They have two good young goalies plus a stud prospects. On defense it's not quite showing yet but they're not far off. Seider could become the best in the world. Approximate depth chart lineup below.

Raymond – Larkin – Bertuzzi

Perron - Copp - Vrana

Fabbri – Suter – Kubalik

Berggren - Rasmussen - Zadina

Sundqvist, Czarnik, Erne, Veleno, Soderblom, James, Kasper, Mazur

Chiarot – Seider

Maatta – Hronek

Oesterle - Pysyk

Lindstrom, Edvinsson, Buium, Johansson, Wallinder

Husso

Nedeljkovic

Cossa
you got magic bean syndrome

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It doesn't matter how well your first round does if you can knock it out of the park by selecting franchise level talent in later rounds.
It always matters how the first round goes. Every other round is typically a crap shoot. Once in a blue moon a team might get lucky and hit it out of the park in a later round. No team has done that consistently. But your team will be reliant on the success of your first rounders.

This chart shows the number of forwards last year with at least xx points by round they were drafted.
Points/Round1234567

This shows the same data but with scoring in a range vs cumulative:
Points/Round1234567
100+6001100
90-996000000
80-8912120001
70-797410010
60-6922411100
50-5923172320
40-4922433223
30-3934938243
20-29312274345

Here is the data for defensemen:
Points/Round1234567

And for ranges:

Points/Round1234567
90-990100000
80-892000000
70-791010000
60-692010000
50-599111000
40-495211111
30-3917612110
20-2918945212

At least offensively, the difference between first rounders and everyone else is massive.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
you got magic bean syndrome
Is that a poor response as in calling me crazy or stupid? Or is it a saying for overestimating potential/prospects? If the latter I’ve had that tendency sometimes, yes. However if you don’t think the Wings are in a good position I maintain that’s a strange take.

Many do generic assessments of roster strength. They go by previous standings or whatever ”vibe” they have associated with a club’s name over the past few years, and underestimate how quickly some young players contribute, and how quickly a team can turn things around (after a long, structured rebuild of course).

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
It especially makes sense when you look at the timeline of his picks. He took the top 4 dman who needed 3-4 year to develop. Then he took the top 6 forwards who need a couple years to develop. Then he just took the big middle 6 forward who could be ready in a year or two. All 4 of his picks could realistically be in the lineup a year from now making an impact, and filling out our lineup
100%
That was the problem with the Yak draft. We didn’t need another forward. We needed Defence. Another problem in previous years was rush them. They ain’t done anymore. For people screaming Zegras, where do u put him if he don’t work out in top 6? We were flush with forwards. Broberg is 6’3” 215-220 and can skate. He will be valuable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad