Youtube yourself.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

00:46 into the first video...SNIPER!

i dont have any videos of mysel do have some pics though :/. the on ice videos were a good idea.

n70603706_31731133_3724259.jpg

photo.php

Escapades

Mar 7, 2009
This is a video a made about a year ago of me doing some ball hockey trick shots in my basement. The crap video quality is because Youtube sucks the soul out of videos when you upload them. I'll see if I can get some footage of me playing in an actual game sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3lhl-dCZU

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
how do you guys resurface your backyard rinks when it gets chewed up?

You flood it with hot water - let it freeze for a couple of hours (depending on the temps an hour might do).

Then flood it a few times late at night with hot water again, as the temps are lowest when the sun goes down.

This method always gave me a sheet of glass to skate on.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
You flood it with hot water - let it freeze for a couple of hours (depending on the temps an hour might do).

Then flood it a few times late at night with hot water again, as the temps are lowest when the sun goes down.

This method always gave me a sheet of glass to skate on.

I would clean the loose snow off of mine with a 4 foot wide scraper shovel thingie and then use a stiff bristle push broom to sweep the ice clean. After that I would make a fine cone spray from a graden hose and spray a thin coat to resurface it.

the whole ice surface was made to begin with with thin coat of getting it just wet enough to get it wet and not overflooding it. Overflooding sometimes causes thin air pocket white air bubbles depending on the weather.

i found that thin coats and more time patieintly spraying thin coats worked best for things like not being chippy and brittle. I didn't get big ice chunks coming loose while playing or thermal cracks that way.

i wish I had a Zamboni like the one posted above, cripes that would rule it!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would clean the loose snow off of mine with a 4 foot wide scraper shovel thingie and then use a stiff bristle push broom to sweep the ice clean. After that I would make a fine cone spray from a graden hose and spray a thin coat to resurface it.

the whole ice surface was made to begin with with thin coat of getting it just wet enough to get it wet and not overflooding it. Overflooding sometimes causes thin air pocket white air bubbles depending on the weather.

i found that thin coats and more time patieintly spraying thin coats worked best for things like not being chippy and brittle. I didn't get big ice chunks coming loose while playing or thermal cracks that way.

i wish I had a Zamboni like the one posted above, cripes that would rule it!

Depending on how much we had played, I would shovel the rink with a normal shovel. Then hit it with the hot water. I used the Rink Rake for awhile, but it got annoying.

So mainly I just used a regular hose and moved in a sweeping motion. As long as the weather cooperated, I always had a sheet of glass. My biggest problem was ice bumps... I would find 2-3 on average and just melt them with a propane torch.

Since my g/f is from Canada, I live up here in the Winter and play on all of the free rinks. So I haven't made my own rink in about 4 years or so... they are a lot of work, but well worth it.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Depending on how much we had played, I would shovel the rink with a normal shovel. Then hit it with the hot water. I used the Rink Rake for awhile, but it got annoying.

So mainly I just used a regular hose and moved in a sweeping motion. As long as the weather cooperated, I always had a sheet of glass. My biggest problem was ice bumps... I would find 2-3 on average and just melt them with a propane torch.

Since my g/f is from Canada, I live up here in the Winter and play on all of the free rinks. So I haven't made my own rink in about 4 years or so... they are a lot of work, but well worth it.

yeah no kidding they really are a lot of work ....it seems sometyimes more time is spent grooming it instead of playing on it. Weather is brutally frustrating sometimes.

I live in Maine in the southern part about 35 miles from the ocean and we get cold fronts from Canada which rule and then warm fronts from the southern parts of the US where we can get 2 days of rain with temps in the 50s F.

Most of last winter was highs of 21 F and lows overnight of 10 F to -10 F

I noticed the best time to flood using a fine spray cone of water from a garden hose was at about 7 degrees F freezing on contact almost.

I never ever flooded the rink to have a new glass smooth surface because the ice would be chippy and/or get thermal cracks when the temps changed causing big cracks.

i went with the thin resurfacing approach like a Zamboni does, in fact if you notice it the Zamboni leaves the old skate ruts there but has smoothed them over. The ice is never like glass after a Zamboni has finished resurfacing a rink.

A place across town from me years ago had 2 outdoor rinks, one for hockey and one for just skating, that they would drive the Zamboni from next door used in the indoor ice rink to do the ice on the outdoor rinks.

it did a fantastic job on outdoor ice and the ice never had bad spot, thin white ice covered air pockets or chippy ice. Over time it had the same qualities as indoor ice.

They no longer do that but it was nice when they did a few years ago.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
yeah no kidding they really are a lot of work ....it seems sometyimes more time is spent grooming it instead of playing on it. Weather is brutally frustrating sometimes.

I live in Maine in the southern part about 35 miles from the ocean and we get cold fronts from Canada which rule and then warm fronts from the southern parts of the US where we can get 2 days of rain with temps in the 50s F.

Most of last winter was highs of 21 F and lows overnight of 10 F to -10 F

I noticed the best time to flood using a fine spray cone of water from a garden hose was at about 7 degrees F freezing on contact almost.

I never ever flooded the rink to have a new glass smooth surface because the ice would be chippy and/or get thermal cracks when the temps changed causing big cracks.

i went with the thin resurfacing approach like a Zamboni does, in fact if you notice it the Zamboni leaves the old skate ruts there but has smoothed them over. The ice is never like glass after a Zamboni has finished resurfacing a rink.

A place across town from me years ago had 2 outdoor rinks, one for hockey and one for just skating, that they would drive the Zamboni from next door used in the indoor ice rink to do the ice on the outdoor rinks.

it did a fantastic job on outdoor ice and the ice never had bad spot, thin white ice covered air pockets or chippy ice. Over time it had the same qualities as indoor ice.

They no longer do that but it was nice when they did a few years ago.

Ya, you truly have to love the game to make a rink... the work can be brutal. Especially the midnight floodings when it is like -2 F outside and you are standing there spraying water... and God forbid you left the hose outside...

Im from Pittsburgh and it is kind of unusual to see a backyard rink there... I always had people stopping to look at it... one time my neighbor's car caught on fire and when the fireman came to put out the fire, more of them were coming down to look at my rink than fight the fire... it was funny ****.

I was able to have a rink from New Years to about the end of February... but like you said the warm spells and rain would wreck havoc on my rink... one time I tried to cover my rink before it rained and the tarp froze to the rink... yet another lesson learned.

By the time I made my last rink in '05, I was pretty much a pro... I knew my deviations and exactly how high to make my low side borders so the rink would flood evenly, how to make the ice smooth as glass, how to perfectly fill blowout holes, etc etc.

I met my g/f that year and now live up in Canada during the Winter, so I haven't made a rink in 4 years... but with all of the free outdoor rinks up here, I play almost everyday from Dec-March.

When I used to build my own rink, my favorite time was skating by myself, just the sounds of my blades hitting the ice and catching the snowflakes with my tongue... no feeling like that in the world.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Ya, you truly have to love the game to make a rink... the work can be brutal. Especially the midnight floodings when it is like -2 F outside and you are standing there spraying water... and God forbid you left the hose outside...

Im from Pittsburgh and it is kind of unusual to see a backyard rink there... I always had people stopping to look at it... one time my neighbor's car caught on fire and when the fireman came to put out the fire, more of them were coming down to look at my rink than fight the fire... it was funny ****.

I was able to have a rink from New Years to about the end of February... but like you said the warm spells and rain would wreck havoc on my rink... one time I tried to cover my rink before it rained and the tarp froze to the rink... yet another lesson learned.

By the time I made my last rink in '05, I was pretty much a pro... I knew my deviations and exactly how high to make my low side borders so the rink would flood evenly, how to make the ice smooth as glass, how to perfectly fill blowout holes, etc etc.

I met my g/f that year and now live up in Canada during the Winter, so I haven't made a rink in 4 years... but with all of the free outdoor rinks up here, I play almost everyday from Dec-March.

When I used to build my own rink, my favorite time was skating by myself, just the sounds of my blades hitting the ice and catching the snowflakes with my tongue... no feeling like that in the world.

Oh boyyyy ... the dreaded tarp mistake. I tried the same thing you did but did not leave it on long enough to freeze to it. I did however have very uneven wrinkles and raised spots from the tarp trapping in heat and ruining a huge section of ice which had to be remade and repaired.

I can imagine how upset you must have been with the tarp being frozen to the rink!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad