News Article: There are no local streaming options for the 2021 Hurricanes season

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
It is completely f***ing insane that there isn’t just a legal way to watch every NHL game for a fixed price. Bat. Shit. Crazy.
Isn’t that what the NHL package is for? IIRC you can buy it on your mobile device and then connect it to your TV...doesn’t that qualify?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
When i was living out of state nhl tv was awesome. I got every canes game plus a ton of other games if one came up I was interested in. Now that I'm back in NC the blackouts make it pretty much worthless

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Isn’t that what the NHL package is for? IIRC you can buy it on your mobile device and then connect it to your TV...doesn’t that qualify?

I’m blacked out of every Rangers and Bruins game and all national games. In order to watch the Rangers in my part of CT I would need Direct TV or I believe Fubo TV.

Reactions: DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Sinclair Writes Down Its Sports Networks by $4.23 Billion

Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. wrote down the value of its regional sports networks by $4.23 billion, an admission that it grossly overpaid for cable channels hobbled by cord cutting and shrinking subscriber revenue. Sinclair paid $9.6 billion in August 2019 for 21 regional sports channels that were once part of the Fox empire. In a quarterly earnings statement Wednesday, the broadcaster said the value of those assets have shrunk by almost half.
Profit from those sports business may tumble 30% this year, according to Geetha Ranganathan, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. Sinclair faces pressure because it has $12.5 billion in debt and has failed to secure contracts from Hulu and YouTube to carry the channels.

“We strongly believe that the RSN model maintains significant long-term value and will continue to do so as live sports return and establish a sense of normalcy,” the company said.
On an earnings call Wednesday, Chief Executive Officer Chris Ripley said subscriber losses for the sports channels have been “higher than what we expected.” But he said the company sees future growth for the networks outside the traditional pay-TV business, including through legalized sports betting and a direct-to-consumer offering that would bypass cable TV distributors.
The company also said it has given the owners of MLB’s Kansas City Royals an ownership stake in the Fox Sports Kansas City as part of a recent renegotiation of the rights fees, and is willing to negotiate repurchases or new terms with bondholders of its sports channels division.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
How can they understand the cord cutting trend and not do anything about it? The asset is losing value because it's not in front of enough eyeballs, and it's not in front of enough eyeballs because they can't work out a deal with any of these streaming services. If I'm an investor in Sinclair, this is a huge red flag for me.
If I'm Dundon, I'm looking to break the contract with Fox Sports Carolinas as soon as possible because of how poorly Sinclair has handled this whole thing. In an era where you literally cannot go to a game, there's a very real possibility that we go into the 2020-21 season (if it ever happens) with the people you are relying on showing your games actively banning a significant chunk of your fanbase from actually viewing the games because you are incapable of negotiating with a streaming service.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If I'm Dundon, I'm looking to break the contract with Fox Sports Carolinas as soon as possible because of how poorly Sinclair has handled this whole thing. In an era where you literally cannot go to a game, there's a very real possibility that we go into the 2020-21 season (if it ever happens) with the people you are relying on showing your games actively banning a significant chunk of your fanbase from actually viewing the games because you are incapable of negotiating with a streaming service.
You gotta wonder if a team follows the KC model and acquires a stake in a specific station if something like that doesn't include streaming rights. I'd easily pay a few bucks a month to watch FS Carolinas....

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Sinclair Expects to Bring Rebranded Fox Sports RSNs Direct-to-Consumer Next Year

After the re-branding to Bally Sports...
It seems Sinclair has big things planned for their sports content next year. Earlier this morning, they announced that they reached a deal with Bally’s Corporation which will see Bally Sports become the new name of Fox Sports RSNs. The 10-year deal, which is for a reported $85 million, will also see the companies partner on bringing sports betting to their telecasts.

Now, it looks like they will also be bringing the newly-branded RSNs direct-to-consumer. During their call to announce the partnership, company President and CEO Chris Ripley said their new streaming app will rollout first with TV Everywhere authentication, then they’ll be available via direct-to-consumer service. Ripley did not give any details on pricing, nor did he reveal whether or not the DTC offering will include all games.

During the RBC TMT Conference yesterday, Ripley also revealed that the company will be launching a new app to replace Fox Sports Go. The current Fox Sports Go app provides access to live sports and other content from Fox Regional Sports Networks.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Oh, f*** me with a rusty pod. I live outside the Carolinas, so seeing the 'Canes on TV is a rare occurrence (even rarer thanks to how NBC feels we should be allowed once a year on the road in Philly), but the fact this stuff will affect FS Midwest (and FS Indiana, which has Pacers games) means I'm not out of the woods.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I'm intrigued by the direct-to-consumer idea, but the devil is going to be in the details. But Bally Sports? Come on, man.

Also, Sinclair still sucks.
Indeed. They needed an infusion of cash or they were going to be forced to unload the networks.

As a frequent Fox Sports Go user, I am not too confident in their app making and launch abilities either. Hopefully, it’s just an update initially but this makes it sound like a number of changes are planned ...from the presser:
By integrating gamification elements that allow audiences a more personalized and interactive game experience, consumers of live sports in the future can look forward to a more dynamic and engaging sports viewing experience. With the U.S. sports betting and iGaming market expected to ultimately reach ~$50 billion at maturity, this partnership perfectly positions our sports portfolio to fully capitalize on changing audience behavior."

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Indeed. They needed an infusion of cash or they were going to be forced to unload the networks.

As a frequent Fox Sports Go user, I am not too confident in their app making and launch abilities either. Hopefully, it’s just an update initially but this makes it sound like a number of changes are planned ...from the presser:
This all sounds like the type of tech that football league Dundon bought was trying to roll out.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Any updates on an agreement with any streaming service? I've cancelled Hulu Live.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Any updates on an agreement with any streaming service? I've cancelled Hulu Live.
This is the only streaming service I've found that has had content reliably...

carcinogens-taint-drinking-water-far-from-flint-raise-cancer-risk-article-image.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No, and given the fact that the NBA season has started without an agreement, I wouldn't hold your breath on the NHL's start suddenly making it all work.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Per this article, Sinclair says they expect to launch the new Bally's direct to consumer experience streaming app in April right (replacing Fox Sports) shortly after the MLB season launches. Until then, it's looking like Spectrum or ATT for the Canes unless the streaming services come to the table again. Maybe having more content available soon via NBA and NHL will prompt them to make a move.

During an investor call last month detailing the Bally’s partnership, Sinclair President and CEO Chris Ripley revealed plans for a new app for the regional sports networks that will introduce a “direct-to-consumer experience.” In other words, fans will be able to subscribe directly to Fox Sports Ohio and SportsTime Ohio, which will soon be rebranded under the Bally’s name, without an existing subscription to a pay-TV provider like they do with HBO Max, Netflix, ESPN+, etc.,
Ripley said live in-market games will be available at launch, which he anticipates will happen in the spring for existing subscribers with the standalone option becoming available “shortly thereafter.” It’s not yet known how much the service will cost.

Still, the new offering doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to have to add yet another subscription to your monthly streaming bill. Ripley also said the Bally’s deal could be the match that reignites talks with providers that have dropped the regional sports networks over the past year.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Like my YTTV; not ever doing Spectrum. Looking at something like Nord VPN and NHL subscriptions on my Android TV. Around $5 per Canes game; all others just bonus. Sucks but when looking at it like that it makes it easier to swallow.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Would anyone else find use in a stickied thread where Post #1 is a run-down of where Canes games can be found...or would that run afoul of the rules?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad