News Article: There are no local streaming options for the 2021 Hurricanes season

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
I have ATTnow but the only way to get regional sports it’s on the highest package. I’m an original subscribing and a phone customers so I’m grandfathered in.....for now. These tv companies are really trying their hardest to get people to do things without paying them for their nonsense.

Oh and to add, I have to watch on Fox Sports Go because ATTnow has my location in Georgia even though I’m smack dab in the middle of NC. Luckily the FsGo has me in the correct zone

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yep. I mean what's left at this point? Hulu? Because I'm sure as f*** not getting Spectrum cable.

I like Spectrum more than TWC, but that's a low bar. But I haven't found an option good enough to push me to switch yet.

Is there Fiber around you? I wouldn't touch AT&T with a 29 1/2 foot pole after they spent multiple years continuing to bill me for internet service I canceled (including chasing me to a new state!)

Google if you have it, otherwise I guess it's satellite. I think DirecTV still has the RSNs; Dish doesn't.

Last edited:

AeroFishOne

Feb 5, 2010
I like Spectrum more than TWC, but that's a low bar. But I haven't found an option good enough to push me to switch yet.

Is there Fiber around you? I wouldn't touch AT&T with a 29 1/2 foot pole after they spent multiple years billing me for internet service I canceled (including chasing me to a new state!)

Google if you have it, otherwise I guess it's satellite. I think DirecTV still has the RSNs; Dish doesn't.

Direct Tv was the best service I ever had with great customer service until ATT bought them out. Only reason I went streaming was the price.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah unfortunately satellite isn't an option with my apartment building. Ideally Fox sports would go full ESPN+ for the streaming but they're still apparently not interested in just simply taking my money instead of having to go through a middle man.

Reactions: AeroFishOne

AeroFishOne

Feb 5, 2010
Yeah unfortunately satellite isn't an option with my apartment building. Ideally Fox sports would go full ESPN+ for the streaming but they're still apparently not interested in just simply taking my money instead of having to go through a middle man.
I would love that option

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Direct Tv was the best service I ever had with great customer service until ATT bought them out.
I hate this bullshit that they buy out a superior quality small competitor to shut it down so that there'll be only their own inferior crap in the market.

Reactions: AeroFishOne

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yep. I mean what's left at this point? Hulu? Because I'm sure as f*** not getting Spectrum cable.
It's funny because it feels like these streaming services are trying to push people back to cable with their sudden and steady price increases along with randomly picking up and dropping channels all the time. We pay for YouTube TV at work and with Google recently increasing its price I don't really feel too bad about paying for cable. Yes I might pay double just for cable TV but I get way more channels and generally most of the things you get with YouTube TV like being able to watch in a browser or app on my phone.

AeroFishOne

Feb 5, 2010
It's funny because it feels like these streaming services are trying to push people back to cable with their sudden and steady price increases along with randomly picking up and dropping channels all the time. We pay for YouTube TV at work and with Google recently increasing its price I don't really feel too bad about paying for cable. Yes I might pay double just for cable TV but I get way more channels and generally most of the things you get with YouTube TV like being able to watch in a browser or app on my phone.

When Direct TV Now Started, I was paying 15 dollars a month for the best package with RSNs because I got a 20 dollar credit for phone service. Now I pay 50 and would be paying 70 bucks if I wanted sports. The only reason I haven’t switched is because with the discount it’s hard to find cheaper

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I won't pay any of them a dime.

I'll pay the NHL directly, and that's it.

If I could get WVU sports some other way I'm about 99.9% sure that would be the direction I take as well.

Yep. I won't outright say it's collusion, but given how many of these steaming services are outright owned by the cable companies it sure as hell feels like they're deliberately trying to drive anyone that wants to watch local sports back to the cable and dish packages that cost twice as much. I think the only one that isn't owned by either a cable co or broadcast network is Youtube

Reactions: cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So with Fox Sports being dropped by Hulu and YouTube TV, its going to be very difficult for anyone who cut the cord to watch their local hockey teams going forward.

I wonder how long it'll take for a lot of these regional broadcasting contracts to be torn up. At a certain point, if Sinclair isn't going to allow the Canes to be broadcast in their local market, that's a breach of contract, no?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So with Fox Sports being dropped by Hulu and YouTube TV, its going to be very difficult for anyone who cut the cord to watch their local hockey teams going forward.

I wonder how long it'll take for a lot of these regional broadcasting contracts to be torn up. At a certain point, if Sinclair isn't going to allow the Canes to be broadcast in their local market, that's a breach of contract, no?
Wait it's gone from Hulu now as well? Well now we're shit out of luck. God do I not want to go back to f***ing Spectrum.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Wait it's gone from Hulu now as well? Well now we're shit out of luck. God do I not want to go back to f***ing Spectrum.
Ek8BhN8UcAAIlgz

Reactions: Unsustainable

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I guess I will not be watching in that case... <<eyepatch emoji>>
:arr:

But no, seriously, if YouTube.tv wants to jack up the price by adding stations I don't want, but both them and Sinclair aren't willing to budge on the ones I do want. f*** it, NHL tv and a good VPN are cheaper for me anyway in that case.

The big problem is that that (outside of YouTube) the streaming companies are still owned either by cable/dish providers or the networks. So of course they'll act like cable companies, because that's what they f***ing are. There has yet to be a true alternative (again outside YouTube who acts like the other providers) and a la carte is only being explored at a single network service level with ESPN+, CBS, and NBC to my knowledge so far. The option that finally possesses true a la carte will finally be a game changer.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
:arr:
There has yet to be a true alternative (again outside YouTube who acts like the other providers) and a la carte is only being explored at a single network service level with ESPN+, CBS, and NBC to my knowledge so far. The option that finally possesses true a la carte will finally be a game changer.

....which is one reason that having ESPN as the NHL broadcast partner wouldn't necessarily suck.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
....which is one literally the only reason that having ESPN as the NHL broadcast partner wouldn't necessarily suck.
Adjusted for my take

And it still doesn't help much going that direction. We'd go from maybe 1-3 games a year on national broadcast to at most 5 since NBCSN props up the markets they own the RSNs in, but we're still small market enough for ESPN to not give a shit about. We'd still be SOL the other 77 games unless ESPN could come to an agreement to get all league games on ESPN+. Frankly we're more likely to see the NHL lift all regional broadcast restrictions for NHLtv than we are to get that.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad