YouTube in Talks to Stream NBA, NHL Games Live

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...be-in-talks-to-stream-nba-nhl-games-live.html

Very interesting article mentioning that Youtube is considering a deal with the NHL to stream NHL games. I think this is great news for the NHL, and will allow the league to be more accessible worldwide, given the accessibility and popularity of Youtube.

It will be interesting to see if the NHL goes along with this, and what pay-structure they would adopt. Would it create additional revenue streams?

DaveTheHockeyFan*

Meh, I'll just stick to GameCenter Live on my PS3. Don't care much about the NBA other than my hometown Sacramento Kings.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Something like what they do with Yahoo is my guess.

That would be my guess although I have a feeling that many fans don't even realize that Yahoo streams games. It isn't promoted by the league very much.

On a related note, how many people remember when the NHL partnered with Google Video? The NHL allowed people to watch full games free for two weeks after they occurred on Google Video. That lasted all of three months and Google Video has largely disappeared since Google acquired YouTube. I would imagine the league's partners killed the Google deal but there was nothing official about it. Instead, the NHL just abandoned their Google Video profile and that was it. Hopefully, a deal with YouTube has longer legs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Live streaming... direct competition to Center Ice, national 'casts and/or regional 'casts.

Regional 'casters would probably want to have "local" blackouts (similar to how they can black out a non-exclusive national game, CI).

Although it might be nice to stream through BluRay player in HD on TV. (Playback of YT is only partial screen last time I used it.)

FTR, Puck Daddy (Sean Leahy, specifically) has done a pretty good job of tweeting which game was on Yahoo that evening.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Live streaming... direct competition to Center Ice, national 'casts and/or regional 'casts.

Regional 'casters would probably want to have "local" blackouts (similar to how they can black out a non-exclusive national game, CI).

Although it might be nice to stream through BluRay player in HD on TV. (Playback of YT is only partial screen last time I used it.)

FTR, Puck Daddy (Sean Leahy, specifically) has done a pretty good job of tweeting which game was on Yahoo that evening.

Sean Leahy isn't the league. I'm talking about the NHL itself. Leahy and Puck Daddy do promote it, as they should since it's through their site, but unless you read PD or follow them on Twitter, you're hard pressed to see it listed anyplace else. If I go to NHL.com and click on "watch live games online", all I get are ads for GCL. There isn't even a mention of "Hockey Night on Y!" anyplace on NHL.com. Shouldn't they be promoting that on the front page someplace that Yahoo is streaming the Ducks/Kings game tonight? Perhaps when its closer to gametime, they do promote it, but you would think they'd like to advertise it someplace in advance besides Yahoo. Just seems like a missed opportunity by the league. FWIW, Versus doesn't promote it either, and they are the sponsors of "Hockey Night on Y!"

Back to the main topic at hand :) The NHL is now denying that they are negotiating with YouTube for live streaming.

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
That would be my guess although I have a feeling that many fans don't even realize that Yahoo streams games. It isn't promoted by the league very much.

On a related note, how many people remember when the NHL partnered with Google Video? The NHL allowed people to watch full games free for two weeks after they occurred on Google Video. That lasted all of three months and Google Video has largely disappeared since Google acquired YouTube. I would imagine the league's partners killed the Google deal but there was nothing official about it. Instead, the NHL just abandoned their Google Video profile and that was it. Hopefully, a deal with YouTube has longer legs.

All those games are still available in Google Video. The NHL's "home page" was the only thing removed and unfortunately that was the only real index for them. We've been trying to get them all re-archived here:

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/nhl.php

If you just pick your team and choose the 2006-07 Season from the archived games list you can see what's there. For example here's the Bruins:

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/nhl/200607/boston.php

I agree though that the NHL provides free live content in abundance. You just need to know where to look for it. As you say it's not promoted much at all.

CBC streams every HNIC broadcast in Canada, Yahoo streams 1-2 games nearly every night in the US, and TSN also does stream a select few games throughout the year. The NBC game of the week is now also streaming for free in the US.

So just between those 4 sources you're getting around a dozen free games per week. That's pretty significant.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad