Youtube and NHL make agreement

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
corporate fan..huh?
Not really, no. It just never ceases to amaze... the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" treatment that Bettman and the league so often receive. Had the story been "NHL declines to partner with YouTube," one would have struggled to keep up with all of the scathing posts along the lines of "Bettman screws up another opportunity" or "There's the NHL dropping the ball again on a chance for great exposure."
Here, the NHL actually does something right, capitalizes on an opportunity to expose even more people to its product, and right out of the gate, we have your post ripping them for it.

Last edited:

rwilson99

Wonderful move by the NHL. It sucks because users won't be able to put up clips that NHL seems to miss. I wish users were allowed to put it on YouTube. That was the whole fun of it all.

Good move nevertheless.

Chances are the user built clips will still be allowed, the NHL has permitted them thus far without a formal agreement.

The NHL will be posting professionally designed videos as well.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
because YouTube has a lot more exposure than NHL.com (sadly).

youtube has more exposure than just about any website out there right now. there's no shame in being below it.

i still don't know if it's true that fan video's will be removed from youtube, but it's a shame if it's true. youtube may get more exposure than nhl.com, but i personally don't care. If i want highlights, there are plenty of places to go for them. If i want a replay of a goal from ten years ago or a collection of scott steven's biggest hits or a collection of highlights from some european prospect, it's not gonna be on NHL.com.

Maybe that stuff will still be on youtube, who knows. But if it's not, it's a huge waste of potential viral marketing.
Think about it : Say MLS signs a deal with youtube; are you gonna go to youtube to look for the highlights all of a sudden (assuming you aren't a fan) or are you gonna click on a link that says "New York vs Washington MLS Highlights"? Or are you more likely to click on a link that says "Freddy Adu Fantastic Goal Reel!!!".

Personally, it's an easy answer for me.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Just a question: What is the difference between active and proactive?

If you're serious.... proactive means taking the initiative, taking action as soon as it's needed, without waiting for instructions or directions.

Active just means taking action.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
You can still post hockey clips on googlevideo, I would imagine it would be the same with Youtube considering it is the same company now.

Puckhead just wants another thing to blame Bettman for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad