Youth movement the backbone of the Manchester Monarchs 2012-13 season

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Los Angeles Kings minor league affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs, is absolutely packed and brimming with talent of all shapes and sizes. Through recent drafting and promotion of junior level prospects, the Monarchs have filled their lines and pairings with a wealth of two-way talent, defensive talent, goal-scorers, and grinders.

The Monarchs got off to a white-hot start and were among the best in the league. However, in recent happenings the team has fallen into the grind of the season, with injuries and streaky play taking a toll. The team has relied most on its rookie and sophomore talent pool, players like Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, and Linden Vey, to get them back on track.… read more

More...

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Nice write up Jason Lewis.

Solid article and a quick hit of info on the kids. I may not entirely agree with a couple of takes but overall a good article and really informative.

Thanks for taking the time.

TKFAN

Dec 3, 2006
New Hampshire
Very disappointing Nov and Dec for Jones, his head certainly isn't screwed on right for last 2 months. I literally hold my breath every time the puck goes towards the net if Jones is playing. One time he will make an awesome save and next time he lets one in that a high school goalie could stop. Mannino has earned the job of #1 goalie that was handed to Jones. Do hope things improve for Jones as Monarchs need both to be playing well

Muzzin isn't having a good year so far, before lockout, I really thought Muzzin would be the 1st d man called up by the Kings.

Last edited:

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks guys, working on a few edits. Andrew Campbell's section actually got conjoined with Hickey (Not sure how that happened). Getting it cleaned up as we speak!

As always thanks a ton for the reads and support :)

TG if you want hit me up with a PM and we can talk about your takes on players. Always interested on your opinions on player evals!

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
I liked this article really a lot. Almost only thing, which I disgreee, is that Toffoli is only 5'11. I think he is 6'0 or even a little bit (1/2 inch) taller.

But anyway he, Vey and Pearson are solid NHL-prospects - they need to get more stregth and experience, but all three have enough skill and hockeysense to play in the NHL.

edit.

And I must say that Linden Vey is our most underrated prospect. He is a really smart with the puck and a tireless worker - not physical as physical as should, but not liability either. And I also think all our d-man prospects in the AHL are overrated. I don't see any NHL-level talent there. I really hope, that our prospects in the CHL and NCAA are better than these youngsters (Muzzin, Hickey, Campbell, DesLauriers, Kolomatis).

Last edited:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I liked this article really a lot. Almost only thing, which I disgreee, is that Toffoli is only 5'11. I think he is 6'0 or even a little bit (1/2 inch) taller.

But anyway he, Vey and Pearson are solid NHL-prospects - they need to get more stregth and experience, but all three have enough skill and hockeysense to play in the NHL.
Toffoli is definitely at least 6'0".

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
While it's surely been a disappointing year thus far for the Monarchs, I'm really (really) excited about the Pearson-Vey-Toffoli line. All three guys have been playing great.

Toffoli, as touted as he is, has got to be the biggest surprise thus far. He's second in the league in goals among rookies, and he's playing on an offensively-challenged Monarchs team. As Jason said in his write-up, defensively, he's been responsible, and that's the most telling part of his game. He leads the Monarchs in +-, which is pretty remarkable, considering the flack he got for his laziness in Ottawa.

We might have a gem, folks.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
When I saw Toffoli after the rookie camp, I thought he was definitely 6'0"

Rod Buskas*

any chance Hickey could develop into Scuderi's replacement by next season?

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Nice write up. Agree with a lot of what you said. Kozun is a guy I'm rooting for. He's small but has got a lot of heart and determination! As you mention willing to get into the dirty areas, although he sometimes is pushed around.I still love the fact he gets in there.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
any chance Hickey could develop into Scuderi's replacement by next season?

There's a chance.... He's really becoming more of a stay at home d-man. Although he's a bit undersized for that role in the NHL imo. But if it were my choice I re-up Scuderi for another 2 years and try to trade Hickey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad