Youth Hockey Thread

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
No idea if there is any interest, but there should be a place to discuss youth hockey. A lot of us have kids playing at different levels of competition as well as some just starting out at learn to skate and some who have lived the entire life through Bantams and Midgets. So I figured good discussion could be had on a variety of issues re: youth hockey. It is not only a commitment for the child but one for the parent as well. Furthermore it becomes difficult for many to navigate the waters of youth hockey and what is right and wrong (and in between) for their kids.

Also would be fun to talk about tournaments around the country, the ADM, and other developments in coaching.

So, any other hockey dads (and moms) out there?

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
My son played for a year, but decided he'd rather play tennis for the moment. He's 6.

My daughter just started playing and loves it, she's 10. She'll play with squirts this season.

I asst coached for mites and beginners, and it was a total blast.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
My son played for a year, but decided he'd rather play tennis for the moment. He's 6.

My daughter just started playing and loves it, she's 10. She'll play with squirts this season.

I asst coached for mites and beginners, and it was a total blast.

I love Mite hockey. I coach both ends of the spectrum. My daughter who is 6 will be going into her second year of house league and I dont know if she will ever go the travel route.....I think she just really wants to be out there because she knows I like it. My son, otoh, is going into his final year of Mites and plays AAA Elite. I am sure Squirts will be fun as well, but I have had a blast teaching kids who are just starting out.

Anyway, hope this thread has some legs and people can use it as both for discussion and as a resource for questions as the season gets going.

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Can you describe what each age group is called?

For us in BC we have House 1-4 then atom for ages 9-10 then peewee for 11-12 then 13-14 bantam and 15-16 midget hockey.

What is it for the US?...so we can understand mites and squirts etc....

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Can you describe what each age group is called?

For us in BC we have House 1-4 then atom for ages 9-10 then peewee for 11-12 then 13-14 bantam and 15-16 midget hockey.

What is it for the US?...so we can understand mites and squirts etc....

Typically it looks like:

Learn to skate program
Mites 4-8 (typically if any 4 year olds play Mites it is house only)
Squirts 9-10
Pee Wee 11-12
Bantams 13-14
Midgets 15-16

So if I understand you correct Atoms are ages 9-10? I always thought that Atoms was equivalent to Mites. It looks like you skipped an age group somewhere.

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Typically it looks like:

Learn to skate program
Mites 4-8 (typically if any 4 year olds play Mites it is house only)
Squirts 9-10
Pee Wee 11-12
Bantams 13-14
Midgets 15-16

So if I understand you correct Atoms are ages 9-10? I always thought that Atoms was equivalent to Mites. It looks like you skipped an age group somewhere.

Our Atom would be your Squirts.
Our House 1-4 would be your Mites 4-8. ie House 4 would be Mites 8,House 3 would be Mites 7, House 2 would be Mites 6, House 1 would be Mites 5....

btw thanks ..nice to know what they match up as

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad