Sep 19, 2008
England 4-4 on penalties.

Japan on the verge of elimination.

Kirby, good. It'll be England and USA.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know our U17s have gotten into form since the iran match, but god damn is it hard to stop thinking about what could've been if Mbom were healthy, Frùchtl could've gone with, and we made a slight tweak to the formation:

Kuhn - Arp
Jastrzembski* - Mbom - Abouchabaka - Yeboah*
Cetin
Nitzl - Bisseck - Mai
Früchtl

*Ngankam​

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brazil it is...probably the end of this german team unless their defensive security was real and not just a mirage of the last two matches, but Mbom's absence is truly felt, and our coach has failed to fit Abouchabaka, Arp & Kuhn all into their best spots together, so we only start two of those 4 golden 2000ers at once. So we may struggle to outscore a dangerous team if Arp isn't going to just do it all himself again.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Brazil it is...probably the end of this german team unless their defensive security was real and not just a mirage of the last two matches, but Mbom's absence is truly felt, and our coach has failed to fit Abouchabaka, Arp & Kuhn all into their best spots together, so we only start two of those 4 golden 2000ers at once. So we may struggle to outscore a dangerous team if Arp isn't going to just do it all himself again.

Gonna be a great game. Didn't catch any German match in this tournament but if they are at the same level as the Spain team then it's gonna be a really hard and enjoyable match. USA x England also will be a great matchup, England couldn't beat Japan w/o Sancho...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gonna be a great game. Didn't catch any German match in this tournament but if they are at the same level as the Spain team then it's gonna be a really hard and enjoyable match. USA x England also will be a great matchup, England couldn't beat Japan w/o Sancho...

I fear a repeat of the Iran match. This teamm has some great talents, but the best ones have yet to be integrated into the same side successfully by the coach and the defending was very questionable to start the tourney, though it was much improved against Colombia.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah England will really miss Sancho at this stage. Still hope they beat the US though.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
England has the best u17 team in the world. Can't stop saying how amazing Foden is, too bad he'll have a hard timing cracking this City lineup. We had our chances, but Lincoln and Brenner missed some sitters while Brewster scored all his three chances, this kid is clutch AF. Would've been an even better game if Sancho and Vinicius were playing, but still a really entertaining match.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England win the final 5-2. 2-0 down after 30 mins. Brewster pulled a goal back. Then a 4-0 2nd half, 2 goals by Foden. Exciting group, hope they get the first team chances they deserve.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
England has the best u17 team in the world. Can't stop saying how amazing Foden is, too bad he'll have a hard timing cracking this City lineup. We had our chances, but Lincoln and Brenner missed some sitters while Brewster scored all his three chances, this kid is clutch AF. Would've been an even better game if Sancho and Vinicius were playing, but still a really entertaining match.
I don't think this tournament means much. Nigeria won the last 2 tournaments and they hardly produced world class players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious question since I don't follow nor care about football prospects...

Do these U9, U16, U19, U20 teams ever do anything major once they hit their primes? I keep coming across bogus headlines in the English media about how England are favourites for the 2026 World Cup because they won this tournament.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Curious question since I don't follow nor care about football prospects...

Do these U9, U16, U19, U20 teams ever do anything major once they hit their primes? I keep coming across bogus headlines in the English media about how England are favourites for the 2026 World Cup because they won this tournament.

The 2014 WC winner was built largely on the backs of a lot of players who had a lot of success together either our u19 or u21 team in 2009; but of course that was a great age group coming into form the new core of an already strong team.

It's promising for them moving forward, and it would certainly make beating the English a little more fun if they had a better team; but it doesn't guarantee anything as just as often these tourneys are dominated by teams who are more physical developed at earlier ages rather than by those that have the greatest skill/intelligence/potential moving forward.

Reactions: S E P H

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I don't think this tournament means much. Nigeria won the last 2 tournaments and they hardly produced world class players.

yeah It doesn't mean they all gonna have the same impact in senior football nor does this mean England gonna be next contender in the WC duo to this u17 team (the top nations always have guys that develop later and end up obfuscating guys that used to shine in the youth level). I just hope Foden get some PT with City or move to Bundesliga to get PT + be coached by good managers (although if he does get PT with City he'll be coached by the best).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's a fantastic achievement for english football.
Something's going on in their academy system.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's a fantastic achievement for english football.
Something's going on in their academy system.

Clubs having money to take youth coaches from countries like the Netherlands is going to change football in a very weird way. Apparently quite common now. Liverpool did that and obviously have some pretty good U-18's now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pep Lijnders, by all reports, is a genius. Glad he turned down numerous coaching jobs to stay with Liverpool.

But yes, the English are starting to invest more in their academies, and more importantly are actually changing their approach to talent development. You can see it in a number of their most prominent prospects right now. Will it all come together to form a powerhouse NT on the level of Spain/Germany? We'll see. Their chances are certainly better than in the past.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The problem is will these players get playing time in the EPL. At least some younger English players are starting to move abroad.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The problem is will these players get playing time in the EPL. At least some younger English players are starting to move abroad.

A good question. Jury's out. Solanke won the U-20 WC golden ball. Barely plays. Woodburn looked great for Wales. Barely plays. Onomah loaned to Villa. Walker-Peters barely plays.

Of course nobody would be cool with them playing and losing, so it presents a problem. Calvert-Lewin has played a lot for Everton and they keep losing, and I don't think he's that good either. So how many of these players will peak at 17 and 20? Definitely quite a few of them. Most if the past is any indication.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Let's not forget England also won U19 and U20 tournaments this year as well (as far as I recall), so there's more to their hope of competing hard for a WC in the near future than one youth comp win. But there's a lot of factors of course. Foden's a nice talent and I recall hearing Guardiola having a lot of praise for him, though for me personally he looks to have a dangerously large ego

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's what I meant by fantastic achievement. Winning one such tournament is something, winning almost everything is something else.

Yeah, we may have won the U21s with a B-team and the confed cup with our U21 A-team + the senior B-team; but this has been england's summer...pity we couldn't put our best u17s out there due to Mbom's injury, Früchtl needing the practice with Bayern's senior team, Evina not getting his german passport until after the WC, and our coach's tactics; cause that would've been one hell of a match.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think regardless of the exact combinations in 4 years it's very possible England could be starting Foden, Sancho, TAA and Brewster (among other strong talents). I really think this could be their 'golden generation ' as a team if it's handled properly and they get a good coach.

phv

Feb 27, 2016
A good question. Jury's out. Solanke won the U-20 WC golden ball. Barely plays. Woodburn looked great for Wales. Barely plays. Onomah loaned to Villa. Walker-Peters barely plays.

Of course nobody would be cool with them playing and losing, so it presents a problem. Calvert-Lewin has played a lot for Everton and they keep losing, and I don't think he's that good either. So how many of these players will peak at 17 and 20? Definitely quite a few of them. Most if the past is any indication.
I think England's 3 biggest talent in that age group weren't part of the U20 World Cup winning squad. I'm referring to Joe Gomez, Patrick Roberts and of course Rashford. From the players that won the U20 WC, I think only Onomah(excelling at Villa) and Solanke ( and maybe Walker-Peters) can become elite players.

I think regardless of the exact combinations in 4 years it's very possible England could be starting Foden, Sancho, TAA and Brewster (among other strong talents). I really think this could be their 'golden generation ' as a team if it's handled properly and they get a good coach.
Kane, Dele Alli, Sterling and Rashford will still be young in 4 years. And let's not forget the likes of Davies, Nelson, Willock, Dozzell, Sessegnon, Edwards and Mount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad