Youth Competitions

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spain/France in the U19 semis right now. It's very very hot and boths teams seem to suffer. Both teams had their moments but not much to get out of this game so far

Portugal, as expected, were a class above Ireland who had not much business being in the semis.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Good defensive game, not much offensive chances for either.
Penalty shootout it is.
Portugal slight favourite in the final IMO.

EDIT : France hasn't been scored one once in the tournament.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spain through on penalties. Game wasn't much of a game, and France is eliminated without losing a game and without being scored on.
The lack of scoring threats hurt them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
3 wins out of 3. Unconvincing 1-0 over Norway with the backups mostly.
France-Spain and Portugal-Ireland will be the semis. Ireland seems frankly not at the required level. Other 3 can win the tournament.

...this Norway team can be a very tough out for backups *sigh*

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spain beat Portugal 2-0 in the final.
Too bad France couldn't put them out in the semis in that PK shootout.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Great tournament from Portugal considering they were missing multiple key players who were kept on the pre-season squads of Benfica/Porto

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Ajacied @YNWA14, your sub-17 squad lost to ours today by a score of 3-1. We'll play again at the World Cup in two months, but this was our back ups that played today of a terrible 2002 generation of American players. Was the Netherlands squad back ups as well? I fully expected a defeat by 4 or 5 goals.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
@Ajacied @YNWA14, your sub-17 squad lost to ours today by a score of 3-1. We'll play again at the World Cup in two months, but this was our back ups that played today of a terrible 2002 generation of American players. Was the Netherlands squad back ups as well? I fully expected a defeat by 4 or 5 goals.

No idea. Wasn't even aware they played an exhibition today. I know most players from those 3 EC U17 titles have moved to the U18 and U19, but the U17 should still be loaded. Any links to a line-up or match summary?

EDIT: Found it. It's was a game between USA and Oranje U18. Oranje played with their B squad. Only one player also played vs Denmark, where Oranje fielded it's A-squad. That was Bannis. He missed an early penalty apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No idea. Wasn't even aware they played an exhibition today. I know most players from those 3 EC U17 titles have moved to the U18 and U19, but the U17 should still be loaded. Any links to a line-up or match summary?

EDIT: Found it. It's was a game between USA and Oranje U18. Oranje played with their B squad. Only one player also played vs Denmark, where Oranje fielded it's A-squad. That was Bannis. He missed an early penalty apparently.

Sorry, I wasn't aware it was called the U18's for Netherlands. I wonder why it's called the Oranje U18, considering they are playing in a FIFA U17 tournament next month. We call it U17's until the cycle is up.

Reactions: Ajacied

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
In one month and it doesn’t matter since Argentina will crush every1!!

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England u21s won 3-2 in Turkey on Friday. 2 nice finishes by Nketiah, first touch for the 2nd was great. Both made by Foden. Nelson scored the winner but missed an easier chance at 1-1 and was generally wasteful.

Disjointed performance but the individual quality of Nketiah and Foden won the game. Panzo showed some ability on the ball, playing in Foden for the first goal and assisting the winning goal. Greenwood and Brewster came off the bench, Greenwood looking lively but Brewster didn't get much time.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
4 goals in 2 games for edouard for france in u21 friendlies. probaby going to set the record for most goals in qualifying and in the u21 euros.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England u21s scrape by Kosovo 2-0 only securing the win in added time. Foden scored both, both rebounded to him. His second was nicely taken with a left foot touch then finishing with his right.

Kosovo had a great chance at 1-0 hitting the bar from 6 yards and another in the 2nd half, Aarons injured himself with a goal saving tackle. Kosovo's #10 Kastrati involved in both.

Aarons was England's standout along with Foden. Nelson also played well, unlucky to be subbed. Greenwood came on again but was quiet. Brewster's driving run down the LW created Foden's 2nd. Nketiah was tidy with the ball but missed a good chance after Foden chested the ball to him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A half-hour in our U21s are up 3-0 on the Welsh after a hattrick from Robin Hack. Janelt with some nice long balls in the build up to goals 2 & 3, and the former Bayern academy duo (Dorsch & Fein) have been moving the ball well -- Fein, in particular, has been very elegant in this match & looks like the player his fans hyped him up as -- but the most interesting development has been the play of our makeshift FBs.

Schlotterbeck is deputizing nicely on the left and Ridle Baku is marching up the right flank really impressively. He's a promising B2Ber, with some experience as a winger, but with the way he's looking at RB today; one can't help but wonder if he hasn't found his best position. Getting back well defensively and really driving the action forward when on the ball; the kid is really making a strong impression.

I really need to start watching Mainz' youth teams more, as Baku isn't even one of their hotshot top prospects. Those two, Eyibil & Papela, are still with the U19s.

EDIT:
...and Schlotterbeck creates the 4-0 after finding himself wide open on the left, setting Jojo up for a free header before the half.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nmecha decided to outdo Jojo's takedown from the first half were he reached back with his foot while battling 2 welsh defenders for position, by taking the ball down with an impressive reach to bring it down right into Baku's stride...whose (more attacking) twin brother has come on for Hack at LW.

I'm far from sold on Nmecha putting it all together, but he does have these regular flashes of impressive quality for the youth teams. Even if we did end up with the lesser brother.

EDIT:
It's nice to be moving past that dire 97 age group & the underwhelming 98ers. Though the 98ers are still at the heart of the U21 team, the more talented 99ers are in the picture for that squad & the much more talented 2000ers are starting to factor in with them as well in spots.

Though most of our 2000ers are either focusing on making the jump to the senior level/club-loans or are playing for U20 squad this season; Kuhn, Mbom, Yeboah, Ludewig, Früchtl, as well as B-prospects like Otto & Krüger, having been a part of a 2-1 victory over the Dutch U20s (who are still leading the elite league group). While the 2001ers are looking like a really fun U19 group.

If things go reasonably well, our youth teams should be back on an upswing by the next Olympic-qualifying U21 Euros. And if we pull it off; three straight olympic-qualifications would be one hell of a change from were things stood when I was a kid :laugh:

Last edited:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The UEFA youth league also kicks off this afternoon. It's a holiday in the city I live so I will be going to De Toekomst to watch Ajax play Lille at 14:00.

Ajax has a strong team. They will feature about 7 or 8 players from the Oranje U17 squads that won the EC back to back. Ajax' squad when fully healthy:

--------------------------- Brian Brobbey (88D) --------------------------
------- Naci Unuvar (92B) --------------- Sontje Hansen (84C) --------
Kenneth Taylor (83A) --------------------------- Jurriën Timber (80C)
--------------------------- Enric Llansala (79C) ----------------------------
Salah-Eddine (86C) ------------------------------------------ Filip Frei (-)
-------------- Devyn Rensch (87C) - Nordin Musampa (HM) -----------
---------------------------- Daan Reiziger (HM) ----------------------------

Not sure about Reiziger starting. He's the weak link of an immensely talented squad. Ajax also announced GK El Maach to be the dispensation player. Brobbey and Taylor injured right now. Haven't seen enough of Frei to grade him yet. Also in the selection is Christian Rasmussen (16). An intriguing Danish midfielder with high potential.

Gravenberch (17 years old - 90B) has outgrown the competition and was recently promoted to the A-squad, meaning he won't ever sniff youth football again. Dest (83C) made the A-selection as well. Traoré (83C) is about to. Victor Jensen (80C), Liam van Gelderen (80C) and the Timber brothers shift back and forth between the U19's and Ajax II. They could be in the squad as well.

This Ajax should be among the favorites, but I expect Taylor, Brobbey and the Timber brothers to join Ajax II shortly and not look back. I see Unuvar making his Ajax debut as well and finish the season with Ajax II, so I doubt the team will be able to build chemistry and reach far into the tournament, but if it stays in tact, I'm liking their chances.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Some pretty decent results today. Ajax blew Lille away 4 - 0 with goals from Unuvar, Regeer, Hansen and Rasmussen. The game seems like it was complete domination (9 shots on target to 1, 28 'dangerous attacks' to 8, etc.). Lyon beat Zenit 4 - 0 pretty impressively with Cherki starring. Dortmund also beat Barcelona 2 - 1 (with a tap in from Giovanni Reyna that people are getting hyped about).

I agree with Ajacied that if Ajax keep most of this team together they have a very good shot at the title this year. Their team is incredibly talented and have played together for a long time.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Moukouko couldn't do much against Barcelona, they were often able to make him run into blind alleys. Not that the service he got was anything special, though. On the whole, Dortmund played pretty well.

I hadn't realized that Michael Skibbe has come almost a full circle and is back at coaching the Dortmund youth team. Is it for personal reasons, I would have thought he could have keep on getting jobs managing men's teams in Turkey, Greece like he has been doing in previous years. Surely Dortmund can't pay the same for coaching a youth team that he would have been in those countries coaching men.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Yes, this was sheer domination. I don't think there was a moment in the first half where Lille had ball possession for twenty seconds straight. Lille doesn't have an UEFA youth league worthy team, IMO. I think the teams should just follow their own qualification process instead of letting the big boys do it for them. This system is very flawed.

Anyway, some notes:
  • According to De Telegraaf, 80 scouts were present at De Toekomst today.
  • Ajax played with four 16 year olds.
  • If you've never watched Unuvar before, you would have been in awe today, yet he can be much, much better. Scored a goal and was again throwing ridiculous through balls with the outside of his foot, doing Zidane pirouettes and showing immense ball control. But, he missed two 100% chances and turned it over a few times because he got more nonchalant as the game went on. I did like his coaching. For a kid who was still 15 two months ago, he really directed play out there.
  • Sontje Hansen was the man of the match. He played striker to replace Brobbey and didn't disappoint. Very active near the box and always managed to create dangerous opportunities no matter the defenders surrounding him. I added his goal below this post. Unfortunately for Hansen, he had to be taken off by stretcher near the end. Could be a serious ankle injury, which already nearly kept him out for this game in the first place.
  • Devyn Rensch is the next big thing. Once again a dominating performance both ways. His confidence with the ball and how easily he seems to defend, I think he's nearing a 90 rating on my list if he keeps this up.
  • Musampa also keeps impressing me. He does more than adequately replacing Kasanwirjo, who's still out injured.
  • Omar Tasci was inconsistent, but he's one of the most entertaining players in the squad.
  • Salah Eddine had a decent game but a bit sloppy in his forward passing.
  • El Maach is a decent keeper, and Ajax wants keepers to be the 12th player out there, but he made some questionable passes.
  • Quinten Timber worked his ass off, but when Ajax is playing so heavily on the opponents half, he just lacks the creativity.
  • Didn't like Frei that much. I don't see him having any future at Ajax.
  • Christian Rasmussen came in late but immediately left a good impression. Scored a goal, but just the way he moved and controlled the ball screams world class. Fans around me kept saying he's the next Christian Erikssen, but I think Erikssen was further ahead at this age.
Hansen's goal:

Last edited:
Reactions: gary69

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Moukouko couldn't do much against Barcelona, they were often able to make him run into blind alleys. Not that the service he got was anything special, though. On the whole, Dortmund played pretty well.

I hadn't realized that Michael Skibbe has come almost a full circle and is back at coaching the Dortmund youth team. Is it for personal reasons, I would have thought he could have keep on getting jobs managing men's teams in Turkey, Greece like he has been doing in previous years. Surely Dortmund can't pay the same for coaching a youth team that he would have been in those countries coaching men.

I liked Pherai (84C) here. Probably man of the match.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes, this was sheer domination. I don't think there was a moment in the first half where Lille had ball possession for twenty seconds straight. Lille doesn't have an UEFA youth league worthy team, IMO. I think the teams should just follow their own qualification process instead of letting the big boys do it for them. This system is very flawed.

Anyway, some notes:
  • According to De Telegraaf, 80 scouts were present at De Toekomst today.
  • Ajax played with four 16 year olds.
  • If you've never watched Unuvar before, you would have been in awe today, yet he can be much, much better. Scored a goal and was again throwing ridiculous through balls with the outside of his foot, doing Zidane pirouettes and showing immense ball control. But, he missed two 100% chances and turned it over a few times because he got more nonchalant as the game went on. I did like his coaching. For a kid who was still 15 two months ago, he really directed play out there.
  • Sontje Hansen was the man of the match. He played striker to replace Brobbey and didn't disappoint. Very active near the box and always managed to create dangerous opportunities no matter the defenders surrounding him. I added his goal below this post. Unfortunately for Hansen, he had to be taken off by stretcher near the end. Could be a serious ankle injury, which already nearly kept him out for this game in the first place.
  • Devyn Rensch is the next big thing. Once again a dominating performance both ways. His confidence with the ball and how easily he seems to defend, I think he's nearing a 90 rating on my list if he keeps this up.
  • Musampa also keeps impressing me. He does more than adequately replacing Kasanwirjo, who's still out injured.
  • Omar Tasci was inconsistent, but he's one of the most entertaining players in the squad.
  • Salah Eddine had a decent game but a bit sloppy in his forward passing.
  • El Maach is a decent keeper, and Ajax wants keepers to be the 12th player out there, but he made some questionable passes.
  • Quinten Timber worked his ass off, but when Ajax is playing so heavily on the opponents half, he just lacks the creativity.
  • Didn't like Frei that much. I don't see him having any future at Ajax.
  • Christian Rasmussen came in late but immediately left a good impression. Scored a goal, but just the way he moved and controlled the ball screams world class. Fans around me kept saying he's the next Christian Erikssen, but I think Erikssen was further ahead at this age.
Hansen's goal:

Yeah as I mentioned in the summer Rensch really impressed me and looks very promising. Probably my favourite of their upcoming CBs post de Ligt.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also Rayan Cherki completed 18!!!! dribbles against Zenit's youth team. Ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad