Youth Competitions

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Make it 3 nil now on a brilliant long range effort from Maatsen. This could get ugly...Italy already putting in rash tackles everywhere.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
U17 final today...Netherlands completely dominating Italy at the moment and just got their deserved 2nd to go 2-0 (could easily be worse for Italy too). Only have to be wary of desperate counters, but these teams don't look on the same level at all. Would have much rather seen Netherlands vs. France.

This team mops the floor with France as well.

They are toying with Italy and that's with their best player sidelined. This team is undefeated in 24 out of the last 25 games.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This team mops the floor with France as well.

They are toying with Italy and that's with their best player sidelined. This team is undefeated in 24 out of the last 25 games.
I dunno if they mop the floor but I just think it would have been a better game. This scoreline flatters Italy...Netherlands could easily have scored 8. Unuvar is so so good. Imagine if they had Ihattaren and Gravenberch as well.

It's crazy to think coming off back to back u17 Euro wins and next year's team might even be better than the last 2. The future looks very bright atm.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, they don't mop the floor with France.
They met in the group stage and France was mopping Holland, albeit without a few starters.
I don't see how you can seriously say this.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They met in the group stage and France was mopping Holland, albeit without a few starters.
France didn't mop Holland...outside of the goals everything was even though as mentioned they were resting most of their starters and France needed a result.

I think the Netherlands team is better and would have won but it would have been a much better game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't know who would have won but to say one team would mop the other given the previous encounter is not just ridiculous, it's not just bias, it's a lack of brains really.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Oranje fielded their B squad and had nothing to play for, whereas France had to win/tie to advance. Even then:

France: 29 dangerous attacks, 4 attempts, 2 on target, 3 yellows.
The Netherlands: 36 dangerous attacks, 5 attempts, 2 on target, 1 yellow.

Sure sounds like a dominating performance from France.

Oranje in their strongest line up would beat France. Not a doubt in my mind. They've pretty much cruised through the qualification rounds and final tournament without once having all their players fit.

4 titles in 9 years; dominating the most telling age group. Hopefully this translates to pro succes a bit in the near future.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Most telling age group? U17? Seriously? :laugh:
France cruised to every game starting from the halftime of the England game (where they finally put their best players on the field). The Italy game was just unfortunate, since Italy had 2 shots on goal.
France dismantled the rest.

B squad? That's not true. I think they missed 3 or 4 players. But, hey more power to you.

You make an utterly ridiculous claim with nothing to back it up except your own fantasies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Most telling age group? U17? Seriously? :laugh:
France cruised to every game starting from the halftime of the England game (where they finally put their best players on the field). The Italy game was just unfortunate, since Italy had 2 shots on goal.
France dismantled the rest.

B squad? That's not true. I think they missed 3 or 4 players. But, hey more power to you.

You make an utterly ridiculous claim with nothing to back it up except your own fantasies.

• Most telling age group; for sure. I like it just a tad better than the U15's.
  • Oranje's starting line-up featured 8 different players vs France. Not 3 or 4. If that doesn't count as a B squad, I'm not sure what will.
  • Which 'utterly ridiculous claim' are you talking about?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
"mop the floor".
Sorry that's way more than utterly ridiculous. It's Pejorative Slured.

And how is U17 more telling than U19 or U20? :laugh:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
"mop the floor".
Sorry that's way more than utterly ridiculous. It's ******ed.

Mop the floor might have been a bit much, but I'd be very confident in a win.

Because the the best players from the U19's and U20's play for the pro's. Though that happens with the U17 occasionally as well, as Oranje missed Gravenberch and Ihatarran. Both even skipped the U19/U20's and turned pro.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
"mop the floor".
Sorry that's way more than utterly ridiculous. It's ******ed.

I could see the u17 being more indicative of a nations upcoming talent because often enough by u19 the best of the best don't get released to play by their clubs, but it's old enough where the real talents are starting to break through. Even this year at the u17 Holland didn't have Ihattaren and Gravenberch because they're with the senior teams.

It would be interesting to see some kind of correlative study.

Reactions: Ajacied

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Nigeria have won the u17 World Cup three times this century, which can explain why we're entering an era of Nigerian dominance.

:rolleyes:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, that's a weird, weird thing to say.
I posted something about "where are they now" from the 2015 U17 victory and you see some still struggling at 19. So...

There's no real indicative except the senior NT of course, but yeah, from there it's from older to younger. U19 might miss an Mbappe, but everyone knows he's there.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Uefa Euro U21 tournament has started in Italy. The best teams also qualify for next year' s Olympics.

Hosts Italy with an important win over Spain in a hard fought match. And now Germany are about to beat Denmark. No leeway for defeats as only group winners are guaranteed a semi-final spot (plus the best runner-up).

A good number of players are already regulars at their clubs and some have even a number full internations on their belt already. I've barely watched Augsburg, but Marco Richter looks like a good finisher at this level. Andreas Skov Olsen must have lot of suitors watching him after the season he had.

From the bigger teams France and England are yet to play, so it's too early to make any meaningful predictions.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Will be interesting to see how this german team does. The midfield has more quality options than we could fit onto the pitch with Maier, Dahoud, Amiri, Neuhaus & Eggestein Sr. With Tah anchoring the backline alongside good FB options; the biggest question marks will be upfront...unless this ends up being JoJo's breakout tourney...and if Kuntz keeps starting Baumgartl next to Tah, that too will be a problem.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Will be interesting to see how this german team does. The midfield has more quality options than we could fit onto the pitch with Maier, Dahoud, Amiri, Neuhaus & Eggestein Sr. With Tah anchoring the backline alongside good FB options; the biggest question marks will be upfront...unless this ends up being JoJo's breakout tourney...and if Kuntz keeps starting Baumgartl next to Tah, that too will be a problem.
There are a lot of midfield options indeed; how has Maier's progression been? I remember being really impressed previously but haven't been able to follow up of late, and his 'ratings' have been less than complimentary.

Richter seems to be an interesting player. I feel like if they didn't start the younger Eggestein he probably won't get much usage.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
In a span of about 5 minutes early in the 1st half Croatia conceded two goals and lost their best player to injury, terrible start

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Two of the goal scorers for Romania...Puscas and Hagi :D

It's nice to see that so many of those kids have progressed reasonably well since the U17s; Marin, Coman, Man, Hagi, Puscas, Manea, Baluta, etc. They're no push-overs at this tourney even if they're likely to get outclassed in their remaining matches. Looking forward to watching this one on the weekend.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There are a lot of midfield options indeed; how has Maier's progression been? I remember being really impressed previously but haven't been able to follow up of late, and his 'ratings' have been less than complimentary.

Richter seems to be an interesting player. I feel like if they didn't start the younger Eggestein he probably won't get much usage.

Ups & downs. Though he enjoyed more ups than downs as compared to Geiger...who really had an unfortunate season with health & performances. Can't really complain too much with Maier; as his growing pains haven't been hideous and I don't think Hertha's style of play benefits him nearly as much as our NT should. But I started going back to school, so haven't watched nearly as much non-Eiserne or BMG football this past season.

I don't think I've ever seen Richter play in possession prior to his appearance on the U21s...and Oztunali's brainlessness always helps make our other attackers look much more clever...so I just don't know what to make of Richter at this tourney at all, even if he has a phenomenal showing :laugh:

The thing with JoJo is that he's done quite well as a joker for Werder. So I think he could make a big impact off of the bench whenever we stumble in one of these group games...as we inevitably will with this front 3. So if that happens in the next match, I would expect him to start the third one.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
England was more threatining in the early procedings against France, but didn't capitalize on their chances. Then France got into the game and Henderson did a good save on Dembele's penalty kick. Based on the play, it's surprising this is still scoreless.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
yeah the french midfield was beaten time and time again in the first 20 minutes. When they lost the ball, they were disorganized and England could pound on that backline.
It was fortunate Solanke couldn't score the easy goal.
Then France started to control the ball much better and should have scored the penalty obviously.
Tied game is probably fair. But indeed, it should be 1-1.

Reactions: gary69

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England playing well. Better than I and expected. Foden, Clarke-Salter and Maddison playing well. Solanke looks a bit rusty. Some nice passes over the top by Clarke-Salter that Solanke should do better with. Foden and Maddison could be starters in the seniors in a year or two. Maddison should be there now. Penalty was a bit harsh, couldn't get much closer to him. Nice save by Henderson.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
England playing well. Better than I and expected. Foden, Clarke-Salter and Maddison playing well. Solanke looks a bit rusty. Some nice passes over the top by Clarke-Salter that Solanke should do better with. Foden and Maddison could be starters in the seniors in a year or two. Maddison should be there now. Penalty was a bit harsh, couldn't get much closer to him. Nice save by Henderson.
I thought Maddison looked a nice player in what little I could find when his move to Leicester was announced (as Liverpool were linked) but I didn't expect him to be as good as he has been. I like him a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad