OT: You're the new owner of the Oilers...

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
You fire Chiarelli, who are your top candidates for the GM position?

- Paul Fenton (NSH)
- Julien BriesBois (TB)
- Kyle Dubas (TOR)
- Dean Lombardi (FA)
- Bill Guerin (PIT)
- Any others

I'm putting this out cause I don't feel Chiarelli is the guy to lead this team, as I'm sure most, if not all of you, feel the same way. So if you had control and were able to hire someone, who would it be?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Whoever Calgary has lol! Ok really it is going to be better next year!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Fenton would be a good choice. I would also overpay to bring in the best European and NA scouts instead of handing out jobs to Ex Oilers and their siblings. The coaching staff would also be canned and Darryl Sutter would be brought in. You cant take a night off with him as coach. It really starts from the top down and we will continue to lose if we dont clean out this golf and country club

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I would bring in Fenton, seems like a great mind. Also as much as many hate the old boys club I woudl give some one like Coffey some considerations. He was never a big member of the old boys club. He really did his own thing and seems to want to be back in the Hockey business again. I just don't consider him in the Lowe Mact group ect. He is some one that would get you need to put together a fasted skilled team.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
You fire Chiarelli, who are your top candidates for the GM position?

- Paul Fenton (NSH)
- Julien BriesBois (TB)
- Kyle Dubas (TOR)
- Dean Lombardi (FA)
- Bill Guerin (PIT)
- Any others

I'm putting this out cause I don't feel Chiarelli is the guy to lead this team, as I'm sure most, if not all of you, feel the same way. So if you had control and were able to hire someone, who would it be?

Lombardi is in Philly...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In all honesty.
Fire every single staff member top to bottom.

Trade everything I can for high draft picks. Rebuild over the next 4-5 years and hope McDavid doesn't ask for a trade.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Fire or take all of the OBS and put them in ceremonial positions with no authority and out of the limelight. Only keep people based on merit, like Keith Gretzky and whoever proves themselves. Do a better job hiring GM and coach. Check that they have an impressible track record and experience. Fire them if they don't do anything after 2 or 3 years.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I would fire everyone and run the team myself using hockey magazines and good judgement. I would hire IATL and JumptheShark as assistants to drink Whiskey and laugh at the fans who pay to watch the garbage team I put on the ice.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
The time has come where the old boys shouldn't be around operations anymore. Give them some beer den in the basement of Rogers where they can hang out and reminisce.

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
Nobody is losing their jobs. I'm interested in seeing Keegan Lowe play, heard yesterday he's practicing. Maybe he's decent? Carolina took him in the 3rd round. So funny how many NHLers kids make it to the show so easily out of an entire country of hockey players...

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wound fire everybody in the front office that has even the slightest thing to do with the on ice product, every, single, person. I would then fire every person left who was in any way related to the oilers teams of the 80s, yes, even including Gretzky.

I would then hire a head hunting organization to hire my new VP of hockey ops, replacing that idiot Nicholson. This new employee would have free reign to hire whomever he wanted, unless they were, in any way, related to the 80s oilers team.

I would pay these new hockey executives and scouts twice the going rate, if not more.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Glad some people said Fenton. Would be my choice as well.

Guerin would be hilarious because it would be the old new boys club (or is that new old boys???). Don't want to take anything away from Billy G, his credentials are probably legit, but too soon and former Oiler factor are major concerns.

Paul Fenton has a fantastic eye for talent (Nashville drafts very well), and has been mentored by one of the best GM's in the last 30 years.

I truly hope this becomes a reality.

Cantor2537

Feb 24, 2016
Honestly I would do what others have said. A team like Vegas being on top in the west proves that you can’t just draft your way to being the best. I would get rid of McDavid in a heart beat if we could have a team like Vegas that had a bunch of scrappy players that play together with heart. When a few players tie up all the cap space you just have no money to spend on support players. This isn’t like basketball where one or two superstars can carry your team.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I would probably try to poach an assistant GM working for a successful organization, ala Dallas getting Jim Nill from the Red Wings a few years back.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Honestly I would do what others have said. A team like Vegas being on top in the west proves that you can’t just draft your way to being the best. I would get rid of McDavid in a heart beat if we could have a team like Vegas that had a bunch of scrappy players that play together with heart. When a few players tie up all the cap space you just have no money to spend on support players. This isn’t like basketball where one or two superstars can carry your team.

Very true, yet somehow Pittsburgh has been able to have lots of success with an NBA style team of 3-4 super stars. The Oilers always seem to be chasing their tail when it comes to trying to find the right model for success.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I would clean house 1st off all. So much so that I would have to hire someone on an interim basis to run the team while I did the GM search.
Fenton would probably be choice #1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad