Proposal: You're the new GM of the Florida Panthers, what do you do?

Which route do you go?

• Option 1? Burn it to the ground and go full re-build?

• Option 2? Keep building with current core?

• Option 3? Somewhere in between the two?

Results are only viewable after voting.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I’m convinced that it has much much more to do with lack of work ethic than it does lack of talent.

Watch any of the games right now and watch guys without the puck running as fast as they can to get open for a pass or hit someone.we don’t even care enough to complete a tape to tape pass.

until the panthers work like they want to win they always be a bad team.

we need to find the top 10 hardest working players in the game and bring a couple of these guys on board. We need a culture and leadership change. Hard work is contagious.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
It's rare that roster moves on the Panthers are made because someone lower in the depth chart is earning more ice-time, but because the higher ones earn less. This is part of why I don't want to immediately boot these guys, because I want the younger players to have to push them out rather than just sit around and wait for their turn when a spot opens.
I wouldn’t fill those spots internally. I’d just replacement them during the off-season via trade and/or ufa

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn’t fill those spots internally. I’d just replacement them during the off-season via trade and/or ufa
Right. My statement was mostly a broad thought about players moving down the depth chart more than they move up. Hardly unique for the Panthers, and possibly more of a symptom than a problem. The push from the youngsters is necessary to fight complacency though, and I think you need to promote that attitude among the prospects so they feel that it's in their hands.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
AS GM you need connection to make some Deals or Friendship Deals.
My personal first move would be re-sign Hoffmann and Boyle. Offer to Weegar, Saarela, Wallmark and Brown as 3rd Pairing or 7th Defensman.
GoodBye Dadonov, Haula, Toninato, Hunt. I dont see process in both of them. Pysyk great Player was a good shot blocker. But to much high and low for his next contract.
I think its more or possible clear, next Season will start most likely with Denisenko and Tippet, so room need to be open for them.

I would try to trade away Yandle. Great offensive Defensman QB on PP but our biggest weakness is also his biggest weakness. And his bigger contract cost us the chance to close this holes.
After the Discussion it looks like about the Offensive Numbers, Yandle Contract is easier to move then Matheson. So yes find someone to dance, and figure out the rythm.

Yandle for Hampus Lindholm (with some addition) Panthers get the non physical player away, both LHD, Anaheim das some scoreing and PP problem and yandle bringing in both. Also Anaheim has no Offensive Defensman current. The Cap would be 7Million Yandle for Hampus 5,2 Million. What would open also some more Room. Anaheim has this Year no one to re-sign.
Only Problem Yandle has a NMC.
But to be true there is no dance Partner current, where you trade a huge Contract.

And if someone has interest i woulf like to trade away Connolly he came from a Cup Team, but his Game dropped. Good start bad end. Fair contract but that is not what the Team or i would like to see from him. The Panthers saw his Energy Game and his motivation in the whole Cup Run and Season. But here i missing both.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
One thing to keep in mind that was said in relation to Tampa by one of the hockey analysts, almost in an off handed way. Not a direct quote but it went something like “Tampa now has a reputation that allows them to get experienced guys to sign up for a year or two-year deals, so they can more easily fill holes with guys like Maroon, who are really going to try hard because they believe they have a chance to win the cup.”

Carrying that to its logical other extreme, we don’t get that from the market, so when we get guys that are promising like Yandle, or even Bob, they come with long term and big price tag. The lesson? Get better first, with your draft picks largely, and some well chosen trades.

Needs patience. Which Tallon had, he just sucked at his own blueprint, so the plan never materialized.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
flyers fan coming in peace, this is how hextall rebuild my team, trade your players for picks to restock the farm system and when you have alot depth, you trade the picks or prospects to bring in elite players from other teams and lottery luck, depends on your cap situation if the teams are willing to take your players, if they take them now, you have a good chance of competing because you can flip the picks and players for elite talent.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
AS GM you need connection to make some Deals or Friendship Deals.
My personal first move would be re-sign Hoffmann and Boyle. Offer to Weegar, Saarela, Wallmark and Brown as 3rd Pairing or 7th Defensman.
GoodBye Dadonov, Haula, Toninato, Hunt. I dont see process in both of them. Pysyk great Player was a good shot blocker. But to much high and low for his next contract.
I think its more or possible clear, next Season will start most likely with Denisenko and Tippet, so room need to be open for them.

I would try to trade away Yandle. Great offensive Defensman QB on PP but our biggest weakness is also his biggest weakness. And his bigger contract cost us the chance to close this holes.
After the Discussion it looks like about the Offensive Numbers, Yandle Contract is easier to move then Matheson. So yes find someone to dance, and figure out the rythm.

Yandle for Hampus Lindholm (with some addition) Panthers get the non physical player away, both LHD, Anaheim das some scoreing and PP problem and yandle bringing in both. Also Anaheim has no Offensive Defensman current. The Cap would be 7Million Yandle for Hampus 5,2 Million. What would open also some more Room. Anaheim has this Year no one to re-sign.
Only Problem Yandle has a NMC.
But to be true there is no dance Partner current, where you trade a huge Contract.

And if someone has interest i woulf like to trade away Connolly he came from a Cup Team, but his Game dropped. Good start bad end. Fair contract but that is not what the Team or i would like to see from him. The Panthers saw his Energy Game and his motivation in the whole Cup Run and Season. But here i missing both.
Why would Anaheim, pretty much a semi-rebuilding team, trade their top D in his mid-20s for an aging vet that they don’t need with only 3yrs left under contact? Doesn’t make sense to me. Even if they did it would take a lot more than that, unfortunately

Reactions: BabyBarkov

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
flyers fan coming in peace, this is how hextall rebuild my team, trade your players for picks to restock the farm system and when you have alot depth, you trade the picks or prospects to bring in elite players from other teams and lottery luck, depends on your cap situation if the teams are willing to take your players, if they take them now, you have a good chance of competing because you can flip the picks and players for elite talent.

Can you list some of the bigger trades Hextall made to give us an idea?
I'd love to hire Hextall to be honest.
The only gripe I've heard about him is hoarding his prospects but it looks like it turned out well.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Can you list some of the bigger trades Hextall made to give us an idea?
I'd love to hire Hextall to be honest.
The only gripe I've heard about him is hoarding his prospects but it looks like it turned out well.

he traded schenn which he was a core piece.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Why would Anaheim, pretty much a semi-rebuilding team, trade their top D in his mid-20s for an aging vet that they don’t need with only 3yrs left under contact? Doesn’t make sense to me. Even if they did it would take a lot more than that, unfortunately

Sorry in my Eyes Anaheim is not in a whole Full rebuild. I think they made over the last years an ongoing medi rebuild. The only old once there are Getzlaf and Backes, Kesler from the Forwards Evans had his last Year of his contract. Miller last Year, Del Zotto Irvin last Year. And with Adam Henrique say have already a Leader Person in their Team and with 30 he has some more Years in him, the depth Chart and Prospect pool from Anaheim is deep.
But when Getzlaf gone, Backes Gone, Kesler gone you still need scoring or player who produce in all aspect. When you have more or less a rebuild or medi rebuild Year you can eat up Cap, what you usual do.
You can add some more picks or prospect in the trade, but it really can work out. The oldest Defensive Player from Anaheim is 28. They are far away from a rebuild process, maybe medicore for some Years. But i dont expect a full rebuild process with they Player they had left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad