179) Nicolas Mattinen
182) Nikolai Chebykin

:sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wanted Benson , oh well all's good though

I certainly would have taken Clague/Benson with our pick at #31 and gambled that previously passed over and undrafted Yegor Korshkov was there at #57.

In general players that have been passed over in previous drafts tend to be taken later when its the 1st time 17/18 year olds that are more valued selections then 19/20 year olds.

Taking 19/20 year olds is almost an attempt to display impatience in your drafting by trying to get players further along in their development quicker to the NHL.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I certainly would have taken Clague/Benson with our pick at #31 and gambled that previously passed over and undrafted Yegor Korshkov was there at #57.

In general players that have been passed over in previous drafts tend to be taken later when its the 1st time 17/18 year olds that are more valued selections then 19/20 year olds.

Taking 19/20 year olds is almost an attempt to display impatience in your drafting by trying to get players further along in their development quicker to the NHL.

Impatience or the Leafs scouts generally weren't all that happy with the selections beyond the first round.

Leafs picked these over avers because they had an extra season's worth of observable data to make an educated guess on. You're absolutely right that he traditional way of looking at the draft is to not much value on such guys - the Leafs have (hopefully) identified an aspect of the draft that could be exploited for their gain and other team's loss.

I think the Leafs got some interesting players from the 2nd round onward, but I wasn't overly impressed with the entire draft class beyond pick 18-20. It certainly couldn't touch the 2015 class in terms of depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
The Leafs had a great draft, but if I were to change something, the draft would've went like this:

Colton Point gets drafted instead of Bobylyov in the 5th (#122).

Travis Barron gets drafted by the Leafs instead of Chebykin in the 7th (#182).

Victor Mete doesn't get drafted by the Canadiens at #100, and Leafs snag him at #101, leaving Middleton out.

Basically a few minor tweaks. Nothing against the Russian picks, I like them, but Barron and Point were a few guys that I really, really liked going into the draft.

Point has good potential and is a huge goalie.

Barron has really great defensive abilities and is a gritty forward, something that the Leafs need. This pick would be purely based on future needs, although bottom six forwards are not hard to get by, I still think that Barron is going to be a Komarov-like player - and you guys know how much we love uncle-Leo. Has better potential in my eyes, than Chebykin.

:handclap:

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
update

cj19;ing120895505 said:
Pretend you are the Leafs head scout in charge of the 2016 draft selections. By referencing the 2016 draft results make the leafs draft choices with any player who was available at their pick. i.e.. Leafs chose Matthews first overall -you might prefer Laine with the #1 choice. It might be fun to circle back next year to see who has drafted the best team. My picks below:

1) Austin Matthews C
31)Samuel Girard D
57)Adam Fox D
62) Cam Dineen D
72)Luke Green D
92)Adam Brooks C
101)Dylan Wells G
122)Timothy Gettinger LW
152)Travis Baron
179)Dmitry Sokolov
182)Ty Ronning[ I thought we could look back to see how our picks are doing

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
I would have been tempted to gamble on Sean Day. High risk high reward i guess

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Honestly I'm happy with most picks besides outside of Middleton and I can understand them and its really exciting to see if the Leafs just exploited a major flaw in drafting philosophy and if they hit jackpot. That said, I pretty much thought this when they grabbed Kroshkov

:laugh::laugh::laugh: and you spelled the name right

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Quick speculation: if the Leafs had held the 28th and 29th picks instead of the 30th and 31st picks and not made the Andersen trade, would we have drafted Trent Frederic and Lucas Johansen? And would that have been preferable to Andersen and Korshkov?

It's hard to evaluate Korshkov since he's been hurt.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Dayum. you guys really follow junior hockey or what? Do you have girlfriends that put up with this obsession?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Quick speculation: if the Leafs had held the 28th and 29th picks instead of the 30th and 31st picks and not made the Andersen trade, would we have drafted Trent Frederic and Lucas Johansen? And would that have been preferable to Andersen and Korshkov?

It's hard to evaluate Korshkov since he's been hurt.

andersen alone without korshkov i do it still. Andersen has been outstanding far more than not this season. Korshkov was scoring like current NHL stars were when they were in the KHL

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
andersen alone without korshkov i do it still. Andersen has been outstanding far more than not this season. Korshkov was scoring like current NHL stars were when they were in the KHL

I noticed he plays with Kontiola. I wonder if he made a recommendation to the Leafs...

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
Dayum. you guys really follow junior hockey or what? Do you have girlfriends that put up with this obsession?

Me personally.. I was a season ticket holder for the Moncton Wildcats up till two years ago and that allowed me to watch the rising stars in the QMJHL. We now live outside of town and it makes it harder to get to the games so I don't follow like I use to do. Now with that being said I will admit I have seen JD Greenway on television a few times and I am looking forwrd to seeing what he can develop into!

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Pretend you are the Leafs head scout in charge of the 2016 draft selections. By referencing the 2016 draft results make the leafs draft choices with any player who was available at their pick. i.e.. Leafs chose Matthews first overall -you might prefer Laine with the #1 choice. It might be fun to circle back next year to see who has drafted the best team. My picks below:

1) Austin Matthews C
31)Samuel Girard D
57)Adam Fox D
62) Cam Dineen D
72)Luke Green D
92)Adam Brooks C
101)Dylan Wells G
122)Timothy Gettinger LW
152)Travis Baron
179)Dmitry Sokolov
182)Ty Ronning
Looking back at the 2016 draft did we do any better than Mark Hunter?

member 300185

I trust Hunter as well.....and a friend who watched Yegor Korshkov and told me about him before we drafted him....We should be excited about him.
Just made an entire thread about this guy. He is busting and just got demoted by Lokomotiv to the 3rd line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1. Auston Matthews
31.Carter Hart
57.Taylor Raddysh
62. Cliff Pu
72. J.D Greenway
92. Adam Brooks
101.Noah Gregor
122.Max Lajoie
152.Jack Walker
179.Mark Shoemaker
182.Calvin Thurkauf

That would have been a nice looking haul.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
its easy to pick and choose better players after Sam Steel looks like a stud C wish we could have gotten him.
1) Auston Matthews
31) Sam Steel (move up and grab him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad