You're Pat Quinn: Who do you start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I can't believe someone even thinks this is a question. As good as Luongo was, if Brodeur is healthy he is playing, no doubt about it.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I'd bet my prized goats that if Brodeur is ready to go and you polled every NHL coach, the vote would be unaminous.

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
At this time Martin Brodeur is the best goaltender in the world for a big game.

So, if healthy, of course Brodeur. No brainer.

This is not a criticism of Luongo who did not play as badly as the defense in front of him.

But if the best is available, you go with the best.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Cloned said:
If I'm Pat Quinn: (assuming Brodeur is close to 100%)

I definitely start Brodeur.

If Canada wins, the decision was no-brainer.

If Canada loses, I don't get solely blamed for the loss (barring a bad line change or bench penalty) because I started the consensus #1 goaltender on the team.

If I started Luongo and Canada won, good for me.

If I started Luongo and Canada lost, I look like a fool for not playing the consensus #1 goaltender on the team.

If I'm Pat Quinn I wouldn't take the risk of starting Luongo.

So you wouldn't start a goalie to win the game, your reasoning is you would start one because if you lose people don't blame you as much. You're ****ing pathetic, a totally gutless coach. I just hope you ain't coaching hockey at all.

In my mind, you put the goalie that'll get you the win, If brodeur is good enough to play and get you the W, put him in, if not, then Luongo will go get it for you.

Orange

Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
(...) the third was through a screen thanks to a horrible defensive mistake.

Defense didn't look so sharp last night. Some guys tried to do too much ... Why is that ? Because Brodeur wasn't in the net. This team plays with total confidence with Brodeur, I can't say the same of Louongo from what I saw last night. They just let Brodeur do his thing. Anybody else and they will try and do to much, to protect the goalie. Inevitably, that leads to mistakes.

Brodeur stabilizes our defense in a way Louongo or Theodore can't. Brodeur should be in net, no questions asked.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Martin Brodeur is the best goalie in the world. With Brodeur the game probably doesn't go to OT. Is Martin Brodeur is good to go, he will play.

If not, well then you tell the best goalie in the world he isn't starting for Canada. If Luongo starts and Canada loses, Pat Quinn will never live it down (not to mention all the Leaf fans finding another reason to get rid of him :D)

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Brodeur let in 3 goals on 103 shots. Luongo let in 3 goals on 37 shots. Brodeur won let in 3 goals in 4 games, Luongo let in 3 goals in 1 game. .75 GAA vs 3.00 GAA.

Luongo made a lot of spectacular saves that were only shots because of his own mistakes with rebounds.

habster

Mar 11, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
The big difference between Brodeur and the two other goalies (Luongo and Theodore) is that Marty can play the puck and act like a 3D whereas the two other can't. It make the defense job much easier. But in terms of make "Key" saves I think that all three goalies are capable of that.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Van - Those 2 goals Luongo let in were very weak. The first one you couldn't even tell if it hit someone's skate or not. He should've stopped both of them.

You guys are really playing with fire wanting to put Luongo in over Brodeur.

Nyclaus

Apr 8, 2003
Good Vibes!
k, let's see...uno: Canada is gonna face probably the most disciplined team in the tournament, dos: Canada is gonna face the hottest goalie this year, and still smoking I might add, tres: who's our no1 goalie?

Brodeur without a doubt!

next thread please
:teach:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Van wants to play Luongo in a game that would play into Brodeurs hands. A low shot game where the goaltender needs to be alert....good work van. Thats why you are a ref and not a coach.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
DownFromNJ said:
Brodeur let in 3 goals on 103 shots. Luongo let in 3 goals on 37 shots. Brodeur won let in 3 goals in 4 games, Luongo let in 3 goals in 1 game. .75 GAA vs 3.00 GAA.

Luongo made a lot of spectacular saves that were only shots because of his own mistakes with rebounds.

EXACTLY

BCCHL inactive

Vinnie said:
Yes I do.

:lol:

I'll leave you to think about that.

Unbiased Canadian said:
Sure Luongo made some big saves, but the 3rd goal was week and his rebound control on the second goal was also terrible.

He couldn't see the third goal, and he had no choice but to give up the rebound on the second goal. He was going the other way and stuck his leg out. His options were to let the original shot go in, or kick the puck out, and that's not due to bad positioning, that was due to a nice powerplay by the Czechs. Whoever buried the rebound was a defenceman's responsibility.

JasonMacIsaac said:
Van wants to play Luongo in a game that would play into Brodeurs hands. A low shot game where the goaltender needs to be alert....good work van. Thats why you are a ref and not a coach.

Actually I am a coach.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Brodeur is one of the top 5 goalies of all time AND one of the top 10 defensive defencemen.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
play Luongo. Or Theodore.. that'd be doing us (Finland) a big favour.

Brodeur is by far your best goalie, so yeah, feel free to play Luongo, that suits us =)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
For crying out loud, if you wanna make it exciting why don't you put Theodore in the game and call it a team effort. Everyone got to play.

It's Brodeur. Right now he's the best in the world. Luongo isn't even the second best. The Kipper is.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
Average? He made at least 3-4 game-saving stops late in the 3rd period and overtime.

The Czechs didn't have a lead during the game, but realistically they should have. Luongo is hot, despite only having played one game.

If it ain't broke...

He also let in a few weak ones. I don't think it's a question at all. you HAVE to go with Brodeur

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
Last I checked, Roberto Luongo was in goal saving Canada against the Czech Republic. If not for his magic, Canada is out of the World Cup.

That is some twisted logic. I'm surprised at van, I usually can see where you're coming from in your posts, but starting Luongo would be a mistake. even if Luongo had a superb outing (the general feeling is that he had an average game), you still put in brodeur.

You sound like you think that if Brodeur had been in net, we wouldn't be playing fo rthe championship?

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
jacklours said:
So you wouldn't start a goalie to win the game, your reasoning is you would start one because if you lose people don't blame you as much. You're ****ing pathetic, a totally gutless coach. I just hope you ain't coaching hockey at all.

In my mind, you put the goalie that'll get you the win, If brodeur is good enough to play and get you the W, put him in, if not, then Luongo will go get it for you.

He's not pathetic at all. These all very real things Quinn has to think about. It's easy for your average armchair fan to say what you're saying. The pressure these guys are under is unimaginable.

Irregardless, I can't see any argument for starting Loungo over Brodeur (if Brodeur is indeed healthy) BNrodeur has played more in the last few weeks, Luongo did not have a strong outing, Brodeur has been amazing in the tournament. The ONLY reason to start Luongo is if you believe Brodeur at 75% (or 80% or 90% or whatever) is not better then Luongo right now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
jacklours said:

Thanks for calling me pathetic, eh? :shakehead

To clarify, yes, I would start the goalie which gives me a better chance to win. Brodeur is that goalie.

He just so happens to also be the consensus #1 goalie on the team and the goalie that the majority of people believe should get the start, if he's healthy.

Do you think that Quinn doesn't have to think about how fans will react to his decision on who to start? Gutless? Gutless would be not accepting the job of coaching Team Canada in the first place. This isn't simply one game we're talking about. This is his whole coaching legacy. Do you want to be known as the coach who decided to start the #2 goaltender, even though the #1 was healthy but the #2 was "hot," in a game that Canada loses? Do you want to handle all the "what-if's" and questions that the media will ask you on your decision? Do you want to be known as the coach that lost the World Cup on home ice ?

Now obviously if Luongo managed to win the game then you would look great. But that is a very high-risk move, and the consequences of a loss could be devastating to you.

I was trying to give a different perspective on how Quinn would decide. Obviously the simple answer would have been "start Brodeur because he's more proven and gives you a better shot." But I think public perception is also an important factor.

Munchausen

I'd put Brodeur in a nanosecond between the pipes, there's no question about it. Just for the fact Martin can control the play behind his net, act as a 3rd Dman and a leader. Canada's D played the worst game of the WC with Luongo in net, and I have a feeling this is due in (big) part to the fact Luongo does not help his Dmen with his puck control and has a very average rebound control, complete opposite of Brodeur who always directs it to a teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad