You're hired! As the new GM what are the first moves you make?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I would want to build a disciplined, hard-skating puck-possession team. Untouchables would be basically Alzner, Carlson, Backstrom.

Would sell off overpaid grinders. Would listen to offers for stars like Ovechkin & Green.

Would only hire coaches who are on the same page with the overall vision.

Drafting -- the Caps have done pretty well lately -- I would focus on guys who have some skill & speed.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So you're suggesting throwing in the towel and selling off at the deadline. Noted...

At this point? Absolutely.

Statistically, there's very little chance to make the playoffs. For me, if you're not in the playoffs, the worst place to be is stuck in the Toronto zone getting middling draft picks. If you're gonna suck, suck hard and get the best talent you can.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I'd buy a new chair. Seems the thing to do. Then fire Oates. Meet with Ted and make sure we are on the same page with money to spend. Put a banana in the muffler of Ted's car.

Then I'd give the players a secret ballot of sorts with one question.........

1. How many times did Oates say "you know what"? (just to get a feel if they were paying attention or not.)

Hire John Tortarella and tell him to whip these pansies into shape.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
1. Dump Beagle, Chimera, and Ward

2. Lock up future 3C Hendricks to a multi-year extension

3. Change the Caps goal song

4. Put Wolski on the 3rd line

5. Draft Manti Te'o

6. ???

7. Profit

professorchaos

Nov 22, 2011
Langley
Canuck fan here. I have always like the Caps and would like to see them do well. Here is my take:

Overall, your forward group is pretty solid. Good size, grit and skill but what the forwards lack is a real crash and bang line. Hendricks is a solid team guy (not to mention a shoot-out god) but he can't be the guy to police the muppets getting into Ovie's face. You need a legit tough guy not named Erskine who can be the physical presence and still play meaningful minutes (Prust, Tootoo, Smith, Dorsett, Jackman). IMO Ovie and Backstrom need backup and not in the skill department. Kicking some *** is never a bad way to build team chemistry.

Forwards I like:
Ovi
Backstrom
Laich (his injury = big loss)
Ribby
Ward
Brouwer (needs to play tougher)
Wolski (needs to be sheltered but speed is an asset)
Hendricks

Everyone else IMO is expendable (including a few in the above list, depending on return).

The defence has good mobility and offensive awareness, just not the same level of grit as the forwards do. Erskine is ok when healthy and not suspended, but the young guys; Carlson, Alzner, Kundratek, and Orlov are not mean enough in front of their own goal. Crosby needs to pay the price to drive the net, right now it's just too easy. I think moving one or even two of the four for some more responsible defenders with nasty attitudes would help (Gorges, McQuaid, W. Mitchell, Coburn, B. Stuart). Schultz should be shipped for a pick or a prospect if one can be had.

Goaltending has been pretty average, but one can hardly blame them. They are young guys under loads of pressure, Holtby in particular. He needs a veteran presence to either back him up or vice versa. GMGM clearly handed him the reigns too quickly.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
- give Oates a carte blanc;
- Re-sign Ribeiro immediately;
- find some 240+ lbs defenseman who will clear the crease;
- bring a player that would beat grinders;
- find a hated agitator;
- sing some Russian. Artyukhin haha.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Canuck fan here. I have always like the Caps and would like to see them do well. Here is my take:

Overall, your forward group is pretty solid. Good size, grit and skill but what the forwards lack is a real crash and bang line. Hendricks is a solid team guy (not to mention a shoot-out god) but he can't be the guy to police the muppets getting into Ovie's face. You need a legit tough guy not named Erskine who can be the physical presence and still play meaningful minutes (Prust, Tootoo, Smith, Dorsett, Jackman). IMO Ovie and Backstrom need backup and not in the skill department. Kicking some *** is never a bad way to build team chemistry.

Forwards I like:
Ovi
Backstrom
Laich (his injury = big loss)
Ribby
Ward
Brouwer (needs to play tougher)
Wolski (needs to be sheltered but speed is an asset)
Hendricks

Everyone else IMO is expendable (including a few in the above list, depending on return).

The defence has good mobility and offensive awareness, just not the same level of grit as the forwards do. Erskine is ok when healthy and not suspended, but the young guys; Carlson, Alzner, Kundratek, and Orlov are not mean enough in front of their own goal. Crosby needs to pay the price to drive the net, right now it's just too easy. I think moving one or even two of the four for some more responsible defenders with nasty attitudes would help (Gorges, McQuaid, W. Mitchell, Coburn, B. Stuart). Schultz should be shipped for a pick or a prospect if one can be had.

Goaltending has been pretty average, but one can hardly blame them. They are young guys under loads of pressure, Holtby in particular. He needs a veteran presence to either back him up or vice versa. GMGM clearly handed him the reigns too quickly.

Pretty much spot on, imo. :handclap:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Where to start, building a line tough to play against, is a priority, and should be easier to attain over other needs.

Team toughness does build team unity, confidence, and thus chemistry.

Our checking and energy lines are probably the laugh of the league.

Individually they are competent, but they scare no one.

Its easy to retool the bottom 6 vs the top 6 D and G, and its a fine place to start.

Teams currently only have to fear Ovi on the forecheck. Not a single other forward of ours will attempt to hit anyone hard enough to cough up the puck proper.

I bet a retiree line of GM DHunter THunter could do more for our team than our current 4 does.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Panther fan. My take is that, given the lockout, it is predictable that a team is not going to play well trying to implement a new system with a new coach without benefit of practice time. Need to wait and see how it pans out over the remainder of the season.

I do have my doubts that the system fits the existing players, but time will tell.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
1. Do whatever it takes to get Corey Perry in the offseason
2. Listen to offers on Ovechkin, and tell Kuz he'd be the face of DC
3. Neuvy + Johannson + 2nd for Luongo
4. Draft best available defense with our first pick.
5. Consider moving one of Green or Carlson in a lateral move as a change of scenery
6. Write Alex Semin and tell him I'm sorry people were mean to him.

Kuz- Nikky- Perry
Semin- Ribiero- Laich
Wolski- Beagle- Brouwer
Chimera- hendricks- Ward

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pffft. Semin can stay in Carolina. On pace for 10 goals this season, which is about the same overall pace he was on last season (21 goals in 77 games). He'll finish 10-15 max, probably 10-12.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The following are unavailable:
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Laich
Brouwer
Green
Alzner
Carlson
Holtby
Prospects and draft picks

Everyone else is available or moveable
Ribeiro - doubt at this rate he resigns, probably will bring back the largest return. Package him with a Chimera and that would be a 1st rounder coming back and +

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Pffft. Semin can stay in Carolina. On pace for 10 goals this season, which is about the same overall pace he was on last season (21 goals in 77 games). He'll finish 10-15 max, probably 10-12.

So basically OV with more skill, better defense, and smaller price tag.

I will take it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So basically OV with more skill, better defense, and smaller price tag.

I will take it.

Semin is a better puckhandler than Ovechkin, and his contract is smaller, but I would not say his defense is better. He takes too many stupid penalties (especially with the stick from behind) and does not hit or block shots in any meaningful quantity. He also has an issue with missing games.

Semin is a finesse player and a sniper (with a terrible shooting % of late) and that's pretty much it. Ovie can be a leader, a power forward, a sniper, a playmaker and even a fighter if necessary (no bongos required).

Sorry, but Ovechkin >>>> Semin, even if the money is off.

Last edited:

piotrt82

Jan 7, 2013
I´d try to trade away:

cathegory 1 (valuewise):

Ward (salary joke...)
Brouwer (not bad, but maybe enough value to get us some young assets)
Fehr
Perreault (not an NHL´er)
Johansson
Neuvirth (for a goaltender who may help us right now!)

cathegory 2 (simply useless in my opinion!):

Hamrlik (old/slow)
Poti (horrible)
Schultz (Schultz :laugh:)

I would even consider trading Carlsson or Brooksy for some center pieces...

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Semin is a better puckhandler than Ovechkin, and his contract is smaller, but I would not say his defense is better. He takes too many stupid penalties (especially with the stick from behind) and does not hit or block shots in any meaningful quantity. He also has an issue with missing games.

Semin is a finesse player and a sniper (with a terrible shooting % of late) and that's pretty much it. Ovie can be a leader, a power forward, a sniper, a playmaker and even a fighter if necessary (no bongos required).

Sorry, but Ovechkin >>>> Semin, even if the money is off.

Semin was one of our best PK guys. You could count on him for a couple shorties (something we miss).

He leads Carolina in takeaways and has more than anyone on our team this season. Led our team last season, and 2nd in 10-11.

edit- To the guy above. Have you watch Ward this year? If we don't need the cap space, then we don't trade him unless the return is good. Brouwer is a good player, and plays hard every shift. He had a hell of a snipe last night and one of the few who actually hits.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Semin was one of our best PK guys. You could count on him for a couple shorties (something we miss).

He leads Carolina in takeaways and has more than anyone on our team this season. Led our team last season, and 2nd in 10-11.

He's also a penalty liability and doesn't score nearly enough for his salary ($7 mil this year). He consistently has more PIM than points due to bad penalties, often in the offensive zone or during a PP. Only a fraction (about 1/10th) of the top 50 skaters have more PIM than points, and they are all bangers who add hits and toughness, which Semin doesn't have.

His takeaways come at the cost of his penalties, because his favorite move on defense is to get behind someone and try to steal the puck, usually with moves that have been illegal for years, which results in a stick foul.

He has 3 shorties in his 479 game career and none since 2010-11, so I don't know where you're getting that he was always good for them.

His shooting percentage is less than 1/2 what it was last year, and has been declining since 08-09. He has not cracked double digit PPG since 07-08. He has 5 GWG in the last 152 games over the last 3 seasons, which is how many he had in the 09-10 season alone, and his max was 8.

Semin is on a serious decline and is one of the most overpaid players in the NHL. And it's too bad because he's clearly talented, but he's stuck in his ways.

Last edited:

MiKE5889

May 7, 2012
I would wait til the deadline before making any moves. Considering how intense the game schedule for this season is, there will most certainly be some playoff teams out there who will be in desperate need to add some depth to their blue lines.

Then proceed by trading Schultz for a 5:th/6:th/7:th round pick in 2013. I also trade Hamrlik for a 3:rd/4:th round pick in 2013 as well as a prospect. If he is still worth so much that is!

I listen to offers for Ribeiro, but rather resign him in the off season, even if it means adding a million to his contract. Would probably go for a 2-3 year extension.

Calls it a day and lets the season conclude. Then begins to resign players in the off-season.

Resigns:

Ribeiro (6,000,000 3yrs)
Alzner (3,000,000 6yrs)
Holtby (1,500,000 1yrs)
Neuvirth (1,500,000 1yrs)
Hendricks (1,200,000 2yrs)
Poti (1,000,000 1 yrs)
Erskine (1,000,000 1yrs)
Kundratek (1,000,000 2 yrs)
Johansson (2,000,000 2 yrs)

Hillen walks as a free agent.

I draft Barkov if we end up in the bottom 5 and he is still available. I then trade Johansson and our 2:nd round pick in 2013 to the Flames for Mark Giordano, providing Green with a solid defensive partner. Then finishes my trading frenzy off by sending Perreault to the Devils for a late 2:nd round pick in 2013.

This leaves us at best with 1 1:st round pick, 1 2:nd round pick, 2 3:rd round picks, 1 4:th round pick, 3 5:th round picks, 1 6:th round pick and possibly also 1 7:th round pick.

Lineup 2014:

Ovechkin / Bäckström / Brouwer
Barkov / Ribeiro / Ward
Chimera / Laich / Wolski
Hendricks / Beagle / Fehr
//Crabb

Giordano / Green
Alzner / Carlson
Poti / Kundratek
//Erskine

Rumors has it that Filip Forsberg might be heading to Frölunda in SEL next year. Apparently Roger Rönnberg, the same coach who coached Sweden to gold and silver in the last two world junior tournaments wants Forsberg in Frölunda. Rönnberg will coach Frölunda in 2014! Expect him to arrive in 2015, not 2014! Hopefully he will join forces with Kuznetsov and they both come over in 2015.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
He's also a penalty liability and doesn't score nearly enough for his salary ($7 mil this year). He consistently has more PIM than points due to bad penalties, often in the offensive zone or during a PP. Only a fraction (about 1/10th) of the top 50 skaters have more PIM than points, and they are all bangers who add hits and toughness, which Semin doesn't have.

His takeaways come at the cost of his penalties, because his favorite move on defense is to get behind someone and try to steal the puck, usually with moves that have been illegal for years, which results in a stick foul.

He has 3 shorties in his 479 game career and none since 2010-11, so I don't know where you're getting that he was always good for them.

His shooting percentage is less than 1/2 what it was last year, and has been declining since 08-09. He has not cracked double digit PPG since 07-08. He has 5 GWG in the last 152 games over the last 3 seasons, which is how many he had in the 09-10 season alone, and his max was 8.

Semin is on a serious decline and is one of the most overpaid players in the NHL. And it's too bad because he's clearly talented, but he's stuck in his ways.
We aren't in salary cap trouble, and it's only a year deal.

He had less pims than Malkin last year. That is despite a bunch of bs penalties he gets based on reputation.

Hard to get a shorty when hunter wouldn't use him on the pk.

Ovechkin is the most overpaid player in the NHL. Not Semin. Which is the comparison point. And it is a one year deal. Low risk.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We aren't in salary cap trouble, and it's only a year deal.

He had less pims than Malkin last year. That is despite a bunch of bs penalties he gets based on reputation.

Hard to get a shorty when hunter wouldn't use him on the pk.

Ovechkin is the most overpaid player in the NHL. Not Semin. Which is the comparison point. And it is a one year deal. Low risk.

Malkin plays a different style altogether. Already discussed that. Also already discussed the differences between Ovechkin and Semin. And 3 shorties in his entire career has nothing to do with Hunter's partial season. The stats don't support your impression.

You're clearly a Semin fan so nothing I say is going to move you off of your position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->