You're gonna need to know the words....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
uhmm....cuz Tuesday they'll be playing it after we win the World Cup....doh! And I thought it would be all nice and warm and fuzzy if EVERYBODY sings....I'm just trying to spread good cheer....ya know? so all the other little countries out there who WISH they knew how to play hockey wouldn't feel so bad.....ya dig? I'm just being friendly, that's all. :banana:

Vic Rattlehead*

Wow, we already beat the Czechs? Man, I missed that game... :shakehead

Brad*

MePutPuckInNet said:
uhmm....cuz Tuesday they'll be playing it after we win the World Cup....doh! And I thought it would be all nice and warm and fuzzy if EVERYBODY sings....I'm just trying to spread good cheer....ya know? so all the other little countries out there who WISH they knew how to play hockey wouldn't feel so bad.....ya dig? I'm just being friendly, that's all. :banana:
And here I thought you were trying to be an arrogant wind bag! Silly me!

But thanks for reminding me about Canada, I had forgot for a brief moment that they dont' actually have to play their hockey games, they get a bye all the way through the Gold Medal Round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Brad said:
?

"Where is my home, where is my home?
Water bubbles across the meadows,
Pinewoods rustle among crags,
The garden is glorious with spring blossom,
Paradise on earth it is to see.
And this is that beautiful land,
The Czech land, my home,
The Czech land, my home."

Wow, it sounds like a air freshener commercial.

:joker:

Actually, it reminds me of Mr. Sparkle.

edit: That was not meant to offend our Czech friends :)

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Brad said:
?

"Where is my home, where is my home?
Water bubbles across the meadows,
Pinewoods rustle among crags,
The garden is glorious with spring blossom,
Paradise on earth it is to see.
And this is that beautiful land,
The Czech land, my home,
The Czech land, my home."

It probably loses some of the poetry in translation.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Brad said:

The second verse seems a bit... Naziesque...

Da Czechs said:
Where is my home, where is my home?
If, in a heavenly land, you have met
Tender souls in agile frames,
Of clear mind, vigorous and prospering,
And with a strength that frustrates all defiance,
That is the glorious race of Czechs,
Among Czechs (is) my home,
Among Czech, my home.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Well, national anthems were like this some hundred years ago. Just look at France, "La Marseillaise" isn't the most peaceful anthem there is, but it fits in the time it was written.

Or take a look at the famous "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" line. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Nazis or world supremacy. Heck, Germany wasn't even a country when it was written.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Have you ever bothered to check all the verses of Star spangled banner. That also fits USA these days, it's all about killing the enemy etc. The part that you always hear are the nice verses...

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Sanderson said:
Well, national anthems were like this some hundred years ago. Just look at France, "La Marseillaise" isn't the most peaceful anthem there is, but it fits in the time it was written.

Or take a look at the famous "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" line. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Nazis or world supremacy. Heck, Germany wasn't even a country when it was written.

"Deutschland Deutshcland über alles" is not our anthem anymore. I bet you know that.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Deutschland = Germany

My dad has a map of Germany from when he lived there and it says Deutschland

and a link to prove Germany was/is called that

Deutschland

just thought I'd clear that up :)

And why are some Canadians acting so cocky about already being in the finals? We haven't played the Czechs yet, and they won't be a cakewalk. They won't be playing like they did in the exhibition game.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Germany wasn't a country when the song was written. There were many small kingdoms and states which were losely tied together in the "Deutscher Bund", but it wasn't the second Reich until 1871 when Germany beat France. Von Fallersleben wanted a united Germany, that's why he wrote the song.
The first Reich was abolished by Napoleon in 1806.

I know that "Deutschland Deutschland über alles..." is not in our anthem anymore. It was an example to show that people thought differently when anthems like this were written.
Actually the first two verses were in our anthem until 1991, but they weren't used in public occations. The whole "Lied der Deutschen" was reinstated as anthem by Adenauer und Heuss until Kohl and von Weizsäcker decided to only have the third verse as anthem for a united Germany.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I love that anthems website, lol... some of the lyrics can be funny.

Check out the Quebec provincial anthem:

http://www.thenationalanthems.com/_private/NotSovereignNations/quebec.htm

They don't have a translation there so I'll translate it:

The time that we take to say "I love you"
Is the only one that remains at the end of our days.
The wishes that we make, the flowers that we sow
Everyone collects them within themselves
In the beautiful garden of passing time

CHORUS
People of the contry, it is your turn
To let yourselves talk about love
People of the contry, it is your turn
To let yourselves talk about love

The time to love each other, the day to say it
Melts like snow at the fingertips of spring
Let's celebrate our joys, let's celebrate our laughs
Those eyes where our glances are reflected
It's tomorrow that I was twenty years old

CHORUS

The river of days stops today
And forms a lake where everyone can see
Like in a mirror, the love that it reflects
For those hearts to whom I wish
The time to live their hopes

CHORUS

Lol, needless to say I'm a bit confused over that... Isn't an anthem supposed to be some patriotic thing about dying for your country or how pretty it is and whatnot? That one sounds like some kind of love poem or something. But then again I'm not a Quebecker so I don't know if there's any real cultural meaning to it :blush:

Last edited:

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Masao said:
I love that anthems website, lol... some of the lyrics can be funny.

Check out the Quebec provincial anthem:

Lol, needless to say I'm a bit confused over that... Isn't an anthem supposed to be some patriotic thing about dying for your country or how pretty it is and whatnot? That one sounds like some kind of love poem or something. But then again I'm not a Quebecker so I don't know if there's any real cultural meaning to it :blush:

We, as a nation, dont believe in dying for our country. Well, i think the majority of Quebecker don't believe in this concept. Oh, and also it was written in the peace and love time. So it explain the lyrics ! :)

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Erngueva said:
We, as a nation, dont believe in dying for our country. Well, i think the majority of Quebecker don't believe in this concept. Oh, and also it was written in the peace and love time. So it explain the lyrics ! :)

I kind of like songs more about being alive, maybe a mention of beer or something.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
psycho_dad said:
Have you ever bothered to check all the verses of Star spangled banner. That also fits USA these days, it's all about killing the enemy etc. The part that you always hear are the nice verses...

Take it down a notch; I was just kidding. It is the "glorious race" line that my poked fun rested on, not anything about killing the enemy.

Anyhow, the Star-Spangled Banner focuses more on withstanding the enemy than killing him. At least that's how it seems to me. A small distinction but one nonetheless.

Frankly though I don't think the Banner is all that great, so I doubt I'm hearing just the nice verses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->