Value of: Your Young(ish) Winger or Dman to EDM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Patch+Petry

Bouchard, Poolparty, 2019 1st, Lucic, sekera

Doesn’t fit the 27 or younger winger but certainly takes care of cap problems to resign Patch to play with McDavid. Montreal would be so bad this year without petry or Weber.

Not interested. Petry and Edmonton want nothing to do with each other and while dumping 11.5 mil in cap is appealing there is no chance we move that much in young assets.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I can see the Isles making someone available depending on how the D performs early on.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But do you believe Coyle will be the same player as last year when he broke his leg and had injuries in both his wrists/hands?

Probably a bit better but I think 56 points represents his ceiling. He’s also UFA in two seasons and I’m not sure 1) we’ll be able to afford his 2nd contract and 2) I’m comfortable giving up Puljujarvi for him.

I will give you that it’s better than 99% of what’s posted in this thread and we do get the better player today. I’d think about it at least.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is it?

Bratt was a top 6 player at 19 and under team control for six years.

Bratt seriously cooled down as the season went on - he had 4 points in 26 games from Feb 1 on - and Nuge is a much better player that can also play C if we need him to. Not a basis for a deal.

You already fleeced us once, don’t get greedy by going back to the same well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
May I suggest Sonny Milano. It's really intriguing to think how many goals he could score if he was next to one of the top two centers. He's never played with anyone of even half that talent.

Right now not a lot of teams feel the need to unload anyone, so the prices will be better after training camp and a few weeks of play, when issues arise. Milano would probably cost a pair of 2nd rounders if you needed him now, but if he has issues with Torts and ice time it will come down.

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
No body is trading a young top 6 Forward or top 4 D to the Oilers for scraps, let alone having to take back a terrible contract so the Oilers can fit someone under the cap.
I don't understand why the assumption is that Sekera will never play again? He's 32, has 3 more years on this contract and is owed $14.5M in real dollars. He's not hanging them up. He'll be back in a few months.

But hey, while we're at it, the Flames could use an Elite #1 Goalie, so here's my proposal:
1st Trade:

Mtl:
Price 50% retained

CGY
Neal
Giordano

2nd Trade:

Mtl
Neal 50% retained
Giordano 50% retained

CGY
Troy Brouwers buyout
7th round draft pick

Reactions: DoobieDubas

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
No body is trading a young top 6 Forward or top 4 D to the Oilers for scraps, let alone having to take back a terrible contract so the Oilers can fit someone under the cap.
I don't understand why the assumption is that Sekera will never play again? He's 32, has 3 more years on this contract and is owed $14.5M in real dollars. He's not hanging them up. He'll be back in a few months.

But hey, while we're at it, the Flames could use an Elite #1 Goalie, so here's my proposal:
1st Trade:

Mtl:
Price 50% retained

CGY
Neal
Giordano

2nd Trade:

Mtl
Neal 50% retained
Giordano 50% retained

CGY
Troy Brouwers buyout
7th round draft pick

Stop.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I know you guys are unfamiliar with the idea of a rebuild, but no one is going to give you young top-6/top-4 pieces for scraps. Try bottoming out and rebuilding with high picks maybe?

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Something around Baertshi + Tanev for _____? I know the Canucks are unlikely to trade either, but curious what Oilers might offer. I know they are both injury prone, but very good players if they can stay healthy.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers 2019 4th round pick for Schlemko?

I’m pretty sure there will be Schlemko level guys out there for free, but not a bad offer. I’m really curious to see what Chia does here. It’s his neck on the line. He made McLellan can his entire staff, if this year doesn’t go well he’s probably done as an NHL GM.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Something around Baertshi + Tanev for _____? I know the Canucks are unlikely to trade either, but curious what Oilers might offer. I know they are both injury prone, but very good players if they can stay healthy.
Should throw Leipsic and Pouliot in there as well to get the old Winterhawks band back together. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->