Value of: Your Young(ish) Winger or Dman to EDM

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
That 1st is on the wrong side.

I guess it’s a combination of me seriously underrating Faulk and overvaluing P. As a canes fan I guess I would want the first to be a second...then i would probably do it. Is the oilers fan consensus on P not as high as it was a year ago?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
You really think we wouldn't hang up the phone as soon as you said Connor Mc...
Wait...
2 chances at the loottery twice.. and 2 2nds...
That leaves Detroit 3 years to start a rebuild while giving Oil every opportunity to start drafting smart.
I probably wouldn't either but both our teams need what you have.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Wait...
That leaves Detroit 3 years to start a rebuild while giving Oil every opportunity to start drafting smart.
You dont trade away the best player in the world at 21 for draft picks. I dont give 2 f***s how high those picks are. Hell, you dont trade the best player in the world at 21 at all. Period.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wait...

You can’t seriously be trying to defend your blather.

Offer your next 10 first round picks and Edmonton still laughs and hangs up.

McDavid isn’t available for the entire franchise.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You'll still have to get rid of Sekera's contract if you want this acquired player to stay beyond this year. Right?

You can't expect to keep being 5M over and keep hiding it to be compliant year after year on day 1. 5M is a lot to move around.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
You'll still have to get rid of Sekera's contract if you want this acquired player to stay beyond this year. Right?

You can't expect to keep being 5M over and keep hiding it to be compliant year after year on day 1. 5M is a lot to move around.
Arizona just took Hossa's 5m for the next 3 years. Sekera is the same 5m for the same 3 years. It can be done.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd argue that the Oilers need a defenseman that can play special teams (especially the PP), more than that defenseman being young. Sekera was vital to your special teams and without him both your PP and PK dropped off. Maybe someone like Justin Faulk or Tyler Myers?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Arizona just took Hossa's 5m for the next 3 years. Sekera is the same 5m for the same 3 years. It can be done.
Hossa might not be the best comparable as Sekera is owed $14.5 million in actually dollars, while Hossa is just owed just $3 million in actual dollars. Another sticking point is Sekera's NMC, as he's likely not willing to just accept his career is finished before this season is concluded.

However, if Sekera's contract is insured and he is willing to waive his NMC, I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes took it as a cap dump in a Faulk deal tbh.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd argue that the Oilers need a defenseman that can play special teams (especially the PP), more than that defenseman being young. Sekera was vital to your special teams and without him both your PP and PK dropped off. Maybe someone like Justin Faulk or Tyler Myers?
Cant see Myers being available with the whole Trouba not wanting to sign with anyone but like 3 teams fiasco. Faulk might be the only choice. That or rushing Bouchard/Bear or being a shit show again.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Oilers might still be interested in Barrie and this season is likely when he gets moved with young RHD nearly ready to be promoted.

Barrie

for

2019 - 1st
Poolparty

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Cant see Myers being available with the whole Trouba not wanting to sign with anyone but like 3 teams fiasco. Faulk might be the only choice. That or rushing Bouchard/Bear or being a **** show again.
Fair enough on the Myers front, I haven't been following the Trouba at all. A couple veteran options that might not break the bank that put up decent PP numbers are Kronwall & Green, Kronwall is a UFA next summer and Green the following year. I really think rushing someone would be a mistake and in the long term, another years that's a gong show might be better than that option.

That said, when it comes to Ethan Bear, he could very well be ready. Using an example I am familiar with, TJ Brodie only spent 1 full season in the AHL until being called up for good (with the exception of playing in the AHL during the lockout). However, Brodie did get 80 games in the AHL before becoming a regular, Bear only has a little more than half that. So, while he may not be an option on opening night, maybe by Christmas he is.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You do understand that Sekera is owed 5.5m in cash each year while Hossa is owed 1m in cash each year, right?

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Patch+Petry

Bouchard, Poolparty, 2019 1st, Lucic, sekera

Doesn’t fit the 27 or younger winger but certainly takes care of cap problems to resign Patch to play with McDavid. Montreal would be so bad this year without petry or Weber.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I like Smith, what'd you want?
With Yamamoto/bouchard out of the equation, assets I'd be interested in are Jones, puljujarvi, safin, draft picks, and maksimov. Obviously not all of them but some sort of combination. Would be interested in bear as well but I don't want to cut off fabbro from the third pairing should he sign next season. We do need someone like Jones to come up on the left. If we traded Smith I think we'd turn around and try to upgrade his position either in next off-season or at the deadline. There are alot of good ufa to be (for now).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Faulk, Zykov, 2019 1st round pick
for
Puljujarvi, Lucic

So CAR is giving up a shot at Hughes, a top 4 RHD and last year’s leading AHL goal scorer for Pulujarvi’s not yet reached potential and Lucic’s awful contract?

That’s horrific.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So CAR is giving up a shot at Hughes, a top 4 RHD and last year’s leading AHL goal scorer for Pulujarvi’s not yet reached potential and Lucic’s awful contract?

That’s horrific.

Lots of AHL " Leading scorers " amount to nothing in the NHL . As for the rest I don't think the Canes will be that bad to have a legit shot at Hughes . Lucic I think will rebound and he is what your team has said they wanted this off season . But true even if he rebounds his contract is awful

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What do you want for Zibby?

Nothing you guys would be willing to give up. Even an unprotected first better be extremely high. We have Hayes as a UFA, and there's no guarantee that Chytil makes it as a Center in the NHL. Trading Zibby would be a setback right now considering he's only 4 months into being 25, yet feels like he's been around forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad