Your view of Keith Primeau?

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I think pretty much everyone thought Primeau had far more upside though if he put it together. Carolina likely wanted the potential of a monster franchise center. Ricci was also coming off a pretty low scoring regular season with 27 points

Exactly. Primeau was viewed by the press as being held back by the long shadows of Yzerman and Fedorov. He was expected to be a franchise player. Something that was never expected of Ricci.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
How do you figure that? Shanahan got them over the bump. Are you saying that in 1996 Ricci was a better player than Shanahan in 97?

Because Ricci had points in every game on the Avs that beat the wings in 1996, 8 points in 7 games in that series, and a goal in the game 7.

Making him a Wings instead would have obviously a big impact just by not having him with Colorado, but that become a bit of a strange speculation.

It is not like the Wings were missing much, they lost a game 7. That mean close to nothing in determining what was the best team between the 2, winning a best of 5 3-2 mean close to nothing imagine winning a series 4-3...

Edit: 7 pts in 6

Detroit was a powerhouse, not sure they need to be Shanahan better to get over the Ricci less Avs of 1996.

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Because Ricci had points in every game on the Avs that beat the wings in 1996, 8 points in 7 games in that series, and a goal in the game 7.

Making him a Wings instead would have obviously a big impact just by not having him with Colorado, but that become a bit of a strange speculation.

It is not like the Wings were missing much, they lost a game 7. That mean close to nothing in determining what was the best team between the 2, winning a best of 5 3-2 mean close to nothing imagine winning a series 4-3...

It was a 6 game series. (And Roy was the biggest difference.)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Edit: 7 pts in 6

Detroit was a powerhouse, not sure they need to be Shanahan better to get over the Ricci less Avs of 1996.

Shanahan was A missing piece, he became the missing piece when they traded Dino to avoid losing him on waivers. Shanny was important since he was a LW. Dino became kinda expendable on the RW since we had Lapointe, McCarty and Maltby coming into their own. Shanny completed a fairly weak LW from the year before.

Murphy was another missing piece as well as having Rouse and Ward instead of Bergevin and Ramsey.

Ricci wouldnt have been a difference maker for the Wings except that we wouldnt be able to flip him for Shanahan.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Such an underwelming career from such a combo of talent and size. Gratton and many other big guys where overrated where they where drafted. But Primeau could really have been Lindros light (even if drafted a year before Big E...).

Got to admit I was on the hype train in the spring 04. No idea why I at the time tought a 32 year old coming of the years he had was "finally putting it together". But even if his numbers may not look massively impressive, he played really great that spring. Sometimes players get that certain aura around on them. Primeau had that aura that spring.

Kind of funny he got a lone all star vote for five different seasons playong on three different teams. And even more fun that a young Patrick Sharp was on that 03-04 team. I often forget he was in the leauge before the lockout...

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
are we all assuming that primeau, not coffey, was the big piece in the shanahan trade?

I had that impression at the time or maybe it is becaused he was traded to the flyers after only 20 games, that really didn't gave the impression that he was the wanted piece.

You could be right, that would give an idea of is perceived value at the time, what the Flyers gave for him:

Kevin Haller
1997 1st round pick
1997 7th round pick

For
Coffer
1997 3rd round pick

Not a bad value.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
are we all assuming that primeau, not coffey, was the big piece in the shanahan trade?

I think they both were. Shanahan was a 27 year old star winger so he should return a lot. Coffey had a good season but at 35 and Hartford going nowhere (except to Carolina), I can't imagine they wouldn't want a piece that could be a building block for the future along with him or else they'd look elsewhere.

I would suspect more than anything Coffey was seen as a high end asset they could get back along with Primeau to further add to their future through trade, which is why he was dealt so quickly.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Keith Primeau was seen as the piece Hartford wanted the most. He was going to be their franchise player. Coffey made it clear he didnt want to go there from the beginning and was seen as a piece they could flip.

KbGSroZ.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad