Your Unpopular Hockey Opinions-LA Kings Fans Version

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
UrL8HAH.jpg

that's exactly what i had in mind :laugh:

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The Kings should have brought back the Burger King jerseys for the outdoor game. They wouldn't have had a problem getting them off the shelves like they are with the hideous jerseys for the blind they released.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The Kings should have brought back the Burger King jerseys for the outdoor game. They wouldn't have had a problem getting them off the shelves like they are with the hideous jerseys for the blind they released.

I liked the hats for it though. Bought one to replace my 2014 champs hat.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Kinda wish we'd change our system to one which wasn't so taxing on the players and resulted in more scoring and better regular seasons. On paper, this team should be competing for the division.

Dynasties do not and will not exist in the salary cap era no matter how much we lower standards.

A franchise in Vegas is a good idea and will do fine.

Kopitar should be re-signed at all costs.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
The atmosphere at Staples sucks--the music is terrible, and most of the fans there are ignorant and childish. It's cringeworthy.

We don't draft particularly well, and our farm system is not very strong.

Our defense is a bigger problem than our offense.

I'd be more than okay with Sutter retiring. I don't think he should be fired, but I'd like another coach.

And you people who think that Nolan is good are smoking crack.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The atmosphere at Staples sucks--the music is terrible, and most of the fans there are ignorant and childish. It's cringeworthy.

We don't draft particularly well, and our farm system is not very strong.

Our defense is a bigger problem than our offense.

I'd be more than okay with Sutter retiring. I don't think he should be fired, but I'd like another coach.

The 15 players drafted and developed by the Kings on last years roster would disagree.

Captain Mittens*

Nolan had shown flashes of brilliance. It needs to be more often than a lightening strike though. Nolan needs to be like Motel 6 and always leave a light on for us.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Nolan just needs to be out there and be a bully. He'll never get more than 20 points in a season, but if he can get under the skin of the opponents, he's doing his job. He was doing that towards the end of the season. He has also cut down on the nonsense penalties and hopefully won't get suspended again.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
The 15 players drafted and developed by the Kings on last years roster would disagree.
When Lombardi accumulated picks and invested assets into the prospect system, we produced a good number of players. But, we've done very poorly with our first round picks (Hickey, Teubert for example), and overall I suspect that our efficiency is about average. We just so happen to have invested more into drafting for a long time.

There's this mythology that Lombardi &co. are wizards at the draft table, but I just don't see it.

Plus, Kopitar and Quick were both Taylor's picks, and Doughty was a no-brainer at #2. But look, I'm not saying we're BAD, I'm just saying we're ordinary. Lombardi's drafting is sufficient, but his real strengths are elsewhere.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When Lombardi accumulated picks and invested assets into the prospect system, we produced a good number of players. But, we've done very poorly with our first round picks (Hickey, Teubert for example), and overall I suspect that our efficiency is about average. We just so happen to have invested more into drafting for a long time.

There's this mythology that Lombardi &co. are wizards at the draft table, but I just don't see it.

Plus, Kopitar and Quick were both Taylor's picks, and Doughty was a no-brainer at #2. But look, I'm not saying we're BAD, I'm just saying we're ordinary. Lombardi's drafting is sufficient, but his real strengths are elsewhere.

Would love to see even 10 teams that have done better. I don't think you can prove this. It's not just an unpopular opinion, it's baseless. Most of us agree that the first rounders are questionable for the most part, but when the Canucks GM is pointing out how looking at our minor league graduates are a model for the league, he's not just blowing smoke.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Would love to see even 10 teams that have done better. I don't think you can prove this. It's not just an unpopular opinion, it's baseless. Most of us agree that the first rounders are questionable for the most part, but when the Canucks GM is pointing out how looking at our minor league graduates are a model for the league, he's not just blowing smoke.
Well, look, someone must have done the math to see how many games a pick at each position will play, on average, after five years or whatever. And, in doing that, they must have some data on which teams have tended to get better results that others. I'm happy to be proven wrong if the Kings average better than that, both now and in the future. And, I will admit that our development is probably above average; if nothing else, I'd bet that it's slower and that that has substantial benefits.

People pointing at the success we have had with homegrown players is fair--but that's what you should expect given that we put all of our resources into the draft for a good while there. We invested and got worthwhile returns, but I'm skeptical that our returns were higher than what an average team would have gotten had they also invested the same resources.

Like I said, we draft fine, but Lombardi is hardly Nostradamus. I just don't agree with the mythology that has surrounded him, so that EVERY player we draft is suddenly great, and that it doesn't matter that we've blown through our higher draft picks the past few years because Lombardi's going to find all these gems in the later rounds. And, as responses indicate, that is a very unpopular opinion indeed!

Edit: Here's a piece from 2014 that looks at what percentage of players from rounds 3 through 7 play at least 50 games in the NHL. This is obviously an imperfect metric; for example, it may be biased against teams that develop players more slowly, since there are some players in our system who will in the future play 50 games but have no yet. A worse team or a team that rushes prospects will look better in this metric, since their picks will get 50 games more quickly. But, every metric will have its problems. Plus, it's very difficult at present to account for quality. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to judge what Corsi a player at each position "should" have or something, but that's obviously impossible now. So, we have this one metric. Where are the Kings? 14th, right in the middle. If you take only the drafts from 2005-10, to account for the bias noted above, the Kings improve somewhat, to 12th. The piece is here: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2014/1...ton-oilers-columbus-blue-jackets-dallas-stars

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, look, someone must have done the math to see how many games a pick at each position will play, on average, after five years or whatever. And, in doing that, they must have some data on which teams have tended to get better results that others. I'm happy to be proven wrong if the Kings average better than that, both now and in the future. And, I will admit that our development is probably above average; if nothing else, I'd bet that it's slower and that that has substantial benefits.

People pointing at the success we have had with homegrown players is fair--but that's what you should expect given that we put all of our resources into the draft for a good while there. We invested and got worthwhile returns, but I'm skeptical that our returns were higher than what an average team would have gotten had they also invested the same resources.

Like I said, we draft fine, but Lombardi is hardly Nostradamus. I just don't agree with the mythology that has surrounded him, so that EVERY player we draft is suddenly great, and that it doesn't matter that we've blown through our higher draft picks the past few years because Lombardi's going to find all these gems in the later rounds. And, as responses indicate, that is a very unpopular opinion indeed!

Edit: Here's a piece from 2014 that looks at what percentage of players from rounds 3 through 7 play at least 50 games in the NHL. This is obviously an imperfect metric; for example, it may be biased against teams that develop players more slowly, since there are some players in our system who will in the future play 50 games but have no yet. A worse team or a team that rushes prospects will look better in this metric, since their picks will get 50 games more quickly. But, every metric will have its problems. Plus, it's very difficult at present to account for quality. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to judge what Corsi a player at each position "should" have or something, but that's obviously impossible now. So, we have this one metric. Where are the Kings? 14th, right in the middle. If you take only the drafts from 2005-10, to account for the bias noted above, the Kings improve somewhat, to 12th. The piece is here: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2014/1...ton-oilers-columbus-blue-jackets-dallas-stars

Someone around here did something similar though which is why I even brought it up. I'll see if I can dig for it but no clue exactly what I'd be searching for. Agreed on development regardless.

That link isn't perfect as you note but it's a nice thought. I'm not going to put much stock into 2005-2008 drafts for obvious reasons, and I think leaving out the 2nd round hurts us too. Also, look at the quality of players vs. games (and CBJ had so many playing for a variety of reasons, including horrible teams and injury problems). I know there's no perfect metric for measuring that, and I know you're not saying we're awful, I just think this is actually one of our organization's real strengths right now. I need to get some work done but i"ll try to sneak in a search to prove why, heh.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
I'm still upset about the Paul Coffey trade.

It was a "locker room decision" or that was what was said at the time. Paul Coffey has had a certain rumor following him around for most of his life. I hated seeing him go regardless of what or who he is off the ice. That guy was one of the very best.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
It was a "locker room decision" or that was what was said at the time. Paul Coffey has had a certain rumor following him around for most of his life. I hated seeing him go regardless of what or who he is off the ice. That guy was one of the very best.

Coffey >> Orr

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
The Kings didn't look like they cared last year and that's the main reason why they missed the playoffs.

Martinez should be moved for a center if Voynov returns.

Captain Mittens*

I was pissed about the Robitaille -Tocchet trade for a few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->