Your Underappreciated-Yet-Not-Quite-Spacegoat Players Thread

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
We all have our favorites, and we all know who the usual suspects are, but who are your top underappreciated players for the Wings? Mine are, in no particular order:

Jonathan Bernier - Solid goatlender on a bad team, deserves much better;

Jacob De La Rose - Plays his role beautifully, and could probably do a little more;

Christopher Ehn - Unexpectedly good right out of camp; could easily replace a current Spacegoat or two;

Luke "I don't give a f*** what you think" Witkowski - As usual, I think his play is criminally underrated on this board; in my opinion, he should have a more consistent role as a checking forward, and his passing from the back end is largely ignored. Yes, he's a bottom-pair/4th liner, but he's a guy you want around.

What about the rest of you who don't have me ignored? :laugh:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Love to see Witowski back, let him play every 6th or 7th game.. plays solid. And will hit and fight anything.. need guys like that on the roster even if they don't play every game. When he is on the ice he doesn't stick out like someone who can't handle the modern day game. Love his character and willingness to protect his teammates.

Reactions: RedMenace

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
With you on all but Bernier. Dude is bad.

I think Helm. Paid too much so asked to do too much. Let him be a legit 4C with a 4C salary and he’s good

I really don't think Bernie's been as bad as his numbers indicate, but I'm not here to argue.

Helm, unfortunately, is one of the aforementioned Spacegoats, if for no other reason than his salary.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
De La Rose.
Solid pick up and has played great in his role. Good bottom 6 guy.

I'd agree with you on Ehn but I don't think he's underappreciated. I think most people like him, no? If not then I'll say Ehn too.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fine if you like Bernier, but he has largely been dreadful in goal for us this season. For every good game, he has 4 or 5 quite bad ones. He just had a pretty good game against Montreal, and that only improved his numbers to, 3.33 and .899%, which is bad even on a bad team.

Mine our:

1) Darren Helm - A good defensive center who plays hard every night and gets shit on constantly on here, despite the fact that he is only slightly over paid, and is not even close to being the reason we are bad.

2) Christopher Ehn - Solid defensive player

3) Jacob de La Rose - same as Ehn.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
De La Rose.
Solid pick up and has played great in his role. Good bottom 6 guy.

I'd agree with you on Ehn but I don't think he's underappreciated. I think most people like him, no? If not then I'll say Ehn too.

I just don't think Ehn gets talked about enough for what he's been able to do as a "grinding" rookie.

I suppose I'll allow Helm. :thumbu:

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Ken Holland deserves the most appreciation. He put all these fine players on the roster so it starts with him. Stellar.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I just don't think Ehn gets talked about enough for what he's been able to do as a "grinder" rookie.

Ya know what, you're right.
I love the kid. Every game he is strong on the forecheck, wins battles and seems to create chances now and then.
I don't see him take shifts off. Always hustling out there.
Personally I look forward to watching him next season, hoping he makes another step. Even as he is right now he's a great 4th liner.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
In years past, I was a discipline of the church of Patrick Eaves. He was always my unsung guy. And, to a degree, Jonathan Ericsson.

So on that note, it's still Ericsson. This is a player who has routinely played above his draft pedigree and natural talents. He has battled severe injuries for years now. After Lidstrom retired, he was anchoring the top pairing with Kronwall and formed the only duo Babcock could trust against #1 lines and on the PK.

Ericsson frustrated fans because he never lived up to the rookie hype and his big frame meant he could be exposed by speedy players. But the guy was a total pro, class act, and gave everything we asked him to give.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Irony I have yet to see AA mentioned......

Because AA has been pretty good this year and isn’t under appreciated or a spacegoat.

He plays good most of us say nice things. He loafs to a level that they actually talk about it during the game and during the postgame and he gets benched for it and we say mean things.

And if you really look at it.. 12 games left and he’s got 42 points. It’s a good season, but it’s also the same season that people have nonstop given **** to Nyquist and Tatar for “only” having.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
God, I dunno. I think the underappreciated players are under appreciated because they’re barely NHLers you know? I appreciate Ehn’s hustle a lot. I think Mantha is extremely underappreciated, because he’s not putting up thirty goals. And while he’s definitelty not living up to the hype, he’s still a very good top 6 hockey player who drives possession. Guy rarely gets hemmed up in his own end when he’s on the ice, as much as that’s possible on a team this bad.

Hronek was underappreciated big time earlier in the year, but I think people are coming around on him now that Blashill is playing him 25+ minutes a night. So there’s that.

Nyquist was always very underappreciated while he was here and it’s great seeing him soar in San Jose as gooses are want to do.

Nielsen might be a little underappreciated simply because he’s so extremely overpaid.

AA is absolutely underappreciated, because people have a weird hate boner for the guy. He’s been one of the few bright spots this year and I don’t want him to go anywhere at all.

At the end of the day, I’d say everyone on this team is either over or underappreciated to some degree except for like Larkin and Bertuzzi who seem correctly appreciated by all.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Cue the Dennis Green “they are who we thought they are” video...
We aim to please!

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->