Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
1997-wanted Hossa but he went 2 picks before and we got Riesen
1998-wanted Henrich and got him, bad pick
1999-wanted Lundmark got Rita, not much difference
2000-wanted Frolov who was available but got Mikhnov
2001-wanted Hemsky and we got him
2002-wanted Higgins but the Oilers traded spots with Montreal and they took him, wait and see on how Niinimaki turns out
2003-wanted Parise and he was available but they took Pouliot and Jacques instead, was dissapointed at first but I think this will work out well for the Oilers

Since 2000, I've been making a rankings before the draft and if the Oilers had went with my list the Oilers would have selected Frolov, Hemsky, Higgins and Parise.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
1995 : Wanted Shane Doan, We Got Terry Ryan :cry:
1996 : Wanted Matthieu Descottaux, We Got Matt Higgins
1997 : Wanted Marian Hossa ( Badly ), We Got Jason Ward :cry:
1998 : Wanted Milan Kraft, We Got Eric Chouinard
1999 : Wanted Jani Rita, No First
2000 : Wanted Ron Hainsey and Krys Kolanos We Got Ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa
2001 : Wanted Mike Komisarek and Mike Cammalleri, We Got Mike Komisarek and Alexander Perezhogin
2002 : Wanted Denis Grebeshkov, We Got Chris Higgins
2003 : Wanted Andrei Kastitsyn, We Got Andrei Kastitsyn

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
1997 - Obviously Thornton, but for the second pick I was hoping either Mara or Samsonov, we got Samsonov :p:
1998 - no 1st, but I was happy with Girard.
1999 - I was hoping they'd take Oulette,or Havlat, but got Boynton instead worked out well
2000 - I was hoping Torres or Klesla, but got Jonsson
2001 - I thought the B's would go with a d and take Popovic, they went with Morrisonn
2002 - I figured they'd take a goalie, but I was hoping for Deslauriers, but I'm glad they took Toivonen
2003 - Parise was avaliable and I thought the B's would take him, then they traded down, and he was still available, then they traded down again, and took Stuart, who looks like he will be a good one. :banana:

PK*

1997 - Wanted Marian Hossa, we picked Jason Ward.
1998 - Wanted Alex Tanguay, but he didn't slip to us. Then it was Simon Gagné, but we selected Eric Chouinard.
1999 - If Houle wouldn't have traded the 10th pick, I would have loved tosee the Habs select Martin Havlat or Nick Boynton.
2000 - I wanted ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa. We selected both, let's hope they can do some damage next year in the NHL, not the AHL.
2001 - I wanted Mikko Koivu and Jeff Woywitka. Glad Koivu got selected by Minnesota because I believe we're better off with Komisarek. I'm happy with Perezhogin too.
2002 - I wanted them to select Dan Paille. We got Chris Higgins.
2003 - I wanted Andrei Kostitsyn, but I thought there was no way he'd slip to 10th. Glad he did.

X-SHARKIE

1997: Hoped Thorton would fall. Satisfied with Marleau and Scott Hannan bigg time...best draft of the Sharks yet.
1998: Wanted Vincent Lecavalier...Instead we got Stuart and Cheechoo :) another excelent draft.
1999: Jeff Jillson: we got him.....And he landed us Kyle McLaren :)
2000: Brad Boyes: No first round pick but hoped we would trade up to the 1st round....since we were active trading in the past 3 out of 4 years at the draft. Ended up aquiring him later, then trading him.
2001: Jeff Woywitka: happy with Marcel Goc, both wont be standouts but Goc and Woywitka well produce and be good NHLers.
2002: Jiri Hudler: Mike Morris seems like the all around better player but doesn thave Hudlers offensive flare.
2003: Milan Michalek and Anthony Stewart: We got Michalek WOOOHOOO and Bernier :) So far Bernier looks like he could be better then Stewart with his coditioning and skating improved dramatically.
2004: Carld Soderberg or Kirill Lyamin: Who well we take!

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
"2001 - I thought the B's would go with a d and take Popovic, they went with Morrisonn"

I wanted Popovic in that draft as well, but Morrisonn landed us Gonchar!!!!

Note: I quoted the top line but it came up like this for whatever reason. :dunno:

Last edited:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
1997 - 1) Luongo 2) Tkaczuk 3) Samsonov (ended up with Tkaczuk)
1998 - Skoula (ended up with Fata)
1999 - Lundmark/Shvidky (ended up with Saprykin)
2000 - Yakubov/Frolov (ended up with Krahn)
2001 - Blackburn/Leclaire/Ruutu (ended up with Kobasew)
2002 - Semin/Babchuk/Eminger (ended up with Nystrom)
2003 - Coburn/Suter/Phaneuf/Carter/Getzlaf (ended up with Phaneuf)

Last edited:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
As a thrasher fan we've been pretty lucky that we had a lot of picks in the top 5 and so it is pretty easy to select the best player available when drafting and get it.

1999 - It was tough to split the Sedins, Stefan and Brendl. My choice would of been Daniel Sedin but we ended up with Stefan. I fairly happy with the choice now six years down the track.
2000 - I seriously thought that thrashers would draft Rick DiPetro because we needed a goaltender and Milbury would be crazy to pass up on Gaborik. I'm estatic now that DiPetro was gone before our pick and we got a future hall of famer in Heatley.
2001 - All the hype was with Spezza but my choice was definately to choose Kovalchuk the best player in the draft. Waddell however seriously considered trading the pick and Kovalchuk could of been a hab if they parted with Theodore instead of Garon in the proposed trade offer.
2002 - I wanted j-bo but I knew that Dudley was no way going to overlook him so I was fairly pleased with the selection of Lehtonen.
2003 - My choice was Coburn and we got Coburn, so I was very happy with the selection.
2004 - AJ Thelen is my choice for the thrashers but on a lot of mock draft I've seen he might go to Anaheim at pick 9 so I hope he is available at pick 10.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
I only started following prospects before the 2002 draft (such a n00b, I know).

2002-Wanted Babchuk, Hudler, but most of all Lupul. Predicted the Pens would grab Nemec with their 2nd.

2003-Wanted what was left of Zherdev, Staal, Fleury. Also had a feeling the Pens would take Filewich.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
1998 -- wanted Erik Cole, got Maxim "Who?" Linnik... :mad:

2000 -- wanted Tomas Kopecky or Matt Pettinger, got Jeff Taffe... :mad:

2003 -- wanted Vojtech Polak, got Shawn Belle (which isn't too bad, I guess...).

PrussianBlue :blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad