Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
And I would also say that, in other circumstances, I would be okay with getting paid to move down if you were confident in how the board -could- fall.

Just that we've moved beyond that point and I think identifying players and try everything to get them is our drafting stage now.
I get you and make sense. But for the fun of it... say CGY call to move up, what would be an acceptable trade to assume the "risk".

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I get you and make sense. But for the fun of it... say CGY call to move up, what would be an acceptable trade to assume the "risk".

It'd take another late 1st to do it from a value perspective.

But then you'd have to work the phones and see if those two picks together can get you into the teens.

Reactions: Habs

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
It'd take another late 1st to do it from a value perspective.

But then you'd have to work the phones and see if those two picks together can get you into the teens.
yeah, that would make sense. and who would you target in that range?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I agree, but the way I read people's assessment of prospects is that after Celebrini... it is so close that players are interchangeable. Team's lists are bound to be quite different. Should MTL get an offer to move down and still get their next player on their list... why not do it.

This is what they should have done last year, I firmly believe Reinbacher would have been there if they moved down. But this year, they should stick to the 2 players who should be there.. hopefully will be there. Iginla or a Dman.. I hope so anyways

I am one of the Catton fanclub member but I still expect Tij Iginla to be drafted higher and I would not mind at all if he is the Habs choice. He is amazing at puck protection, his shot release his amazing, he also possess good hockey IQ, he is an Iginla but I would not consider him a full power forward like his father, more like a high compete sniper. I think he would fit perfectly as a top 6 winger in the NHL. He would need to work a bit on his skating and his get stronger but I think he could start in the NHL quite possibly as a 19 years old, if developed properly.

I've watched both live, a few times, Iggy passes the eye test far as skating, I don't get this knock on him. Always go with the bloodline if its a tie lol.
Will be very interesting to see this year's draft and what the team decides!

Reactions: Rapala

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
This is what they should have done last year, I firmly believe Reinbacher would have been there if they moved down. But this year, they should stick to the 2 players who should be there.. hopefully will be there. Iginla or a Dman.. I hope so anyways

I've watched both live, a few times, Iggy passes the eye test far as skating, I don't get this knock on him. Always go with the bloodline if its a tie lol.

Can't recall who said it at the time, but Phoenix pick was Reinbacher, so trading down would have meant losing on him.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I agree with Catton. Much higher upside.

I believe Tij is getting a bit overrated due to his last name and it worries me. He's not the power forward people are envisioning. I do like him though and seems like a natural fit.
I agree. I'd love him at 15 or whatever, but he's only just coming into the top 10 discussion and we're looking at taking him 6th or so. Iginla has been rising quickly, and that's good, but they'd have to be pretty sure of his projection to take him over some of the other options.

It's a good safe pick for a bad GM. "I had to take him, the bloodlines." It's a challenging pick for a good GM.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Well i'm team Leonard/Michkov so I would have been ok with that lol
Me too, especially if the rumor about Philadelphia willing to trade up. Could maybe have figured out a way to get their 2nd first round pick and still get Leonard.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not sure who he reminds me of most, but there’s quite a bit to like. He’s above average across the board and those guys always grade the highest for me and tend to pan out. I also like the fact he’s young and starting to really breakout, suggests the best is yet to come. I also think his skill set would be a nice fit as a rugged winger who can score. Really just hope he aces the rest of the pre draft process, starting with the U18s, and elevates himself to an obvious pick as supposed to the reach he’d be currently.
The Kid is going to get bigger stronger better. I really like his frame he looks strong below the waist.

Reactions: bopeep and HabbyGuy

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

What you believe and what happens is at odds a lot of the time, that goes for all of us. Management has a far better grasp on those kind of situations far more than fans.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Well i'm team Leonard/Michkov so I would have been ok with that lol
lol. fair enough.
I also thought that they should have traded down to pick Reinbacher if they didn't want Michkov/Leonard until I read PHO wanted him. I was on the Leonard bandwagon if we could pick one of the top 4 players.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What you believe and what happens is at odds a lot of the time, that goes for all of us. Management has a far better grasp on those kind of situations far more than fans.
I would assume they do, but the same scouts went full retread to take Kotkaniemi and were willing to take him higher than most ranked him. If you can't tell I'm still butthurt over that draft lol. I'll probably have Habs Drafting PTSD for the next 20 years, last year broke me once again. Just when I think they wouldn't pass on someone.... and they do.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I would assume they do, but the same scouts went full retread to take Kotkaniemi and were willing to take him higher than most ranked him. If you can't tell I'm still butthurt over that draft lol. I'll probably have Habs Drafting PTSD for the next 20 years, last year broke me once again. Just when I think they wouldn't pass on someone.... and they do.

Agreed. The risk/reward seemed to offer better overall value to take a shot on a rare talent like Michkov VS Reinbacher, but let's see....

I still remember the hype from the Perezhogin, Balej, Higgins, Hainsey, etc. days.

The point is, optimism is great but our scouts/management are not infallible by any means.

It's very possible Reinbacher turns into a solid D man, not elite by any means, and Michkov pans out to be a bonafide superstar (or he never comes over to NHL), or Leonard pans out to be a better scoring version of Kachook... who knows.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Me too, especially if the rumor about Philadelphia willing to trade up. Could maybe have figured out a way to get their 2nd first round pick and still get Leonard.
I'm pretty sure the Flyers wanted to draft Reinbacher at 5 and Michkov at 7. They offered Cutter for the # 5th overall pick in the 2023 draft.

Reactions: Habs and mdk

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
yeah, that would make sense. and who would you target in that range?

Hard to know.. but if you're moving up you'd be hoping to see someone like Eiserman, MBN or Helenius sliding. If not, then I'd target Sennecke. Outside of that, I like Boisvert, Hage, Letourneau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad