Your Top 50 Prospects List

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
only Flyers fans would put Giroux and especially Downie on any top50 list. Giroux could become the next Briere but still has a long way to go before coming anything close. He's really on the small style but still young so could grow a few inches, Downey' the next Tootoo, a fan favorite hardworking 4th line player. He doesn't have upside anywhere near the players mentioned in everyone's list
Interesting, because wasn't it Latendresse who was sitting on the bench for most of the tournament? and wasn't it Downie that scored 6pts in 7 games and was probably Canada's best forward?

Retail1LO*

To elaborate...here's a list of players currently listed on various teams top 20 lists, who have players ranked beneathe them on the top 50...that themselves are potentially not going to make the top 25. With 25 spots left up for grabs...here are a list of players not yet listed in the top 50, who have other players on their teams currently listed on the top 50:

Anaheim
Bobby Ryan
Ryan Getzlaf

Boston
Phil Kessel
Hannu Toivonen

Carolina
Cam Ward
Jack Johnson

Chicago
***Toewes isn't listed in the top 20 on the Hawks page, but depending on where he falls, it will bring Barker and Skille into question

Columbus
Gilbert Brule
Pascal Leclaire

Detriot
Jakub Kindl
Jiri Hudler
Jimmy Howard

Edmonton
Robbi Schremp

LA
Patrick O'Sullivan
Anze Kopitar
Brian Boyle

Montreal
Latendresse
Kostsitsyn

I could go on...but that's TWENTY right there....and that's not even through half the NHL clubs.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
Not a chance. He will have a solid year but will not lead the league in points. I love Downie, watched him play in Windsor and actually know him. Great guy etc but not a player to lead the league in scoring. Should have a career in the NHL but more like a lesser Darcy Tucker. Same player just not as much offense.

I am not saying he should be on the list, but he has at least as much offense as Tucker has. Better hands and a better passer by far. He has great poise and patience with the puck.

mooseOAK*

I am not saying he should be on the list, but he has at least as much offense as Tucker has. Better hands and a better passer by far. He has great poise and patience with the puck.

Of course, he has only ever played against kids. Downie will be your classic 10 goal scorer in the NHL.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
not just being a homer here, but Zajac should at least be on the back end of most of the lists. He's more of a complete package then most in the top 50. He has everything you could want.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Interesting, because wasn't it Latendresse who was sitting on the bench for most of the tournament? and wasn't it Downie that scored 6pts in 7 games and was probably Canada's best forward?

I agree that Latendresse showed little to no motivation at all, but he still has 10x times the potential that Downey has. He's once again showing us he could be in the NHL for a 2nd year in a row now, and not a s a 4th liner Downey's a hard working grinder who's going threw the D all the time, he won't do that in a men's league. Again just like Tootoo, Garth Murray, Steve Bégin .... the list goes on, i didn't said he woudn't be useful

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Had to be on the bruins board lastnight :biglaugh:

1.Strazzobosco :bow:
2.Strazzobosco
3.Strazzobosco
4.Strazzobosco
5.Strazzobosco
6.Strazzobosco
7.Strazzobosco
8.Strazzobosco
9.Strazzobosco
10.Strazzobosco
11.Strazzobosco
12.Strazzobosco
13.Strazzobosco
14.Strazzobosco
15.Strazzobosco
16.Strazzobosco
17.Strazzobosco
18.Strazzobosco
19.Strazzobosco
20.Strazzobosco
21.Strazzobosco
22.Strazzobosco
23.Strazzobosco
24.Strazzobosco
25.Strazzobosco
26.Strazzobosco
27.Strazzobosco
28.Strazzobosco
29.Strazzobosco
30.Strazzobosco
31.Strazzobosco
32.Strazzobosco
33.Strazzobosco
34.Strazzobosco
35.Strazzobosco
36.Strazzobosco
37.Strazzobosco
38.Strazzobosco
39.Strazzobosco
40.Strazzobosco
41.Strazzobosco
42.Strazzobosco
43.Strazzobosco
44.Strazzobosco
45.Strazzobosco
46.Strazzobosco
47.Strazzobosco
48.Strazzobosco
49.Strazzobosco
50.Strazzobosco

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
Isn't there anyone who thinks that Jordan Staal is a better prospect than the guys who were drafted after him? Other than Ray Shero, I mean.

I don't want to take anything away from the others, but it just doesn't seem right that the kid who was touted as having the highest upside of the forward crop is now sitting behind them because he's perceived as being a little less far along right now. Plus he's been fantastic at camp this year, so he's done nothing to cause his potential to slip.

Or am I caring too much about this little beauty pageant?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
45. T.J. Oshie, C – St. Louis Blues

Oshie burst onto the NCAA scene .... was given plenty of opportunities to fill the net. There is a bit of a concern that Oshie’s excellent first-year totals may have been a product of playing alongside creative offensive players such as Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac and Jonathan Toews and until Oshie can score at a similar clip without a similar supporting cast.
:huh: Are we talking about the same Drew Stafford and Travis Zajac that didn't get ranked in HF's top 50 prospects?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
:huh: Are we talking about the same Drew Stafford and Travis Zajac that didn't get ranked in HF's top 50 prospects?

Since when did that become the yardstick of a prospect's current play? Stafford and Zajac are very good NCAA players right now no matter how far their progression goes.

I really like Oshie and I am not ragging on him at all. In fact, as I see it, concerns about his play being a result of talent around him are the only thing keeping out of the top 25. As soon as he can prove those concerns wrong(hopefully this season), he'll jump up quite a bit in a lot of people's eyes.

Randall Graves*

yep cause a Leafs fan would love Steve Downie, the dude was argubaly Canada's best forward at the WJC's, he is still eligible to play with them again this year. This kid is gonna lead the OHL in points this year, wait and see.
Despite his flaws Bobby Ryan will outscore Steve Downie if he plays in the OHL all year.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Since when did that become the yardstick of a prospect's current play? Stafford and Zajac are very good NCAA players right now no matter how far their progression goes.
Apparently Oshie's was possibly riding the coattails of one of those two last season. If that's the case, I'd expect one of those two to be ranked higher than Oshie is.

Since that's not the case, like several other things in HF's rankings this time around - there's a disconnect somewhere.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Despite his flaws Bobby Ryan will outscore Steve Downie if he plays in the OHL all year.
I am not sure about that, he has a great shot at it. Bobby Ryan was insane out of the gate last season, but was mediocore after the WJC's. Personally about a little skeptical on Bobby Ryan, I guess time will tell.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Apparently Oshie's was possibly riding the coattails of one of those two last season. If that's the case, I'd expect one of those two to be ranked higher than Oshie is.

Since that's not the case, like several other things in HF's rankings this time around - there's a disconnect somewhere.

Ooooo, ok now I get it. Still, it was kinda like the Knights and Perry, it was such a stacked team, even as the best player(that year) his ultimate potential was questioned.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Ooooo, ok now I get it. Still, it was kinda like the Knights and Perry, it was such a stacked team, even as the best player(that year) his ultimate potential was questioned.
The more I look this list over, see where some players are and aren't ranked, and look at the writeups, the more I'm questioning the list ...

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Pogge is not on the same level as goalies like Toivonen, Raskk and Montoya.

Well since no one else mentioned it I'll strongly disagree with that statement..........Pogge is every bit the prospect that Toivonen Rask and Montoya are and is just a few years younger then Toivonen and Montoya...........and has been every bit as good as Rask if not better to this point.

Pogge is vasty underrated around here.........guy had an absolutely unreal season last year for Calgary and for the Canadian World Junior team which was rated in the area of about 4th going into the tourney and won it quite easily in the end.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The more I look this list over, see where some players are and aren't ranked, and look at the writeups, the more I'm questioning the list ...

You do realize the list is made by committee, right?

Maybe some of the people on the committee feel that Oshie was getting his stats inflated by Zajac and Stafford, but ultimately the committee chose not to have him on the top 50 list?

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site

I really like Oshie and I am not ragging on him at all. In fact, as I see it, concerns about his play being a result of talent around him are the only thing keeping out of the top 25. As soon as he can prove those concerns wrong(hopefully this season), he'll jump up quite a bit in a lot of people's eyes.

Kinda like Stempniak getting away from Jessiman. How's Jessiman doin these days now anyways. You think he will make the jump to the AHL soon?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site

Did you see Kessel pass to Potulny? And Kessel then pass to anyone else? Potunly's shot and ability to handle an A+ pass helped Kessel land alot of assists. So why is Potulny not higher than Kessel?

I do agree it works both ways. Would Stafford and Zajac have had as good of years if Oshie was not finishing or setting them up. It is hard to tell.

The thing that scares me about Oshie; he is a very solid college player. Can out work and out hustle you. But at sub 6 feet and sub 200 pounds. Is he still going to out work guys in the NHL night after night. If he can polish his game up. He should be just fine. Right now though he still likes to play big and reckless. Reminds me of Keith Ballard. Both fearless and from northern MN. If Oshie can get up to 200 like Keith. He will be a monster to play against.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Did you see Kessel pass to Potulny? And Kessel then pass to anyone else? Potunly's shot and ability to handle an A+ pass helped Kessel land alot of assists. So why is Potulny not higher than Kessel?

I do agree it works both ways. Would Stafford and Zajac have had as good of years if Oshie was not finishing or setting them up. It is hard to tell.

The thing that scares me about Oshie; he is a very solid college player. Can out work and out hustle you. But at sub 6 feet and sub 200 pounds. Is he still going to out work guys in the NHL night after night. If he can polish his game up. He should be just fine. Right now though he still likes to play big and reckless. Reminds me of Keith Ballard. Both fearless and from northern MN. If Oshie can get up to 200 like Keith. He will be a monster to play against.

Oshie was drafted specifially because of his work ethic and willingness to do extra-hockey stuff like the weight room.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Had to be on the bruins board lastnight

1.Strazzobosco
2.Strazzobosco
3.Strazzobosco
4.Strazzobosco
5.Strazzobosco
6.Strazzobosco
7.Strazzobosco