Music: "Your" top 5 greatest 'pop music' solo artists?

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Not a popular consensus debate or question, a personal opinion/taste question. Given popularity/album sales all time it appears the "general consensus top 5" should be Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Madonna, and possibly Taylor Swift(?). Even looking at that list, skewings are seen given the fact that Elvis selling what he did when the world and north american population what it was is not nearly the same as MJ doing it in an era 20years later, or Swift doing it in an era 50 years later.

Who are your favorite top 5 pop music solo artists?

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Elvis Presley
Bruce Springsteen
Johnny Cash (you can argue the "pop" part I guess)
Rick Springfield
Jackson Browne

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Babe Ruth

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
David Bowie
Neil Young
Paul McCartney
Bryan Ferry
Beth Gibbons

HM: Thom Yorke; Robert Plant; Ed O'Brien; Jeff Beck; Mark Hollis (not that there was enough of it)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I don't really understand what pop means. Is Alice Cooper pop? If so, put him at #1 for me, a mile in front of anybody else.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I don't really understand what pop means. Is Alice Cooper pop? If so, put him at #1 for me, a mile in front of anybody else.

Alice Cooper is neither pop nor a solo artist - or at least not in the examples you posted. Up until 1975 Alice Cooper was the name of the band. When they broke up, lead singer Vincent Furnier took the nane for himself and launched his solo career.

Reactions: barriers

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Alice Cooper is neither pop nor a solo artist - or at least not in the examples you posted. Up until 1975 Alice Cooper was the name of the band. When they broke up, lead singer Vincent Furnier took the nane for himself and launched his solo career.

Oh yeah, I knew that of course, should have posted later songs...

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with 5 solo pop acts that I like.
Tom Waits is nice, Herbert Grönemeyer's early stuff was ok. But after that I am drawing a blank. Apparently I like bands more..

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Tom Waits is nice, Herbert Grönemeyer's early stuff was ok. But after that I am drawing a blank. Apparently I like bands more..

Tom Waits is pop? I really don't understand the concept :)

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tom Waits is pop? I really don't understand the concept :)
This is a really good point. I sort of ignored the term and just put down solo rock artists that I liked. But the only one on my list and my HMs that could be described as pop is Paul McCartney, and that only part of the time. If I had to make a list of just pop solo artists that I liked, I probably wouldn't get past McCartney.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Same, my list is pretty much just Kate Bush, Taylor Swift, MJ, and I guess CRJ

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Cool. I'm not sure most casual fans know the difference. I much prefer the band to the solo work.

Same, even if I love Welcome to my Nightmare, Goes to Hell and From the Inside, they're not on par with what came before. I'll still listen to anything from Alice, he came up with a few interesting albums later on too after a difficult period... (Welcome 2 my Nightmare is quite interesting).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Many of the names that have been listed so far are rock artists, not pop artists. In fact, Elvis is even called "The King of Rock and Roll."

My favorite 5 would likely include Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift and Carly Rae Jepsen. The remaining 2 slots are harder to decide. Maybe I'd include Madonna just because I grew up in the 80s and she makes me nostalgic.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Pop is always a messy definition for me. There are a bunch of names in here that I associate more with rock than pop like Springsteen, Young, Springfield, Elvis (rock 'n roll), and then other genres like Cash and country. Pop is tough to define to me but I just know what it is to me when I hear it. Bowie is pop to me, McCartney is pop. Maybe it's like less reliance on strings and more synths or electronic undertones in a lot more of their songs, I'm not sure.

And then you get to someone like Thom Yorke who is really heavy on synths, and I'd define his solo work as more alternative or experimental than pop. I think there's an element of catchiness that matters to me.

A lot of indie rock music could get categorized into pop as well but I don't do that. And then something like Motown, I categorize in its own genre in a way, even though that would technically be pop.

Anyways, here are some artists lol:

David Bowie - He's the king of pop to me. I don't know anyone else that has as vast of a collection of infectious music as he does. Just so many amazing hits. A lot of the time pop is more about individual songs for me, but he made me care about albums as a whole as well.

Peter Gabriel - I like some of Collins stuff, but his voice has always put me off for whatever reason. Gabriel has quite a few songs that I'll just routinely throw on like Sledgehammer, Solsbury Hill, Games without Frontiers, etc.

Damon Albarn - He's tough to pin down to a genre (it can alternate between rock and hip-hop depending on what he's working on), but his versatility is what I like so much about him. He's a musical genius IMO and has such a knack for finding different people to work with, often times not making himself the focal point, but pulling the strings out of sight.

Charli XCX - I really like how her sound has evolved over the years. She has a lot of stuff from years ago that would reach the top of the charts and was really enjoyable, but has changed her sound to be much more glitchy and experimental, and also has a lot of stuff that is more retro-sounding. Another artist that I can enjoy albums as a whole rather than just songs.

Kim Petras - Kind of an offshoot from Charli XCX for me as I found her on one of her features. Heavily inspired by 80s synthpop, which has always been my favorite brand of pop. There's nothing groundbreaking but her music is incredibly consistent, catchy and easily digestible (in a good way).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad