Your top 30 players from the 2006 draft!

Bam Beet*

In terms of RAW talent Nigel Williams should be there even though he was drafted in the second round. He has tremendous potential but there is a knock on his hockey sense.

leafaholix*

In terms of RAW talent Nigel Williams should be there even though he was drafted in the second round. He has tremendous potential but there is a knock on his hockey sense.

not RAW talent, because then the john doherty's of this draft would crack the top 30. i mean, talent... skill, vision, hockey sense, everything considered.

Randall Graves*

Who do you think are the best 30 TALENTS in the recent draft?

Clearly a guy that was drafted based on size shouldn't make this list.
"talents" there have been oodles of talented players that were boneheads that never amounted to squat.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Nigel Williams and Wes Oneil seem to be the same person. They may come back to bite someone in the butt. Although they would never realize they did.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Frolik and Kessel. Williams has the potential to be the second best Dman from this draft, in terms of physical talent he is top ten for sure.
Some of the russian guys talent wise should be up there.

culee

Apr 19, 2006
Michael Grabner is pretty good
scored like 30 goals in 31 games
pure goal scorer

AgentNaslund*

Definitely one of the better skilled players and a great skater. Vasyunov, Frolik, Kessel, Grabner etc... all are highly skilled players, the list goes on and on and on.

the list goes on, but it was still considered a weaker draft year.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
in term of talent carle is better of many defenseman in the fisrt round , i think summer,mitera ...

You mean the same Carle that is fat, out of shape, needs a fire to be consistently lit under his backside to perform? Come on and quit being a homer because he was drafted by the Canadiens. Carle is lazy and never plays up to his abilities. That's what's really sad about him. Million dollar skill, ten cent work ethic. He's like the Pavel Brendl of defensemen......

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
You mean the same Carle that is fat, out of shape, needs a fire to be consistently lit under his backside to perform? Come on and quit being a homer because he was drafted by the Canadiens. Carle is lazy and never plays up to his abilities. That's what's really sad about him. Million dollar skill, ten cent work ethic. He's like the Pavel Brendl of defensemen......

:shakehead the guy was in a hell of shape at the draft combine ... :shakehead

and even if he was out of shape , he is very good to put a point per game as a defenseman at 18 ....

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Belle doesn't come close to Carle in terms of hockey sense and passing ability.

If this guy,Carle, isn't even close to Belle in terms of sense and passing and he is close with Belle in terms of physical abilities there was NO WAY for him to be selected lower than with 5th overall pick but somehow even Habs prefered 2 players over him :dunno:

Last edited:

Papa_Bear_21

Aug 2, 2005
If this guy,Carle, isn't even close to Belle in terms of sense and passing and he is close with Belle in terms of physical abilities there was NO WAY for him to be selected lower than with 5th overall pick but somehow even Habs prefered 2 players over him :dunno:

your comment is not totally accurate as if it were that simple, there's no way Patrice Bergeron would have lasted to the middle of the second round.

I haven't seen belle play, and it was only a dev camp, but saw Carle over the week-end and he has skills. It doesn't mean that he'll be in the top 5 d-men out of this draft, but if we're talking skillset, he has very good skills.

turnbuckle*

Ah...another internet myth has been born. Funny how the opinions of a couple of people around here can suddenly become truths. Carle was by all accounts exceptional at the recent Habs development camp...you know...where you have to work hard.

I get a kick out of the "never playing up to his abilities" comment on the play of an 18-year-old, as if it's way too late for the kid - he's a bust, yet all I've read about him since the draft from Timmins and others is that he's not out of shape at all, and that his work ethic and performance are fine. 69 points in 67 games in his draft year is pretty stellar for a defenceman.

Carle was drafted 14th overall in his junior draft year....what .... do defenceman taken late in the first round of the Quebec draft usually score two point per game in their NHL draft year as opposed to a mere one?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
I never said he was a physical specimen like Belle, but Carle has good skills. Perhaps so good is doesnt try his hardest. I dont know much about him but i like the reports i got from him, Jon Prescription how many times have you even seen him play?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Report on Mathieu Carle....

Talk directly to Timmins himself for 45 minutes at the development camp and one pick I was totally against, with what I thought I knew mainly from Internet boards, was the Carle's pick because of the ''supposed'' bad work ethic, and supposed'' out of shape form......

Well from Timmins himself, this might have been true......when he played in MIDGET......Since in the middle of his last year in Midget, he understood than he wouldn't make it in talent alone and decided to take care of himself. Since then, he did nothing more than to have the best work ethic and being in the best shape of his life. Timmins said that he has no idea where those misconceptions come from, cause if people are talking about the Carle of today, well they're totally wrong. He went to meet his family, met all his brothers, seems that all those guys are in incredible shape as well, so it seems to be really important in the family.

Having said, we all know it's just a development camp but out of the 2006 picks, with Fischer, he's the one who impressed me the most, and I've been there every single day for 6 days in a row. He showed me our mature his game is, working his butt off every single day, not taking a minute off and even played good defensively which, if you absolutely need to find something negative about him, would be his downside and not him being out of shape or anything false like that. And obviously showed me a LOT offensively with his incredible hands and sharp passes....

Anyway, even if he had been like that, since when being out of shape is that much of a problem. Seen Steve Bernier play last year??? Have you ask the Atlanta Trashers' fans about Bourret's play in the development camp???? Both of these guys didn't have the greatest work ethic and now that they smell the bigs, they're not dumb enough to let this occasion pass by and take the matter in their own hands.

And Carle, didn't even took 5 minutes off in this whole week, so with what I've heard from Timmins, who's Mr. Great Shape himself, and what I've seen myself, makes me think that Carle is totally a different player than the one who was wrongfully displayed in this and all the other boards.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad