Your top 3 Propsects Now.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
After the prospects tournament, training camp and half of the preseason, how do you rank the prospects now.
I am pretty sure if we did our prospect rankings now, they would be quite different.

I will tabulate the results
3 points for 1
2 for 2
1 for 3

1 Seider
2 Veleno
3 Zadina

(I watched a Drummondville - Halifax playoff game last year and Veleno and McIsaac played a lot and it seemed the Halifax coaching was trying to match up McIsaac on Veleno and McIsaac won)

Christien

May 1, 2010
Same as you:
1. Seider
2. Veleno
3. Zadina

The third spot is super close between McIsaac and Zadina for me. I think Zadina just needs more time, we've got to keep being patient with him.

Reactions: Konnan511

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm starting to come down on Zadina after this preseason, and I've been one of his biggest supporters for a while now. He's certainly going to be a good player and is doing his best to create plays, and has even looked real good at times, but if he can't produce much in the preseason he isn't quite NHL ready yet. I still think he has a good chance of being a 30 goal scorer, but 40 is looking less likely. Veleno and Seider are above him due to positional importance, NHL readiness, and demonstrating they have a more complete, robust game.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've been touting JV since last year as the superior player, but admittedly I thought he & Zadina were closer, this preseason & tourney is showing a bigger gap b/w the two.

Seider
Veleno
Zadina
Ras
Svech

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm moving Veleno and Seider up and Zadina down, but he's still our #1 prospect IMO. His shot can be a weapon and he is so creative. He's mostly played poorly this preseason, and honestly he hasn't lived up to expectations thus far. If everyone continues their current levels of play this will change, but
1. Zadina
2. Seider
3. Veleno

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm moving Veleno and Seider up and Zadina down, but he's still our #1 prospect IMO. His shot can be a weapon and he is so creative. He's mostly played poorly this preseason, and honestly he hasn't lived up to expectations thus far. If everyone continues their current levels of play this will change, but
1. Zadina
2. Seider
3. Veleno

His shot is the most concerning part of his game.
It was supposed to be a strength. And it's not.

I'm reading my McKeen's pre-draft scouting write-up right now, and I'm thinking of canceling my sub. Hockeysfuture fanboy/bloggers could have written that shit.
They embellished his skating/shooting so much, I'm not even sure how I can take them seriously.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Top 2 stay the same:

1. Seider
2. Veleno
3. Hirose

A few more added viewings of Zadina are enough to just stop taking other people's word for it. He just ain't very good. And I have't seen enough of McIsaac to put him the top 3; I still have defenseman PTSD from Sproul/Oullett/Backman/Marchenko/Smith

Remember how Ras tore it up in preseason last year? We shouldn't read too much into a couple preseason games.
Annnnd Ras is well on his way to having a very good NHL career?

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Veleno, Zadina, Seider

I can't quite understand the rapid anointing of Seider, simply because there are so many people criticizing Zadina for having an average season in the AHL as a teenager, and the same people are almost concluding that the same won't happen to Seider. The talent that Zadina has is enough to keep him above Seider until I can have a real sample size of exposure and see how Seider adapts and performs with a set role for more than 3-4 preseason games.

That being said, I've always held Veleno in high regard, and close to Zadina in terms of value; seeing the overall preparedness he came with in camp this year, I flipped those two. If you asked me which young forward in our system I think is best prepared to play in the NHL this season, it would be Veleno without hesitation. I'd take Veleno over Zadina, Hirose, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, all of them. I think the talent has been undersold in the public's eye through draft scouting reports, and while playing a mature enough game to be useful down the lineup, I believe he has the ability to push the top 6 with time.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Seider
Zadina
Veleno

I don't think it is a rapid anointing of Seider, but realization this kid has huge potential. Zadina has great potential, but the last year suggests he may not reach that level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retroglyphs

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Veleno
Seider
McIsaac

3rd spot is really a crap shoot but I didn't like the Zadina pick then and I don't like it even more now. His shot is way overrated. I just don't see him hitting anywhere close to what his "potential" was. I really hope I have to eat my words though

Reactions: izlez

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Veleno, Zadina, Seider

I can't quite understand the rapid anointing of Seider, simply because there are so many people criticizing Zadina for having an average season in the AHL as a teenager, and the same people are almost concluding that the same won't happen to Seider. The talent that Zadina has is enough to keep him above Seider until I can have a real sample size of exposure and see how Seider adapts and performs with a set role for more than 3-4 preseason games.

That being said, I've always held Veleno in high regard, and close to Zadina in terms of value; seeing the overall preparedness he came with in camp this year, I flipped those two. If you asked me which young forward in our system I think is best prepared to play in the NHL this season, it would be Veleno without hesitation. I'd take Veleno over Zadina, Hirose, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, all of them. I think the talent has been undersold in the public's eye through draft scouting reports, and while playing a mature enough game to be useful down the lineup, I believe he has the ability to push the top 6 with time.

The "rapid annointing" of Seider is less a function of criticism(and rightfully earned) of Zadina and more that from development camp through the pre-season the kid has just looked so god damn good. His skating, his hockey IQ, his gap control, his breakout passes, his eagerness to join the rush, the kid looks good. Having an 18 year old dman of his potential is so much more important to the future success of this franchise than a dynamic scoring winger is right now.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
:laugh:

I hope for their sakes all the people in this thread with Veleno over Zadina had it that way over the offseason and aren't actually changing their opinion on where those two rank based on like 2 preseason games

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
:laugh:

I hope for their sakes all the people in this thread with Veleno over Zadina had it that way over the offseason and aren't actually changing their opinion on where those two rank based on like 2 preseason games
5 preseasons games, a prospects camp, a prospects tournament and training camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->