Your top 10 playoff performers of all-time

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
How do you figure that? At least to me, Gretzky was much stronger in the post season than Lemieux. Aside from winning twice as many cups, he also took his team to two other finals appearances (so 3x as many cup runs in total). He had some very strong runs later in his career after his prime years were gone, he had some good runs early before his team became strong as well (particularly against the Habs in their 3-0 sweep). His defence wasn't that bad either, IMO. Not saying he was Selke quality, but he wasn't as bad as many make him out to be.

And, unlike Lemieux, Gretzky has all the records to back this up. You can make the argument he had a better team for longer, but he also accomplished more with it. And when he got traded, he still had some pretty decent success, considering he was in the 2nd decade of his career. Many players are just passengers on their cup runs at that stage, not scoring 40 points in the playoffs more than a dozen years into their careers.

Cups are won by teams and Gretzky's team were better than Mario's. Hell, they may have been better than any team ever.

His defense was better in the playoffs, but so was Mario's. Neither did much of it, though.

Gretzky has the highest PPG in the playoffs, but Mario is 2nd. And Mario has the highest Goals Per Game in the playoffs.

Not saying Mario is better in the playoffs. Just saying its closer than Hardyvan thinks it is.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Not saying Mario is better in the playoffs. Just saying its closer than Hardyvan thinks it is.

Its a clever ploy to set up a debate whereby he can start waxing poetic about Fedorov (overrated) and his defense (overrated).

He's on record as suggesting Fedorov's two-way game and (overrated) streak of 20-point ayoff runs is more valuable than Lemieux.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Its a clever ploy to set up a debate whereby he can start waxing poetic about Fedorov (overrated) and his defense (overrated).

He's on record as suggesting Fedorov's two-way game and (overrated) streak of 20-point ayoff runs is more valuable than Lemieux.

Yes and I'll stand by that comment as I was talking about the worth of each player in the 90's.

Mario simply couldn't contribute if he wasn't playing and feds did more to help his team win in the 90's than Mario did.

Feds and his two way play both in the regular season and playoffs has more value than Mario in the 90's, Feds played in 672 actual games while Mario played in 318.

You can argue all you want that Mario was more valuable, or better overall, but it's going to be pretty weak IMO.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Yes and I'll stand by that comment as I was talking about the worth of each player in the 90's.

Mario simply couldn't contribute if he wasn't playing and feds did more to help his team win in the 90's than Mario did.

Feds and his two way play both in the regular season and playoffs has more value than Mario in the 90's, Feds played in 672 actual games while Mario played in 318.

You can argue all you want that Mario was more valuable, or better overall, but it's going to be pretty weak IMO.

Mario Lemieux played 417 games in the 1990s.
Sergei Fedorov played 756 games in the 1990s.

Fred Taylor

The Cyclone
Sep 20, 2011
Anyway you slice it, Lemieux was just much better than Fedorov. In the 90's, and in the playoffs in general.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Either way, using 91-00 or 90-99 Feds just has too many more two way games to make up the offensive peak of Mario.

I used the actual 1990s, and no amount of GP will make Sergei Fedorov a better player than Mario Lemieux. For instance, Lemieux's two Conn Smythes saw him score just 6 points fewer than Fedorov did in his highly touted four consecutive playoffs.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I used the actual 1990s, and no amount of GP will make Sergei Fedorov a better player than Mario Lemieux. For instance, Lemieux's two Conn Smythes saw him score just 6 points fewer than Fedorov did in his highly touted four consecutive playoffs.

So you used jan1, 1990-Dec31st, 1999?

Yes it's not surprising that Mario scored that high of a rate in those two CS years compared to Feds 4 year run of 20 or more points.

Feds was after all more than just scoring out there but in an era where prevention was as, if not more, important as scoring, his value can't just be measured in points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad