Your top 10 of the season

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Since we're now a week after completing what was one of the funnest and most memorable seasons this franchise has ever had I'd like to share my favorite moments of the season. You guys can name as many as you want but I'll do 10.

HM:
Games 1 and 2 vs Washington. Finally seeing our guys play playoff Hockey again even though they lost both games.

The preseason. You guys may laugh, but watching the squad dominate Nashville and Tampa, I had a feeling that the upcoming season was going to be different. It wasn't going to be the same old Canes.

Defeating the Flyers on NYE. Didn't know it at the time but that win helped springboard the turn-around.

The Basketball storm surge. The baseball one too was fun.

The Nino for Rask trade. 10/10 would do again.

In order:
10. Don Cherry calling the team "Jerks". For once, the team was getting some attention for something other than relocation rumors, ownership questions, and "lol they can't draw move them to Quebec". They had an identity, a bond with their fans, and they embraced the non-traditional way of doing things. And best part, it was all free publicity thanks to a wacky-wearing suit analyst.

9. 8-5 win vs. Rangers. Feeding off the preseason, I could sense this season had potential to be special after this night. It was similar to that 8-6 win vs Philadelphia in 2005. It was also Svechnikovs first goal and the beginning of the storm surge.

8. Finally ending the MSG curse. Nothing else needs to be said. They slayed the dragon.

7. Whalers night. I was skeptical of this but it turned out to be fun watching them honor their roots and beat who used to be their geographical rival.

6. Beating Montreal in late March. Down 1-0 late TvR scores what may have been the season-saving goal, tying the game and securing a point against a MTL team we were battling with in the standings. I knew that night they were going to clinch.

5. Beating St. Louis and Florida back-t0-back nights in early March. In years past this team would have dropped both of these games in heart-breaking fashion. Instead, they held down the fort against the eventual WC champs and survived a wild game against a Florida team that this team tends to struggle against. I had that feeling they were going to do it after these two games. Also who can forget the storm surge with Evander Holyfield? Awesome stuff :yo:

4. Games 3 and 4 vs. Washington, finally experiencing home playoff games, the atmosphere, the tailgating, the victories, it was all good.

3. The entire NYI series. First ever 4-game sweep in franchise history. The excitement of Carolina Hurricanes playoff hockey taken to another level.

2. Beating the NJ Devils to secure a playoff spot. Finally exorcised that demon, there wasn't going to be no win-and-in heartbreak like in years past. I still have this game DVR'ed, will probably keep it for awhile.

1. Game 7 vs. Washington. Brock McGinn saving the season by knocking the puck away from the goal line with 2 minutes left and then knocking out the defending champs in Double OT. Being the team that scores the game-winning OT goal in game 7, there's nothing like it. For years, this franchise was tormented by the Capitals going back to them knocking our team out in 2008 on the last day of that season. It took 11 years, but the good guys finally got some revenge on Ovechkin and company.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
10. Maniscalco: "That moustache is really starting to look good!" Seabass: "No, it's not."

9. Staal goal that tied game 7 against Washington. The one that looked JUST like Eric's against the Devils 10 years ago. I knew we were going to win at that point and it was only a matter of time....there was too much magic in the air for it to go any other way.

8. TVR dunking. Was just perfect.

7. Seabass hat trick against Nashville

6. Svech scoring on Isles then jumping into/slapping the glass. It's one of those small things that gives me chill bumps every time I see it because the energy in the whole place was so off the charts.

5. Svech with the short side laser beating the Habs in OT after we had sucked out loud for all but the last 3-4 minutes of that game.

4. Playoff clinching game. I don't even remember who they played, I just remember getting chills

3. Foegele scoring like 15 seconds into the game

2. McGinn diving save against the Caps and then scoring to win the series

1. 5 minute standing ovation to end the season

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Not 10, and in no order

giphy.gif

McKegg is standing

Svech making Montreal his bitch twice. The first where he embarrassed Weber, then again where he just flat out beats Price in overtime

All those little plays Slavin makes

Aho and Teravainen becoming a threat on the penalty kill

Big cock Brock winning game 7

The Holyfield surge

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This team gave us too many moments to choose from. I'll give a couple where the games may have been mentioned, but not the moments. Mrazek's poke check in OT against Florida. Mrazek's on bench reaction when we made the playoffs. Winning in Denver with some huge saves in the third. The Western Canada swing before the break.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
10. Finally beating the Islanders. That is when I started to believe. Five game winning streak and beating a team the Canes had already outplayed and still lost.
9. Oct. 13 victory over Minnesota. Five game point streak and the first real hint of the future with Aho at 1C.
8. Nov. 21 game against Toronto with 29 shots in first period.
7. Holyfield KO'ing Martinook.
6. First home playoff game with win over Capitals.
5. Clinching playoff berth.
4. Eleven days in February (Feb. 5-16). Three shutouts in 7 games. Pesce/Faulk keep Crosby, McDavid, Benn/Seguin/Radulov from scoring.
3. January 23. The 2nd period against Vancouver is the best offensive period of the season led by Aho/TT/NN. Five goals could have easily been seven or eight. Ned with his first NHL win. A view of the future.
2. Limbo Storm Surge.
1. Brock McGinn keeps one out then knocks one in to win game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->