Your top 10 of 2018?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of Pillars of Eternity II mentions from my fellow PC nerds.

Did that game disappoint? I was thinking of picking it up in the last sale.
I hate IE games and its ilk, and I generally haven't liked an Obsidian game since... ever?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Props to all of you who managed to play 10+ games. I think I only touched Forza Horizon 4 this year.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm a little bit surprised at the lack of Pillars of Eternity II mentions from my fellow PC nerds.

I didn't mention it because I haven't played it yet. I haven't played the first PoE yet, either. I'm so behind on my backlog, especially when it comes to RPGs, since they take so long to complete. The few 2018 games that I broke with my backlog to play (like Subnautica and Kingcdom Come: Deliverance) weren't sequels to anything. I'm a stickler for playing things in order, so I'm not going to play PoE2 until I get around to PoE. Ask me in 5 years and I might be able to give you my thoughts on PoE2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Commander Clueless

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
In no particular order.

Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Jurassic World Evolution
NHL
Madden
NBA 2k19
Fire Pro Wrestling World
MLB the Show

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I didn't mention it because I haven't played it yet. I haven't play the first PoE, either. I'm so behind on my backlog, especially when it comes to RPGs, since they take so long to complete. The few 2018 games that I broke with my backlog to play (like Subnautica and Kingcdom Come: Deliverance) weren't sequels to anything. I'm a stickler for playing things in order, so I'm not going to play PoE2 until I get around to PoE. Ask me in 5 years and I might be able to give you my thoughts on PoE2.

I'm sort of in the same boat, but I keep buying new stuff anyway. :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I cannot wrap my head around why David Cage isn't considered more of a joke in the industry, and why his games are actually praised and celebrated. His games feel like something Tommy Wiseau would come up with.
Interested to know why you thought so negatively of the Octo.
Probably closer to ambivalence than outright dislike. Felt like a really by the numbers vanilla RPG trying to capitalize on nostalgia to me, rather than an actual attempt to make a great game the same way that the old games it's influenced by did. The way that character-separated stories resulted in party members who aren't being focused on behaving like zombies left a bad taste in my mouth, and I found the narrative completely uninteresting to begin with.

The visuals also rub me the wrong way. The idea of pixelated sprites on a 3D diorama-like plane is really really cool (and could potentially look amazing), but I think it only works if all three dimensions are actually pixelated (like Minecraft but with small enough blocks that you could actually make appealing visuals from them) rather than the smoothed out and blurred/bloomed (or whatever you call that filter) to death look. At that point, the pixelation adds nothing really, and just looks kinda dumb.

Gameplay was completely blegh.

I didn't actually get that far into it before tossing it aside, so take that with a grain of salt-- I just didn't care, ultimately.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Did that game disappoint? I was thinking of picking it up in the last sale.

It's fine, but Divinity 2 is far better.

That is the problem with CRPGs, the best one makes all the others feel like a waste of time. Variety is hard to come by in the genre. PoE 2 was a commercial disaster for a reason.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Interested to know why you thought so negatively of the Octo.

Octopath might be my biggest dissapointment this year. It has a ton of heart (and the soundtrack is probably my favourite this year, fantastic stuff) but it's mostly a chore to play. These kinds of games were great 20 years ago and used to ride their story and characters hard, Octopath's characters and story are simply not able to carry the game.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
In no particular order.

Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Jurassic World Evolution
NHL
Madden
NBA 2k19
Fire Pro Wrestling World
MLB the Show

I’m really interested in Fire Pro Wrestling. Is it on the PSN store? And can I download all the edits so I can just have my fantasy attitude/wcw/vintage wrestling game on PS4?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's fine, but Divinity 2 is far better.

That is the problem with CRPGs, the best one makes all the others feel like a waste of time. Variety is hard to come by in the genre. PoE 2 was a commercial disaster for a reason.

I haven't really played any of the modern ones yet, but I was eyeballing PoE2 for the nautical theme.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't really played any of the modern ones yet, but I was eyeballing PoE2 for the nautical theme.

In that case you should enjoy PoE 2 well enough. It is a direct sequel to the first one so you might want to read up on it.

I do recommend Divinity 2 over PoE 2 though, it is much better.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Octopath might be my biggest dissapointment this year. It has a ton of heart (and the soundtrack is probably my favourite this year, fantastic stuff) but it's mostly a chore to play. These kinds of games were great 20 years ago and used to ride their story and characters hard, Octopath's characters and story are simply not able to carry the game.
Yep, I thought it was mostly hype/gimmick/lip service/nostalgia with very little payoff to justify it, IMO. Kind of just felt like what a typical fan of classic RPGs would come up with if given the assets/resources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad