Your top 10 of 2018?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Looking at what's left to release this year, I feel pretty confident making up my top 10 list now. Figured I'd get the discussion started.

1) God of War - PS4

2) Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - X1

3) Monster Hunter: World - PS4

4) Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - PC

5) Frostpunk - PC

6) Moonlighter - PC

7) Far Cry 5 - X1

8) Red Dead Redemption 2 - X1

9) Call of Cthulu - PC

10) Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - PS4

Honorable mentions: Vampyr, House Flipper, Subnautica, Bomber Crew, Iconoclasts, Into the Breach

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Ordering things would be too much work just because there were a lot of games I liked that could probably all be within a coin flip of each other, so maybe just good games in chronological order for now...

Dragon Ball FighterZ
Monster Hunter: World
Shadow of the Colossus
Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]
Into the Breach
God of War
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
Octopath Traveler
Dead Cells
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Soul Calibur 6
Tetris Effect

Thing that's good but I didn't count because it's DLC: Destiny 2: Forsaken.
Things that seem good that I haven't played yet: Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza 6, Frostpunk, Dragon Quest XI, Yoku's Island Express, Spider-man, Hitman 2.
Thing that's not out yet but would be cool if it was good (but doesn't seem like it will be): Darksiders 3.

Great year for fighting games. Decent year overall, but nowhere close to last year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Here's everything I've sampled this year and my impressions of them.

1. Celeste - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
2. Into the Breach - 3.5 (Great)
3. Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - 3.5 (Great)
4. Tetris Effect - 3.0 (Very Good)
5. The Messenger - 2.5 (Good)
6. Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition - 2.5 (Good)

7. Sonic Mania Plus - 2.0 (Positive)
8. Shadow of the Colossus (Remake) - 2.0 (Positive)

9. Deltarune - 1.5 (Neutral)

10. Dragonball FighterZ - 1.0 (Negative)
11. Spiderman - 1.0 (Negative)
12. Octopath Traveler - 1.0 (Negative)
13. Megaman 11 - 1.0 (Negative)

14. Dead Cells - 1.0 (Negative)

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
2018 has been an absolutely awful year for my interests in gaming. Like one of the worst in memory. Even worse than the plague that was the x360 era where everything on PC was a crapo port.

The only release I played of any note that was an '18 game is Battletech and it was just okay.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Even though it came out in 2014, it was on WiiU and I never got around to playing it, my top game released in 2018 is Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze.

Then I'd have

Spider-Man
God of War
Dragon Quest XI
Red Dead Redemption 2

In that order for the rest of 2018 that I got to play and finish (not quite done DQXI though)

EDIT: no PC exclusive is surprising. Bad year for PC.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Definitely a particularly bad year for PC. Frostpunk was the only standout title for me.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Only really had a chance to play Red Dead and NHL 2019. Both have been enjoyable but a bit overrated.

Will definitely pick up Celeste, Dark Souls: Remastered, Dead Cells, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Monster Hunter: World when they are on sale for cheap.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Revised Post 2019 Catch-up Perioid :laugh:

1) God of War (PS4)

2) The Messenger (PC)

3) Red Dead Redemption II (XB1)

4) Spider-Man (PS4)

5) Celeste (PC)

6) Frostpunk (PC)

7) Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (PC)

8) Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PC)

9) Into the Breach (PC)

10) The Council (PC)

Honourable Mentions:

-World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth (decent expansion)

Dishonourable Mentions:

-Monster Hunter World
-Battlefield V (Started as an honourable mention after the beta, but half of the features of the released game are missing).

Far and away the best games I played this year were the Persona games, but they weren't released this year.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I thought this year was awful for games. I would probably rank my top 5 in the following order:

1 - Hitman 2 (still in progress but I don't see it ending so badly that it would lower my rank, you don't really play these for the story so unless the final two missions are awful, this will probably be my game of the year)
2 - Valkyria Chronicles 4
3 - Wreckfest
4 - Vampyr
5 - Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Honorable Mention:

Dead Cells

Overrated Game of the Year for me:

Celeste

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Only really had a chance to play Red Dead and NHL 2019. Both have been enjoyable but a bit overrated.

Will definitely pick up Celeste, Dark Souls: Remastered, Dead Cells, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Monster Hunter: World when they are on sale for cheap.
I'm really going to need to pick up Celeste apparently.
I couldn't recommend it enough. Call me crazy, but I would legitimately argue that it's one of the strongest pure platformers of all time, right up there with Super Mario World and superior to most SNES era platformers that are considered classics.

• the controls are inherently tight, satisfying, and addictive
  • the mechanics are deceptively simple, clever, and intuitive while oozing richness and complexity if you look for it
  • the sprite-work, animation, and music are flawless/infectious/inspired
  • the level design, bonus advanced level design, and placement/breakdown of secrets and collectibles is absolutely clinical
  • its balance of challenge, accessibility, learning curve, frustration, rewarding improvement, and gameplay-enhancing storytelling is perfectly considered.

The moment I finished it, I felt an immediate compulsion to run through it again with a speed-runner's mentality (even though I've never speed-run anything). It doesn't completely re-invent the wheel or anything, but it just completely nails the magic of platforming in a way that I've been wanting for decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I couldn't recommend it enough. Call me crazy, but I would legitimately argue that it's one of the strongest pure platformers of all time, right up there with Super Mario World and superior to most SNES era platformers that are considered classics.

• the mechanics are deceptively simple, clever, and intuitive while oozing richness and complexity if you look for it
  • the level design, bonus advanced level design, and placement/breakdown of secrets and collectibles is absolutely clinical
  • its balance of challenge, accessibility, learning curve, frustration, rewarding improvement, and gameplay-enhancing storytelling is perfectly considered.

The moment I finished it, I felt an immediate compulsion to run through it again with a speed-runner's mentality (even though I've never speed-run anything). It doesn't completely re-invent the wheel or anything, but it just completely nails the magic of platforming in a way that I've been wanting for decades.

I was honestly surprised to see it in the nominations for the Game Awards.

I'll definitely give it a shot.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
- Destiny 2: Forsaken - One HELL of a DLC.
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Spider Man
- God of War
- PUBG (PS4)
-Far Cry 5 - Love this game.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It’s strange to hear other people’s impressions of this year because for me there has been a ton that has appealed to me. I’d consider it a pretty damn good year. I have yet to play God of War or AC: Odyssey which I think I will like both, but I also think Smash will be near the top of my list.

Right now Spider-Man is my GOTY. I’ve always loved Spider-Man and consider that a game I’ve waited 20 years for and it delivered in every way possible.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It’s strange to hear other people’s impressions of this year because for me there has been a ton that has appealed to me. I’d consider it a pretty damn good year. I have yet to play God of War or AC: Odyssey which I think I will like both, but I also think Smash will be near the top of my list.

Right now Spider-Man is my GOTY. I’ve always loved Spider-Man and consider that a game I’ve waited 20 years for and it delivered in every way possible.

A lot of us here do a lot of PC gaming and there is no way around it: 2018 sucked for PC in terms of exclusives.

Also 2017 was rather rock solid so a dip in enthusiasm is expected.

Reactions: Pilky01

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
1) God of War

2) Into the Breach

3) Forza Horizon 4

4) The Messenger

5) Red Dead Redemption 2

6) Marvel's Spider-Man

7) Dead Cells

8) Dragon Quest XI

9) Hitman 2

10) Octopath Traveler

HM:

Mario Tennis

Destiny 2: Forsaken (Because I kinda consider expansions differently than games... no doubt most of my time went to Destiny 2 this year)

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Soul Calibur 6

Burnout Paradise Remastered (I don't really consider remasters for GOTY, but this is still the best arcade racer ever made)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Some other indie stuff that I still want to play from this year: Obra Dinn and The Missing.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I'm neither a PC master race guy or an indie hipster. I only purchased four PS4 games this year, but I will include the two 2017 titles that I first played in 2018.

1) God of War - one of the smoothest, most polished experiences available with satisfying combat, excellent characters and a top notch story, it's my game of the year so far, A+.

2) Horizon: Zero Dawn (2017) - tremendous story lore and combat, Aloy is one of the best new characters in gaming, but character animation and writing is a tad weak. A.

3) Red Dead Redemption 2 - incomplete but trajecting well, but I don't see it passing God of War (I'm early into chapter four). Perhaps the most beautiful world created in gaming (on my base level 4 and crappy TV), tons to do, tremendous writing and characters...but ugh, the controls are dog shit, optional mission NPC characters flash on the screen for a second and then vanish (I still can't find that British guy looking for Gavin, and that obnoxious feminist in Saint Denis would have been fed to the bears by now if I could find her) and no fast travel hurts (at least make me invulnerable to enemies during cinematic camera rides, but then I hitch my horse and take a stagecoach and get there and whistle and get 'your horse is out of range', f*** off). It's an A.

4) Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - I reviewed it in the review thread. It does many things very well, a few things great and a few things poorly, nor is it as memorable as VIII: JOTCK, its immediate spiritual predecessor. B+.

5) Assassin's Creed: Origins (2017) - Egypt is gorgeous and Bayek is a bad, bad man, but they needed to throw more money at side characters and quests and the last mission comes close to ruining the game. B.

6) Monster Hunter: World - I mean I guess some of the monsters are cool, but graphically it looks like a PS3 game, and killing the same damn monsters over and over again to farm their parts ('Yay! Just one more Diablos testicle and I can upgrade my armor!' *spend 25 minutes finding and killing Diablos, no testicle drop*) gets old quickly. C.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
A lot of us here do a lot of PC gaming and there is no way around it: 2018 sucked for PC in terms of exclusives.

Also 2017 was rather rock solid so a dip in enthusiasm is expected.

I think the PC and Xbox crowd both didn't get much quality volume this year, exclusive or cross-platform.

PlayStation and Nintendo did pretty good.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't played even 10 games from this year, much less enough to make a top 10 list. I don't know how some of you do it.

It may've been a light year for PC, as some have noted, but it doesn't feel like it to me because three 2018 titles have been the most engrossing games that I've played in years.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Subnautica yet, though maybe that's because it was released in January and was available in early access for a few years prior. That would get my Game of the Year vote. It's not just a perfect survival game, but unique in its underwater setting. Ah, I see that it comes to XB1 and PS4 on December 4th. Maybe that'll help it make a lot of lists before the year ends.

The next game is Into the Breach, a turn-based strategy game from the makers of FTL that's a cross between XCOM and chess. It's more of a niche game that appeals to my love of strategy and puzzle solving, but oh how it scratches both itches perfectly.

The last game is Two Point Hospital. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect spiritual successor to Theme Hospital. It came out months ago and I'm still playing it. It says something that I hate hospitals yet love this game.

Those games are three of the most superb games that I've played in years, so, even if not much else has come out for PC this year, it still feels like a good year to me.

Last edited:

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Is God of War really that good? Because I was choosing between that, Last of Us Remastered, and Monster Hunter: World. I ended up buying Last of Us Remastered.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Well, I picked it up on the Steam sale.

I'm only half an hour or so in, but I'm really liking it so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->