Your top 10 International Teams

toastman344*

Nothing except the referees, rules, home ice...

Which u Euros have had in ur so called World Champs ...100 years running...Just another weak kneed Euro excuse...

U Euros ( Zine, Bourcicaut etc.) claim ur not making excuses for past failures...then u proceed to totally discount all our CC/W-Cup successes...What Total Hypocrisy !

ur IIHF refs historically have been of much lower quality than our pros...But refs aren't the reason one team or another tends to win or lose ( cuz refs tend to screw up on both sides of the ledger )...Unless of course... ur a total Moron and buy into that Fetisov et al. 02 ' Conspiracy Crap' ...Many Russians ( when they lose ) see conspiracies under every rock...and wait for it...2010 will be no different !

For the record...refs etc weren't the reason we won all those Canada CUPs ...Our guys were simply better...

Also having ' ONE !!!!' OG on small Ice...shouldn't spell The Enda Da World for All U EURO CHICKEN LITTLES ! :)

P.S. u Wanna Hold a World Cup In Europe On BIG ICE...BE MY GUEST !

toastman344*

I dare you. Name one instance, ONE, where Finland has played an entire best-on-best tourney at home. It has never happened. Same for Sweden. Same for the Czech Republic. Same for Slovakia. Soviet Union has played some best-on-best hockey at home

So have a Best on Best Tourney...and likewise Pony up the DOugh for the Competing Squads...Just Like the NHL does...Come On I dare U...Nobody IS STOPPIN U...So Quit Ur Prissy Euro Whinning ...

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
So have a Best on Best Tourney...and likewise Pony up the DOugh for the Competing Squads...Just Like the NHL does...Come On I dare U...Nobody IS STOPPIN U...So Quit Ur Prissy Euro Whinning ...

You'd do yourself a favor by not insulting people so much. I don't care but the mods may care.
And I'm not being a wiseass here, just giving a piece of advice seeing as you're relatively new here.

toastman344*

I apologise...although I've also been on the receiving end...ur objections remain valid...

CHEERS

espo*

I just want fans to stop bellyaching and making excuses and sit down and enjoy the games and let their teams play.

this location and rink size stuff is so darn passe and silly it isn't funny,it's an attitude relic from another time. Get with the times people,the players to their credit already have,it's the fans who are decades behind.

Let's play hockey.That's not a lot to ask.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I apologise...although I've also been on the receiving end...ur objections remain valid...

CHEERS

Being man enough to apologize is something that I respect...especially on internet boards where it's relatively rare. I guess I owe an apology as well. I can be annoyingly stubborn when it comes to certain issues. I'm a man of principle so I guess that explains a bit...rest assured, this 'quality' has gotten me into rather serious trouble many times in real life :)

So cyclops & bls, lets agree to disagree and no hard feelings, eh?

espo*

Being man enough to apologize is something that I respect...especially on internet boards where it's relatively rare. I guess I owe an apology as well. I can be annoyingly stubborn when it comes to certain issues. I'm a man of principle so I guess that explains a bit...rest assured, this 'quality' has gotten me into rather serious trouble many times in real life :)

No problem man. You're a good poster,i certainly don't always get your reasoning behind issues and don't agree with everything you say but you do know the game and you're always a good read.

Just don't let rink sizes and rink locations spoil your hockey watching experience,i never let it do that to me. Watched the young guys win gold at the juniors this year on the big ice in the Europeans home rinks and absolutely loved every second of it and watched Canada fail in my own backyard against the Russians in Halifax on the small ice a few years ago and still loved the games (while being crushed by the loss) Never let locations and rink size keep you from enjoying the game.variety is good and you will sooner or later learn how satisfying it is to win these things when it isn't on your home turf or on rinks that they don't use in your hometown. it should be looked upon as a challenge and a very exciting one by European teams,not as a handicap.............because the potential pay-off is just too big.

But you've gotta go out there and earn it!!,the fans and size of the rink won't do it for you,trust me. They won't do it for us either.

But the games are the same wherever i watch them and wherever they are played in this day and age.It's always the same things that win them or lose them for your favourite team no matter where or what size rink they are played on.You have to have a good team with great players,strong coaching,a nice game plan and have players buy into it,some timely scoring and good goaltending....especially now in these things where there is little time to truly prepare and it's a one game knock-out.These esentials NEVER change and i've watched enough hockey to know that. You'll see in Vancouver that it will be the difference between winning and losing for all clubs participating also,not rink size or the glee of fans from vancouver.Ice is ice and hockey is hockey. It's not like different playing surfaces of clay,grass and synthetic like in tennis.

enjoy the games,they are going to be tremendous and i'm confident the small rinks will be a big part of why they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
No problem man. You're a good poster,i certainly don't always get your reasoning behind issues and don't agree with everything you say but you do know the game and you're always a good read.

Just don't let rink sizes and rink locations spoil your hockey watching experience,i never let it do that to me. Watched the young guys win gold at the juniors this year on the big ice in the Europeans home rinks and absolutely loved every second of it and watched Canada fail in my own backyard against the Russians in Halifax on the small ice a few years ago and still loved the games (while being crushed by the loss) Never let locations and rink size keep you from enjoying the game.variety is good and you will sooner or later learn how satisfying it is to win these things when it isn't on your home turf or on rinks that they don't use in your hometown. it should be looked upon as a challenge and a very exciting one by European teams,not as a handicap.............because the potential pay-off is just too big.

But you've gotta go out there and earn it!!,the fans and size of the rink won't do it for you,trust me. They won't do it for us either.

But the games are the same wherever i watch them and wherever they are played in this day and age.It's always the same things that win them or lose them for you're favourite team no matter where or what size rink they are played on.You have to have a good team with great players,strong coaching,a nice game plan and have players buy into it,some timely scoring and good goaltending....especially now in these things where there is little time to truly prepare and it's a one game knock-out.These esentials NEVER change and i've watched enough hockey to know that. You'll see in Vancouver that it will be the difference between winning and losing for all clubs participating also,not rink size or the glee of fans from vancouver.

enjoy the games,they are going to be tremendous and i'm confident the small rinks will be a big part of why they are.

Thanks man. You know your hockey too.

Don't worry, I'll be watching the games regardless of rink size. If at all possible financially, I'll try to be in Vancouver to watch them live. That's the plan anyways.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
You're just scared. I'm not surprised
Of what?

Which u Euros have had in ur so called World Champs ...100 years running...Just another weak kneed Euro excuse...

U Euros ( Zine, Bourcicaut etc.) claim ur not making excuses for past failures...then u proceed to totally discount all our CC/W-Cup successes...What Total Hypocrisy !
One country always has the home advantage in every World Championships and referees from that country's league officiate almost all of the important games?

ur IIHF refs historically have been of much lower quality than our pros...But refs aren't the reason one team or another tends to win or lose ( cuz refs tend to screw up on both sides of the ledger )...Unless of course... ur a total Moron and buy into that Fetisov et al. 02 ' Conspiracy Crap'
No I think a moron is one who refuses to look at games carefully and see the obviously terrible and biased officiating that helped Canada win. Yes, the IIHF probably never had or will have a high quality pro referee like Koharski for example.

For the record...refs etc weren't the reason we won all those Canada CUPs ...Our guys were simply better.
Sure you were, again, keep telling yourself that.

espo*

So YMB29, does this last post mean that come 2010 you're going to put away the *****ing and just accept your teams and everybody elses results or is anything less then a Russian victory going to be an excuse for you to lay on the "unfair games" manifesto?

That's all i'm wondering about at this point.We've already been all through the rest before and nothings going to change on that front from where fans stand on it depending on how you see it .

Because all of this aforementioned stuff won't count for diddly come the next olympics.The only thing that will matter will be each teams performance. it's not 1972,1981 or 1987 or any other past tournament for that matter................that's all long gone.

valeri kharlamov,Slava Fetisov and Wayne and Mario won't be there playing any games to save us.Be forewarned every team and fan from every country entered,you best hope your team comes prepared to play ........not sook.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
The pressure on the Canadian team in the Vancouver tournament will be simply gigantic, especially considering the home soil, and the big failure at Turin.
I can't wait seriously. I know that Sweden only have been champs for one year, and it still taste good, but to see the canadian and the russian team in 2010, will be exiciting, some great talent will have reached their primes by then. :teach:

toastman344*

Boucicaut :
Nope ...None at all Suomi-Man...Peace-Out ! :)

No I think a moron is one who refuses to look at games carefully and see the obviously terrible and biased officiating that helped Canada win.

I think u've spent too much time listening to Putin-ese Propaganda/New-KGB-Speak there...Fetisov-ski :)...The way I recall 02 OG...was that the Yanks were out shooting ur sorry russian squad something like 3 or 4 to 1, in the first two periods of the semi's...and u were rather lucky to even make that game close...So don't blame the refs for that loss... u sorry/lame ex CCCP Conspira-putin-nique...come to think of it...u were damn lucky to beat the czechs in the qf's that year too...

Btw How's ur 2nd class loser of a junior team doin ? Silverado ? :)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Btw How's ur 2nd class loser of a junior team doin ? Silverado ? :)

Well, when the best Canada has to offer get shut out by Switzerland, Finland and Russia, looks like you guys are reduced to bragging about your youth teams.:biglaugh: ;)

On a serious note, welcome to the board BLS. I'll tell you that everything we're discussing (Canada cups, olympics, etc.) has already been talked about ad nauseum....you're adding nothing new. Everyone knows everybody else's position and nobody's gonna change their minds. The discussion usually just goes in circles and turns into one big p*ssing contest.
So for the sake of getting this thread back on topic, I'll follow Boucicaut's lead and end it here.

Alright, top 10 teams:

1. 1979 Soviet Union
2. 1976 Canada
3. 1980 United States
4t. 1987 Canada
4t. 1981 Soviet Union
6. 1996 United States
7. 1972 Canada
8. 1998 Czech Republic
9. 1972 Soviet Union
10. 1984 Canada

thoughts?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
For the tenth time: this was about best-on-best tourneys, not World Championship tourneys. Why do you keep dragging them into the discussion beats me.

Due to the 2005 Lockout, the Worlds that year were the best on best. That's the only reason I brought them up. Most years I agree that other than the Soviet and Czechoslovakian teams at these tournaments, the teams do not have the best players available from their countries.

toastman344*

Zine:
welcome to the board BLS.

Thank-U

Co-Zine :
looks like you guys are reduced to bragging about your youth teams.

Man we Love our U20's + the World Jr's...It's a much more popular tourney over here... than is the so called World C's, which we see as more of a Euro Tourney ... ( although its still great to win it ! )

From Our Perspective...It's a Pity U Euros don't embrace the WJHC's ...the way We Do Over Here...

CHEERS

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Zine:

Thank-U

Co-Zine :

Man we Love our U20's + the World Jr's...It's a much more popular tourney over here... than is the so called World C's, which we see as more of a Euro Tourney ... ( although its still great to win it ! )

From Our Perspective...It's a Pity U Euros don't embrace the WJHC's ...the way We Do Over Here...

CHEERS
U20's & world Jr's are not popular in the States. I live in Mass which is a hockey hot bed & you wouldn't even know they are going on.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
I think u've spent too much time listening to Putin-ese Propaganda/New-KGB-Speak there...Fetisov-ski :)...The way I recall 02 OG...was that the Yanks were out shooting ur sorry russian squad something like 3 or 4 to 1, in the first two periods of the semi's...and u were rather lucky to even make that game close...So don't blame the refs for that loss... u sorry/lame ex CCCP Conspira-putin-nique...come to think of it...u were damn lucky to beat the czechs in the qf's that year too...
I was not talking about 2002.

So YMB29, does this last post mean that come 2010 you're going to put away the *****ing and just accept your teams and everybody elses results or is anything less then a Russian victory going to be an excuse for you to lay on the "unfair games" manifesto?

That's all i'm wondering about at this point.We've already been all through the rest before and nothings going to change on that front from where fans stand on it depending on how you see it .

Because all of this aforementioned stuff won't count for diddly come the next olympics.The only thing that will matter will be each teams performance. it's not 1972,1981 or 1987 or any other past tournament for that matter................that's all long gone.

valeri kharlamov,Slava Fetisov and Wayne and Mario won't be there playing any games to save us.Be forewarned every team and fan from every country entered,you best hope your team comes prepared to play ........not sook.
I was not talking about the next Olympics either.

toastman344*

Pappyline:
U20's & world Jr's are not popular in the States. I live in Mass which is a hockey hot bed & you wouldn't even know they are going on.

Yup its sad...esp. considering Boston once hosted the tourney...However, more recently Grand Forks did a helluvalot better in terms of local support...so there's reason for optimism imo...

The World Juniors has an illustrious history...I believe it WOULD be Enthusiastically Embraced in Hockey Hotbeds Stateside...IF...it received the TV coverage and media attention it so richly deserves..U Yanks have missed out on some awesome Hockey over the decades !

Notably, the NCAA/ Team USA players Have Already Enthusiastically Embraced the WJC's , as has USAHOCKEY...

Erik Johnson, for instance, has instructed his agent to negotiate a deal with St Louis Blues stipulating that: They must release him for two weeks next Dec-Jan , so that he can help Team USA * cough cough* win a Gold Medal:)...ERIK LOVES THE WJ'S THAT MUCH !!!

I followed the World Juniors, going all the way back to the late 70's ...back when u could only catch it on CBC radio...back , when we only sent the Mem Cup champs, not a true National Team ...I can remember, for example, the St Kitt's FinCups , who won Silver circa 1978...Coached by Bert Templeton...featuring guys like Dale McCourt, Al Secord, Ric Seiling...That team was trailing CCCP smthg like 6-0 after first period, and stormed all the way back to lose 6-5...& were really buzzing the net for the equalizer near the end...

Templeton also coached our 1987 Jr Nats, who were disqualified after that infamous 'Piestany Punch Up' vs. the Russians...Theo Fleury and Brendan Shanahan were on that team...they were in a good position to win gold at the time...before the DQ that is...Our Boyz were winning 4-2 early in the 2nd , needing to win by ' 4' to endup in a dead heat for Gold, and ' 5 'to remove all doubt. That version of CCCP was a lackluster squad who were in 6th place and totally out of contention... Theo Fleury, our smallest guy , had scored 2 goals already, when 2 Russians jumped him...Our guys were outnumbered on the Ice, but the Russian's left their bench first...our guys followed...Templeton said he grabbed a couple of sweaters, to try to stop the troops , from storming onto the ice...No Dice...ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE ! :)

CHEERS

toastman344*

Fleury got jumped ...Yes...But ...He ended up in a fight with one of them ...& kicked his butt...That Russian never even landed one punch...Fleury was an excellent scrapper ...small, but fiesty & fearless , with a BIG HEART !

both benches emptied..Then Like fireworks...at least a half dozen brawls erupted, simulatneously...Soon as one stopped , another started...and it went on and on...

Not knowing how else to respond...The Czechs Turned OUt The LIGHTS ???

DQ=No Medal, for our Lads...Ah But Harold Ballard ( God Bless'em ) Had Real Gold Medals Made Up...& Gave one to ea. of our Boyz ! :)

Great Memories for The Canada-Russia Scrapbook Eh Ymb29 ???

VASHE ZDOROVIE !:)

espo*

I was not talking about 2002.

I was not talking about the next Olympics either.

So does that mean yes?

Seriousely,i want to know. In case we win 3 years from now, i have to have this in writing from a guy like you.

I personally don't think you can do it.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Alright, top 10 teams:

1. 1979 Soviet Union
2. 1976 Canada
3. 1980 United States
4t. 1987 Canada
4t. 1981 Soviet Union
6. 1996 United States
7. 1972 Canada
8. 1998 Czech Republic
9. 1972 Soviet Union
10. 1984 Canada

thoughts?

There is no way the 1980 U.S. team belongs on anyone's top 10 list. A good bunch of players, sure. A group that coalesced at the right time and played well. A team that played way over its head and deserved to win its tournament.

But it's a pretty tough argument to put them in a top-10. The Soviets plain old choked in their game against the U.S.

I'd also put the '87 Canada team from the Canada Cup at the top of any such list. Gretzky and Lemieux were near their peaks and they were surrounded by a pretty good supporting cast. Defence may have been a little weak, but it was a run-and-gun style of hockey.

I'd move that '98 Czech Republic team up a few notches. The '72 Canada and Soviet teams would probably be #9 and 10 respectively, and i'd probably drop the '76 team down a couple of places.

As well, I'd take the '80 U.S. team out altogether and replace with either the '02 Canada team or the '06 Sweden team. Neither would be in the top 3, but probably in the top 10.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Fleury got jumped ...Yes...But ...He ended up in a fight with one of them ...& kicked his butt...That Russian never even landed one punch...Fleury was an excellent scrapper ...small, but fiesty & fearless , with a BIG HEART !

both benches emptied..Then Like fireworks...at least a half dozen brawls erupted, simulatneously...Soon as one stopped , another started...and it went on and on...

Not knowing how else to respond...The Czechs Turned OUt The LIGHTS ???

DQ=No Medal, for our Lads...Ah But Harold Ballard ( God Bless'em ) Had Real Gold Medals Made Up...& Gave one to ea. of our Boyz ! :)

Great Memories for The Canada-Russia Scrapbook Eh Ymb29 ???

VASHE ZDOROVIE !:)
I can't tell who is Fleury in the fights, but I can be sure that he was not innocent in starting the brawl.

So does that mean yes?

Seriousely,i want to know. In case we win 3 years from now, i have to have this in writing from a guy like you.

I personally don't think you can do it.
If Canada wins fairly, why would I complain?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Is there a website that has the lists of international lineups from the past? My international knowledge is lacking, but form my limted exposure, I would put the 1987 Canada Cup team at #1, since they had Mario Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier, Hawerchuk, AND of course, Davey Poulin:yo: . However, I really don't know who was on the 1976 canada team, or any of the early 1980s Soviet teams. I'd also like to see the lineups of some of the late 90s Swedish, Czech and Finnish teams.

As an American, I would not put the 1980 team in the top ten. They congealed at the right time and played great, but I am almost positive they would lose to the soviets or canada in a 7 game series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->