Your Top 10 Captains of All Time

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I hate the equating of good captaining with captaining a Cup winner. There's some correlation, sure, but it's such a lazy way to determine who is the best captain, as if captains who are on bad teams or just less talented themselves weren't giving good enough locker room speeches or weren't "leading by example". I am certain that if you took a poll of who the best captains right now are you would get, in some order, Lidstrom, Toews, Crosby and Chara as the first 4 picks, and people will agree that Thornton or Sedin or Ovechkin or whoever else was a great captain if their teams happen to win it all. I fully agree with the people who said that we have no clue who the best captains are.

Enough player and insider anecdotes have come out to give a pretty good idea of the best leaders in hockey's history, though.

Fans believe Beliveau, Yzerman, Gretzky, Stevens, Clarke, Sakic, Lemieux, Messier are all good leaders and I doubt that is far from reality.

Fans nowadays would vote Iginla, Chara, Lidstrom, Toews and a healthy Crosby as top captains in the league right now - I have a hard time imagining that is far from the truth.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Chara? I have to question the leadership skills of a captain who allowed his team to blow a 3-0 series lead as well as a 3-0 lead in game 7. For this, I find it very difficult to call Chara a great captain.
I hate this mentality. The Red Wings, Avalanche and Devils had some pretty spectacular playoff collapses of their own. Was Steve Yzerman a terrible leader in 2003 after being a great leader in 2002 because his team got swept by the Ducks in round 1, and a terrible leader before '97? When the Devils lost in the first round to 2 #8 seeds in a row was Stevens being a bad captain? When Sakic lost that 3-1 series lead to the Wild, then had a very disappointing year in 2004 before captaining the dreaded 2006 Canadian Olympic Ice Hockey team, was he just done in terms of leadership skills?

Does the order of the losses between the Bruins and the Flyers in that series really matter? Is leadership really the concern there? Was he a fantastic leader in the first 3 games and then he just stopped leading? In Game 7, did he give a great pre-game spiel about having the heart of a champion and a warrior's mentality, sounding like Mel Gibson in Braveheart and then what, after that 3rd goal, he sounded like Mel Gibson angrily berating a cop while intoxicated?

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Although 2 of these are not Captains (if Lidstrom or Crosby ever retire) I think Datsyuk, Malkin, and Toews could become top 50 Captains. One expert considers them the top 3 players in the world right now. The original post in this topic where I think Gainey is the oldest player is ridiculous and does not belong here. It belongs in a post expansion section. Yes, there was NHL hockey played before 1973. :shakehead

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Although 2 of these are not Captains (if Lidstrom or Crosby ever retire) I think Datsyuk, Malkin, and Toews could become top 50 Captains. One expert considers them the top 3 players in the world right now. The original post in this topic where I think Gainey is the oldest player is ridiculous and does not belong here. It belongs in a post expansion section. Yes, there was NHL hockey played before 1973. :shakehead

As much as I love Dats, most doubt he will ever be captain. Not because he isn't capable, but because it is kind of well know he doesn't want it. Rumor has it he was pushed to take the "A". He also masks his ability to speak English as well as he can to avoid attention and interviews.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Chara is for sure well respected and probably the best current captain along with Lidstrom mainly becasue 1. he wins 2. he is great professional.

I have really hard times to put him anywhere historically, but he is certainly capable as a captain. He turned Bruins losing mentality franchise to SC winners (in locker-rooms and teammates sense, GM and coach have obviously some merits), this can't be taken from him. Chara is aging very well and he certainly will be the captain until his retirement in Boston. In 5 years he could easily be one of the best. Imagine how would change our opinions if he will win back-to-back cup as first captain in salary cap era.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
When Sakic lost that 3-1 series lead to the Wild, then had a very disappointing year in 2004

Which part of 2004 was very disappointing? The Lester B. Pearson nomination in the regular season or the part where he scored the Avalanche's only three goals (two of which were in overtime) in Games 4 and 5 against the Sharks to carry the team from 3-0 down to 3-2? :sarcasm:

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Which part of 2004 was very disappointing? The Lester B. Pearson nomination in the regular season or the part where he scored the Avalanche's only three goals (two of which were in overtime) in Games 4 and 5 against the Sharks to carry the team from 3-0 down to 3-2? :sarcasm:
I meant the Avalanche had a very disappointing year, being a pretty huge favourite to win the Cup at the start of the year and then losing the division for the first time since moving to Colorado and losing to what was, on paper, a much worse Sharks team.

And I'm not being serious, just illustrating how stupid getting on Chara for that is.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I hate this mentality. The Red Wings, Avalanche and Devils had some pretty spectacular playoff collapses of their own. Was Steve Yzerman a terrible leader in 2003 after being a great leader in 2002 because his team got swept by the Ducks in round 1, and a terrible leader before '97? When the Devils lost in the first round to 2 #8 seeds in a row was Stevens being a bad captain? When Sakic lost that 3-1 series lead to the Wild, then had a very disappointing year in 2004 before captaining the dreaded 2006 Canadian Olympic Ice Hockey team, was he just done in terms of leadership skills?

Does the order of the losses between the Bruins and the Flyers in that series really matter? Is leadership really the concern there? Was he a fantastic leader in the first 3 games and then he just stopped leading? In Game 7, did he give a great pre-game spiel about having the heart of a champion and a warrior's mentality, sounding like Mel Gibson in Braveheart and then what, after that 3rd goal, he sounded like Mel Gibson angrily berating a cop while intoxicated?

I was about to say the same thing. Many seem to be taking this captaincy thing too seriously. It takes a team to win, not one player. Similarly, many argue the same thing about players that have not won a SC. I don't see why Marcel Dionne should be criticized for not winning a cup. He gave everything he had to the Kings and likely made them the best they could be. Its not his fault that he played during an era of three consecutive dynasties, which happen to be 3 of the 5 best teams of all-time. To say he wasn't a good enough player or captain is a major oversight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad