OT: Your thoughts...

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
With the Jets making the WCF, what are your guys' feelings towards our team considering we should be exactly where they are.

Astute drafting, trading, and FA signings. They did not make any (major) boneheaded decisions when they got swept in 2015 to the Ducks. They kept on with their plan.

I don't have any faith in our management team to get us to where we need to be, and should be right now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They just drafted and developed well. That’s the foundation of everything. Chevy rarely even makes trades.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Myers and Armia for Kane and Bogosian actually.

The Jets will need to offload some contracts and I suspect they are seriously interested in retaining Stastny at a reasonable cap hit if at all possible. Enstrom is the only big ticket they lose this summer.

2018 off season: Helleybuck (RFA - 5-7M), Morrissey (RFA - 2-3M), Lowry (RFA - 1.75-2M)
2019 off season: Wheeler (UFA - 8M), Laine (RFA - 8M), Connor (RFA 5-6M), Myers (RFA 4.5M)

They have some interesting and movable contracts that teams like Edmonton should be all over.

Trouba, 2018 RFA, QO at 3.5M, RHD
B. Little (Edmonton native), 4.7M AAV, signed until 2021-22, plays C/RW
M. Perreault, 30 years old, 4M AAV, signed until 2020-21, plays LW/C

Would the Jets consider something like this:

Caleb Jones, Ryan Strome and EDM 1st Rnd 2019
for
Bryan Little and Jacob Trouba

Remember, this is a salary dump for the Jets. They save about 3.5-4.5M in the deal.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the same fans who post that we wasted connor's entry level contract window will come to this thread and talk about patience being the key.

The Jets are lucky that their location does not allow their GM to build any other way. No UFA is going to sign there in the last 10 years so he doesn't make any Lucic mistakes. Patience is the only possible route and having an educated fan base helps because they can suffer through a long rebuild process.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Well for the last number of years the Oilers have preferred to play 30 year old washed up NHL players (eg Ryan Hamilton) in key roles on the farm rather than playing the young guys. So yes, I'd rather do it the Jets way than the Oilers way. Never do it the Oilers way.... ever!

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
the same fans who post that we wasted connor's entry level contract window will come to this thread and talk about patience being the key.

The Jets are lucky that their location does not allow their GM to build any other way. No UFA is going to sign there in the last 10 years so he doesn't make any Lucic mistakes. Patience is the only possible route and having an educated fan base helps because they can suffer through a long rebuild process.

I think the point is the Jets haven't experienced a long rebuild process by Oilers standards and haven't experienced nearly as bad a club.

In 7 years they got to the Conference final and counting. I would take that over what has occurred here.

Heres something interesting too. Only one season where Jets have had a Bettman TM pts losing season. At least the club has been somewhat competitive. We had one season out of the last dozen like that.

This is the Jets record since returning to the Peg;

Primary team Thrashers/Winnipeg: 268-211-36-25 in these games.
Goals for Thrashers/Winnipeg: 1551
Goals against Thrashers/Winnipeg: 1550

This is the Oilers record same time period;

Primary team Edmonton: 218-259-34-29 in these games.
Goals for Edmonton: 1422
Goals against Edmonton: 1646

Keeping in mind as well that the Oilers had several top picks through this time period.

Any questions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tremor

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Drafting and developing with judicious trades is the only way to build a team. It takes patience. Winnipeg’s situation dictates they must follow this path and they’ve done a masterful job.

Oilers draft record the past 15years has been among the leagues worst. But hopefully we have turned a corner in that regard. Whether the team has organizational patience will remain to be seen.

Reactions: Aerrol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Jets are a stacked team where everyone is playing a notch below where they should be slotted. Everyone is pulling their weight and then some more.
They never threw their skilled players to the wolves. Ehlers is 22, Connor 21 and they are still being sheltered. Unlike Nuge\McDavid\Drai, Sheifele was sheltered by Little his first 3 yrs in the NHL letting him develop. Ehlers is a 2014 draftee and didnt make his mark til last year.

Instead of dumping away Enstrom, Wheeler, Little, Myers etc they spent a 1st and added Statsny.. That is the difference between a cap managing GM and winning GM.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You want to see the difference between the Oilers and Jets?

The Oilers had some potential to do some damage last year in the playoffs and Chiarelli picked up David Desharnais.

The Jets had that same potential and picked up Paul Statsny from a division rival.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
My thoughts are **** them and their happiness.

Without an unprecedented, impossible to predict career flip by Helleybuck, they'd be exactly where they were years before, bubble to bottom 10.
Let's not pretend they didn't get at least a significant douse of luck on the goaltending front.
Their big offseason move was signing Steve Mason as their number 1 don't forget.

I like their forward core and defense, but without the goalie transformation, they aren't where they are.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Do you think it's a coincidence they are going for it while Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey are all on ELCs?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
they draft and develop better than anyone in the league not named the TB Lightning

they simply don't miss on their 1st rounders (Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Connor) get a little luck (Laine) and find a couple of useful NHLers in later rounds (Lowry, Copp, Hellebuck)

yes, they had a decent foundation from Atlanta (their captain Wheeler, Byfuglien) but its namely great drafting

Reactions: PulYou

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Well for the last number of years the Oilers have preferred to play 30 year old washed up NHL players (eg Ryan Hamilton) in key roles on the farm rather than playing the young guys. So yes, I'd rather do it the Jets way than the Oilers way. Never do it the Oilers way.... ever!

I’ve never understood that strategy when the AHL is supposed to be a developmental league. Nelson was the only coach that played the prospects in key roles.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
they draft and develop better than anyone in the league not named the TB Lightning

they simply don't miss on their 1st rounders (Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Connor) get a little luck (Laine) and find a couple of useful NHLers in later rounds (Lowry, Copp, Hellebuck)

yes, they had a decent foundation from Atlanta (their captain Wheeler, Byfuglien) but its namely great drafting

We can say they same about our first round drafting. We haven’t had to many 1st round misses, it the other rounds that kill us. What’s killing us is our horrible pro scouting that goes back way before Chia to go without poor drafting from rounds 2-7.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We can say they same about our first round drafting. We haven’t had to many 1st round misses, it the other rounds that kill us. What’s killing us is our horrible pro scouting that goes back way before Chia to go without poor drafting from rounds 2-7.
ya, I've liked our drafting in the 1st round but they've been sunk with horrible trading beyond the 1st round
K. Gretzky's first draft last year has given me hope for the future though...Yamamoto, Skinner, Maksimov, Safin.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Gagner, Plante, Nash, Paajarvi, Yakupov and the 16th pick wasted on Reinhart. Six wasted first rounders in the last 11 years and Puljujarvi is inching into the conversation as well.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
The Jets are basically what the Oilers were last year. A team that has come together as a group and has a lot of guys bringing it every night and playing as a tight knit group. The Oilers should have been in the conference final last year if not robbed of 2 games by the officials. The Oilers had the ducks beat in 5 games as far as I'm concerned. The Oilers were a tight group last year and were fun to watch. Our coaches couldn't get this group to play as a team this season, unlike the Jets. I was really hoping for a coaching change this year. I'm not too confident that McLellan can create a great team atmosphere here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The Jets are basically what the Oilers were last year. A team that has come together as a group and has a lot of guys bringing it every night and playing as a tight knit group. The Oilers should have been in the conference final last year if not robbed of 2 games by the officials. The Oilers had the ducks beat in 5 games as far as I'm concerned. The Oilers were a tight group last year and were fun to watch. Our coaches couldn't get this group to play as a team this season, unlike the Jets. I was really hoping for a coaching change this year. I'm not too confident that McLellan can create a great team atmosphere here.

The key difference is the Jets talent>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the Oilers.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->