Your thoughts on Landeskog, Skinner, and Yakupov

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm looking for perceptions of 3 young wingers I don't hear compared to each other a lot despite being similar age of and similar draft pedigree:

Gabriel Landeskog, Jeff Skinner, and Nail Yakupov.

All 3 were born between 1992 & 1993.

Skinner has scored the most goals in an OHL season with 50, Yakupov had 49 (but 11 more assists), and Landeskog had 36 (but less assists than either).

Skinner has more NHL goals in a season (33) to Landeskog's (26) and Yakupov's (17).

Yakupov & Skinner have similar physical frames with Landeskog being a little bit larger.

From what I hear Yakupov & Skinner are considered "one-way" wingers while Landeskog is considered to have a better two-way game. Skinner is probably the best skater of the 3 but is also considered more "injury prone" due to the fact that he goes to the "dirty areas" or "doesn't keep his head up".

What I'm wondering is who you all think is the better player today? If these 3 were all drafted in the same year who would you have taken higher?

Which of these players has the better shot? Who is the better play-maker?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Today? Not Landeskog, he's been god awful this year. Doesn't even look like himself out there and is a lot weaker on his skates than ever before. Yak has the best shot, but he has a better shot than 99.9% of the NHL.

Ralphy*

If you asked me last year, I would have said Landeskog.
If you asked me years prior, I would have said Skinner.

I guess now I'll say Yakupov? I don't know. :laugh:

Jun 15, 2014
Skinner is really exciting, except he's literally one concussion away from retiring.

HOLDITHERE*

Skinner, easily.

Perhaps, if Yak ended up elsewhere, we'd be having a different discussion, but history isn't about could've or would've.

Thus, Skinner.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
skinner-high skilled inconsistent player who struggles to stay healthy at times. has ppg potential but needs to be more consistent.

yakapov-great skater and hands with a good shot but has struggled since the oilers have tried to get him to play a way he cant. He will either be an ok offence+defence player or ppg offence and bad defence

Landeskog-struggled early this year while playing through an injury but has turned it on of late. Elite defence and a very physical player with an underrated shot and playmaking ability. Good skater and a very good young leader. Potential is close to ppg with selke caliber defence

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Skinner is the best, the guy is just a fantastic skater and has hands.

Yakupov should be the best but I worry the Oiler's have stunted his growth.

If I had to take one now, I take Landeskog because Skinner is way too likely to get concussed into the next decade sooner rather than later. Too bad, the kid is a great player.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Love Yakupov but he's the least proven forsure. He has a long way to go.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I still take Landeskog tops. The HF 'what have you done this week?' mentality is ridiculous. Landeskog has had an underwhelming 30 games while the whole team looks like garbage. He's still the player I would covet most of these three.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
skinner-high skilled inconsistent player who struggles to stay healthy at times. has ppg potential but needs to be more consistent.

yakapov-great skater and hands with a good shot but has struggled since the oilers have tried to get him to play a way he cant. He will either be an ok offence+defence player or ppg offence and bad defence

Landeskog-struggled early this year while playing through an injury but has turned it on of late. Elite defence and a very physical player with an underrated shot and playmaking ability. Good skater and a very good young leader. Potential is close to ppg with selke caliber defence

You sure were generous on the Landeskog description.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Damn, Landeskog is underrated here :O

He's playing the worst hockey of his career and still producing more than the other 2 while being the more complete player by a lot.

As an Avs fan, I totally hate Landeskog to be honest. He's possibly our player I dislike the most. He's better than Skinner and Yakupov though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad