Your thoughts on Christian Ehrhoff

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Curious what you think about him so far this season, and over the course of his tenure with the team.

For better or worse, he doesn't get talked about. Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing considering his price tag - depends who you ask and when you ask them.

Offensive numbers are certainly not what they were upon his arrival here, but he's not usually a guy I find myself criticizing for boneheaded plays, lack of effort, or piss-poor defense. He's also not a guy I find myself saying "yeah, he's worth the $984B we're paying him". But I'm content with him.

What do you think? Overpriced but serviceable? One of the top two defensemen on a **** unit?

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I like Ehrhoff. I think his salary is fair. He's not perfect (but who is?) In the list of problems this team has, Ehrhoff isn't even on the list. The length of contract doesn't bother me in the least.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
My problem with Erhroff has nothing to do with him. As of now I'd say out 3 best defensemen (not right now but when they are playing well) are Erhroff, Myers, Sekera and all 3 play very similar styles in the defensive zone. I'd love to take 1 of the 3 and turn him into the equivalent physical stay at home guy. If I had to pick I'd chose Sekera. Erhroff has looked solid and he's one of the few on this roster with legit playoff experience. If the Sabres had a top pairing then Erhroff would be free to work the Ozone a little more than he is now.

Christian himself is gifted offensive defensman who doesn't play the end to end game. In Vancouver he would set up in soft spots and unleash that howitzer. Until we have a solid forechecking line to get the puck into a deep cycle and draw in the high coverage he won't ever get up to his career best in goals.

sivert

Apr 5, 2007
Kazan
He's our best defenseman by a mile. I never expected him to score 50 points in Ruff's system so I'm more than satisfied with his play for the Sabres.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I figured his offensive numbers would take a hit coming to Buffalo from Vancouver. Our powerplay is terrible and he collected 28 powerplay points in 2010-2011 on Vancouver, compared to only 11 for us last season. I had hoped he would help improve our powerplay, but it still just sucks, it sucks every year. He was actually on pace to score more even strength points last season for us than he did with the Canucks in 2010-2011.

So yeah..he is producing just as much offensively on ES as he was with Vancouver, he just can't rack up the PP points on Buffalo.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Ehrhoff really polished his defensive play over the last seasons and that's coming in handy in the current situation with the struggling d-corps.

I still don't know why Lindy is putting him with Leo on one line because Jordan for some reason thinks that he's the offensive d-man in that pairing and Ehrhoff is the guy who has to make sure to be back in his own zone when something goes wrong in the offensive zone. :sarcasm: There were several of examples where Ehrhoff was only guy in a 2 on 1. Concerning Ehrhoff-Leopold the role situation has to be vice versa imo. I really had the feeling that the Ehrhoff-Sulzer pairing was pretty close to :handclap:.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
#1 on the team, and has been the only one along with Sekera who I'd call steady over the last year+.

Has some spark to his game... But to me, he just seems like a player who thrives when surrounded by good players and a functioning team... Something not necessarily the case in Buffalo.

Easily worth his salary btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad