Your teams top 6 defensive prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

mooseOAK said:
I would swap D'Amour for Doherty at this point.
John Doherty is easily the most talented defenseman not named Carlo. The fact that he's moved over to the USHL and likely to transfer to another school should not diminish his stock as a prospect when it was clearly stated that he would be a project since day 1.

And many UNH fans were upset that Umile (coach) didn't play him more often, they felt he was more talented than any other defenseman, but I guess the coach prefered the experienced guys on the team... though Doherty did apparently have some brain farts, which could be attributed to not having played much.

Doherty's fallen out of the top 20 on HF.com, which is very wrong. He's a top 5 in talent.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
crossxcheck said:
Nashville:

I assume hamhuis doesn't qualify as a prospect...

1. Ryan Suter
2. Shea Weber
3. Kevin Klein
4. Richard Stehlik
5. Janne Niskala
6. Andrei Mukhachev

honorable mention: Andrew Hutchinson

yo dogg...Mukhachev is, per Poile "done like dinner." I don't think we take kindly to guys flaking out on us for two years in a row. He, literally, promised to be at training camp\Milwaukee's camp, and then...no-showed without warning. He later said he "changed his mind." Poile said, "so did we...about him"

I'd do it something like this:

1. Ryan Suter
2. Shea Weber
3. Kevin Klein
4. Richard Stehlik
5. Denis Kulyash

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
nomorekids said:
yo dogg...Mukhachev is, per Poile "done like dinner." I don't think we take kindly to guys flaking out on us for two years in a row. He, literally, promised to be at training camp\Milwaukee's camp, and then...no-showed without warning. He later said he "changed his mind." Poile said, "so did we...about him"

I'd do it something like this:

1. Ryan Suter
2. Shea Weber
3. Kevin Klein
4. Richard Stehlik
5. Denis Kulyash

you're right. then I'd put my #6 as hutchinson

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jason MacIsaac said:
I will do Chiacgo so we see all 10's

Anton Babchuk
Cam Barker
Brent Seabrook
James Wisniewski
Michal Barinka
Dustin Byfuglien

Potential: 9
Probability: 8.5
Depth: 9.5

The Caps:

Steve Eminger
Shaone Morrisonn
Mike Green
Nolan Yonkman(HES HEALTHY, PRAISE THE LORD!!)
Jakub Cutta
Oscar Hedman

Thats my top 6, but Schultz and Lepisto might be included by other caps fans.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My Pens list :
1- Whitney
2- Welch
3- Nemec
4- Goligoski
5- Bolf
6- Fernholm
HM : Bissonnette, Lupaschuk, Sersen, Schneider.

leafaholix*

MrMastodonFarm said:
I was speaking to another Leafs fan... regarding the defensemen in the system. Not all prospects, just the Leafs defensemen, and John Doherty has probably the best skill-set outside of Carlo Colaiacovo.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Captain Conservative said:
The Caps:

Steve Eminger
Shaone Morrisonn
Mike Green
Nolan Yonkman(HES HEALTHY, PRAISE THE LORD!!)
Jakub Cutta
Oscar Hedman

Not a big Caps fan but I'm definitely high on Lepisto and Schultz. If you rate those guys out of the top 6 then that's fine because you probably know more about guys like Cutta and Hedman than I do.

Potential:8/10
Probability: 8/10
Depth: 9/10

UWSaint

Dec 28, 2004
Wisconsin
On combination of potential and proven ability (my list for Vancouver):

(1) Koltsov
(2) Skinner
(3) Bieska
(4) Elder
(5) Mojzis
(6) Grot

I'd put this group at around 7 in potential, 5 in probability, and 4.5 in depth--in other words, pretty average. Bad news is that they are all more or less of the same mold (2 way potential PP QBs, lack plus strength). Good news is that, IMO, Skinner and Bieska are exceeding all expectations. Without their above-expectation play, this group would be pretty poor--particularly in the probablility category as Koltsov, Grot, Elder, and Mojzis are all risk/reward types.

mooseOAK*

Carl O'Steen said:
John Doherty is easily the most talented defenseman not named Carlo. The fact that he's moved over to the USHL and likely to transfer to another school should not diminish his stock as a prospect when it was clearly stated that he would be a project since day 1.

And many UNH fans were upset that Umile (coach) didn't play him more often, they felt he was more talented than any other defenseman, but I guess the coach prefered the experienced guys on the team... though Doherty did apparently have some brain farts, which could be attributed to not having played much.

Doherty's fallen out of the top 20 on HF.com, which is very wrong. He's a top 5 in talent.

Doherty's status as a prospect isn't diminished by what has happened but he still has to get to a higher level of competition and show that he can play there. There is a whole lot of work that has to be done after two wasted seasons in his career so far.

leafaholix*

mooseOAK said:
Doherty's status as a prospect isn't diminished by what has happened but he still has to get to a higher level of competition and show that he can play there. There is a whole lot of work that has to be done after two wasted seasons in his career so far.
Talent-wise he's a top prospect with the Leafs... for me, I'd have him just outside of #10. I am a huge booster of Dominic D'Amour, but the discrepancy in talent and potential is huge.

Neither of them are sure-fire NHL players... but one has a huge advantage in skills.

Vic Rattlehead*

JR#9 said:
NY Rangers

Tyutin
Kondratiev
Pock
Baranka
Lampman
Liffiton

8, 8, 7

Boston:

Mark Stuart
Lars Jonsson
Andrew Alberts
Milan Jurcina
Frank Rediker
Matt Hunwick

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
My Pens Top 10

1. Whitney
2. Welch
3. Bissonnette
4. Goligoski
5. Fernholm
6. Lupaschuck
7. Nemec
8. Malenkykh
9. Fata
10. Bolf

Last edited:

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
See Vancouver as

Skinner 7 5
Beiska 6 5
Mojsis 6 5
Koltsov 6 4
Edler 6 5
McIver 4 3

Give an overall 6 for potential and 5 for probablity. None of these guys is anything like a sure bet. Good thing the Canuck present defense is relatively young because there is little in the system. IMO Koltsov has bad attitude and is maybe too small. He has gone from a decent prospect to suspect. Skinner would seem at present to have highest upside. Beiska and Mojsis are having good AHL seasons.

I sure like the look of Nashville's future defense.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Dion Phaneuf
Tim Ramholt
Jonas Frogen
Richie Regehr
Adam Pardy
Mark Giordano

That's probably our top 6 although guys like Pierre Johnson, Jyri Martinen, Roman Rozakov, Jim Hakewill, etc could be considered. We just don't get a lot of news on them.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Sabres

The best defense is a good offense.

1. Thomas Vanek, LW

2. Derek Roy, C

3. Jason Pominville, RW

4. Drew Stafford, RW

5. Daniel Paille, LW

6. Clarke MacArthur, LW

;) :dunno: ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Andrew_11 said:
Not a big Caps fan but I'm definitely high on Lepisto and Schultz. If you rate those guys out of the top 6 then that's fine because you probably know more about guys like Cutta and Hedman than I do.

Potential:8/10
Probability: 8/10
Depth: 9/10

This seems a bit high to me, all around. If the Caps, who are currently ranked number 1 in prospects by HF, have a weakness it is defensemen which even the most ardent Caps fan would freely admit, and which HF comments on:

'Weaknesses: Defense is one area of concern for the Capitals. Beyond Steve Eminger and Shaone Morrisonn, there are a few that are surefire NHLers but most are years away from contributing'

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/orgrankings.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad