Your team's recent draft bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

No Bust thread is complete without mentioning Daigle.

Master Shake*

Craig Hiller- Couldnt put down bottle I understand. Had some issue with GP when he was coach.As did other players. Shame. He could have at least been a back up NHLer.
Chris Wells- Skating hurt him some and his offense didnt carry over. Played in the NHL a few years off and on.

Brian Gaffaney- Now that was a bust. Just quit hockey right in training camp his first pro season.

Robert Dome- Had alot of personal issues and the team didnt help him any. This guy is a mystery. He should be in the NHL scoring 25-30 goals a year. But hes not. I wouldnt call him a bust cause they knew he was a risk when they took him.

leafaholix*

Master Shake said:
Robert Dome- Had alot of personal issues and the team didnt help him any. This guy is a mystery. He should be in the NHL scoring 25-30 goals a year. But hes not. I wouldnt call him a bust cause they knew he was a risk when they took him.
I saw him in the SEL a month or so back and Dome looked like a superstar, unfortunately that lasted 30 seconds and then he was invisible on the next shift.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Re:Scott Parker, the guy was an absolute force in the WHL from 96-98. Destroyed everyone he fought, and by the end of his time in Kelowna, even the toughest guys in the league wouldn't go near him. On top of that, he showed a fair chunk of talent - played on the top two lines, potted 30 goals that year plus 6 more in 7 playoff games.

At the time, the school of thought was that, in addition to being the toughest player to come along in several years, he also had 15-20 goal upside and could be able to play on a team's second or third line. Very much along the lines of a Chris Simon. Had he reached that upside, his selection would certainly have been justified.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
MS said:
Re:Scott Parker, the guy was an absolute force in the WHL from 96-98. Destroyed everyone he fought, and by the end of his time in Kelowna, even the toughest guys in the league wouldn't go near him. On top of that, he showed a fair chunk of talent - played on the top two lines, potted 30 goals that year plus 6 more in 7 playoff games.

At the time, the school of thought was that, in addition to being the toughest player to come along in several years, he also had 15-20 goal upside and could be able to play on a team's second or third line. Very much along the lines of a Chris Simon. Had he reached that upside, his selection would certainly have been justified.
He sure as hell could fight and he worked deligently on his skating he just couldn't get any more mobile.

n00dles

Dec 13, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Master Shake said:
I'm curious, what is the story behind him? I remember reading something about family problems but I am not sure.

Anybody willing to share their knowledge?

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
The last bust or bad pick for the Leafs was in 1999, Luca Cereda.

Other than that we've done well in the first round with Nik Antropov, Alexander Steen, Carlo Colaiacovo, and Brad Boyes. Though, if it were possible, I would prefer the Leafs had picked Niklas Kronwall instead of Boyes.

And don't forget to mention the leafs avoid drating busts in the past two drafts by trading their best picks! ;-)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
n00dles said:
I'm curious, what is the story behind him? I remember reading something about family problems but I am not sure.

Anybody willing to share their knowledge?

The Penguins rushed him when he clearly wasn't ready to play in the NHL and then both of his parents died in a short time span...he took it really hard and just never recovered.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Columbus - Pascal Leclaire.

Despite having a good showing in his two games in the majors, he's had a hard time seizing the top goaltender spot from undrafted Karl Goehring. Infact, KG's first season in SYR saw him representing the Crunch in the AHL All-Star Game. With KG having a weak season, it was up to Leclaire to ascend to the spot, but has been befallen with an injury.

Granted, Class of 2000 expansion teams still have a few years before citable busts are even debatable, and ofcourse there is always the chance of a rebound in 05-06

Special note to Kiel McLeod who asked for a laughable amount of money as a 2nd rounder, only to be invisible on Pheonix's system

Last edited:

Habdominal

Jun 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Sabes said:
I'll try and give you 1 or 2 for each team:

Chicago: Remi Royer, Ty Jones
Montreal: Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, Gregor Baumgartner
T-Bay: Mario Larocque, Nikita Alexeev

Chi: Royer UpdateHe is an excellent NAHL player... wich is sad cause he could have been a decent NHLer if he tried a little bit

MTL: MIght I add Brad Brown, Brent Bilodeau and more

T-Bay: For some strange reason I still think Alexeev might have a decent 3rd liner career in front of him :dunno:

Last edited:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Kafka said:
And don't forget to mention the leafs avoid drating busts in the past two drafts by trading their best picks! ;-)

That may be so, however they did alright in last years draft without needing a first rounder to do so. To be honest, they probably would have ended up with the same guys they got even with a first and second rounder in the draft. Given the choice again, if I was the one in charge of making the trades they did, I'd do them again no problem. Owen Nolan would have been a Flyer had the Leafs not pulled the trigger. Brian Leetch worked out perfectly, although we didn't get a cup out of it. Decent trades none-the-less if you look at why the trades were done.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Devils busts with guys who were still available at the time of their pick.

JF Damphousse - 24th 1997 (Brendan Morrow picked at 25)
Lance Ward - 10th 1996 (Derek Morris picked at 13)
Sharifjanov - 25th 1994
Denis Pederson - 13th 1993 (Deadmarsh 14th, Allison 17th, Koivu 21st)
Neil Brady - 3rd 1988 (Vinny Danphousse 6th, Brian Leetch 9th)

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
sabexx said:
T-Bay: For some strange reason I still think Alexeev might have a decent 3rd liner career in front of him :dunno:

Not me, he is so soft it is unbeliveable. He is litteraly a 6"5 moutain of poo. Nothing good out of him.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
unless ur a guy like daigle who was supposed to be the next coming of christ... i dont consider any player who plays in the nhl on a regular basis a bust.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Poochie_D said:
unless ur a guy like daigle who was supposed to be the next coming of christ... i dont consider any player who plays in the nhl on a regular basis a bust.

That's what I did when I mademy list. Left guys that play in the NHL like Daigle and Lance Ward or have had injuries like Cherneski and Blackburn off.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
GregStack said:
Given the choice again, if I was the one in charge of making the trades they did, I'd do them again no problem. Owen Nolan would have been a Flyer had the Leafs not pulled the trigger. Brian Leetch worked out perfectly, although we didn't get a cup out of it. Decent trades none-the-less if you look at why the trades were done.

I personally think Owen Nolan is a big waste of space and money, but that's just my opinion... Whether he's on the Leafs, or on the Flyers, he just doesn't inspire fear into anyone (except when the opposing team is puking their guts out... boohoo). His conditioning is atrocious, and his leadership very questionable.

Anyway, I agree about Leetch... I would have been much happier with him on the Sens instead of de Vries. Much, much happier. ugh. No offense, but I hope he goes back to the NYR, just so he won't be on the Leafs anymore... I swore enough already when I originally heard about the trade (just after I heard what we had to give up for de Vries).

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
eightyseven said:
I personally think Owen Nolan is a big waste of space and money, but that's just my opinion... Whether he's on the Leafs, or on the Flyers, he just doesn't inspire fear into anyone (except when the opposing team is puking their guts out... boohoo). His conditioning is atrocious, and his leadership very questionable.

Anyway, I agree about Leetch... I would have been much happier with him on the Sens instead of de Vries. Much, much happier. ugh. No offense, but I hope he goes back to the NYR, just so he won't be on the Leafs anymore... I swore enough already when I originally heard about the trade (just after I heard what we had to give up for de Vries).

Owen Nolan is still easily a top 6 forward on most teams, IF, he's on his game. The Leafs had a strange situation in that they decided to role with three lines, and for whatever reason, prefered to give Renberg as many chances as phyiscally possible with a top two line. His health is a big question mark, however after the long lay off, he should be good to go. Now, he's definitely no pure sniper, but in terms of power forwards, he's still in the top 20 around the league. He definitely needs to take a page out of the Gary Roberts book of rehab though.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
GregStack said:
Owen Nolan is still easily a top 6 forward on most teams, IF, he's on his game. The Leafs had a strange situation in that they decided to role with three lines, and for whatever reason, prefered to give Renberg as many chances as phyiscally possible with a top two line. His health is a big question mark, however after the long lay off, he should be good to go. Now, he's definitely no pure sniper, but in terms of power forwards, he's still in the top 20 around the league. He definitely needs to take a page out of the Gary Roberts book of rehab though.

i'm really happy Spezza started working out w/ Gary. :)

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Carl O'Steen said:

I hope for your own sake that that post was joke.

Daigle was the orginal Crosby, the next great one.

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
For the Hawks.....all of them?

Adam Munro, 29th pick overall (a pure desperation shot)

Pavel Vorobiev, 11th pick overall (botched knee injuries back home may have sealed his fate, and I'm still holding out some small glimmer of hope for Yakubov who was picked one ahead of him but could arguably be on this list)

Dan Cleary, 13th pick overall

Ty Jones, 16th pick overall

Dmitri Nabokob, 19th pick overall (Milbury took the sting out of that one by trading Dumont to us for him...but no good deed goes unpunished, so we traded Dumont and Gilmour and cash for Michal Grosek...where's that wallbangin icon.... :banghead: )

Eric Lecompte, 24th pick overall (knee injury and a crappy attitude killed this kids career)

And that's just since '93...we can talk about Everett Sanipass if you want, but its getting late :)

IdiotsPickedMyName*

futurcorerock said:
:shakehead

He's a regular contributor to the boards...

Yeah i think everyone knows that unfortunately.

I was just wondering since Daigle wasnt a leaf prospect if he knew who he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad