Status
Not open for further replies.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I was just tweaking my 'homegrown' rosters (players assigned to team that drafted or debuted them) for NHL 2k5 last night, and thought that I would add a high pick draft bust to each team and give them a 'second chance' at success (or at least virtual success).
I figured that my Bruins pick would be Jonathan Aitken, who was snagged at #8 in 1996 and has never really found any pro success. Anyone have any good ideas of 'shoulda beens' that could be added to their home team??

TIA.

jb**

thevat said:
I was just tweaking my 'homegrown' rosters (players assigned to team that drafted or debuted them) for NHL 2k5 last night, and thought that I would add a high pick draft bust to each team and give them a 'second chance' at success (or at least virtual success).
I figured that my Bruins pick would be Jonathan Aitken, who was snagged at #8 in 1996 and has never really found any pro success. Anyone have any good ideas of 'shoulda beens' that could be added to their home team??

TIA.
92 Flyers take Ryan Sittler and Jason Bowen, very pitiful set the Team back a couple years, got nothing out of them as a player or trade

Pure Rock Fury*

The only real bust I can think of for the Sharks would be Teemu Riihijarvi from the '95 draft.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I'll try and give you 1 or 2 for each team:

Anaheim: Maxim Balmochnykh, Alexei Smirnov (maybe)
Atlanta: Luke Sellars
Boston: Evgeni Ryabchikov
Buffalo: Artem Kryukov, Jiri Novotny, Barrett Heisten
Calgary: Daniel Tkaczuk
Carolina: Nikos Tselios
Chicago: Remi Royer, Ty Jones
Colorado: Kevin Grimes, Peter Ratchuk
Columbus: umm Ben Knopp?
Dallas: Martin Vagner
Detroit: Jesse Wallin, Yan Golubovsky
Edmonton: Jason Bonsignore, Matthieu Descoteaux, Michel Riesen, Michael Henrich
Florida: Mike Brown, Denis Shvidki
LA: Matt Zultek
Minny: umm Chris Heid??
Montreal: Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, Gregor Baumgartner
Nashville: umm Geoff Koch?? lol
NJ: Jean-Francois Damphousse, Vadim Sharifijanov
NYI: Jeff Zehr, Brett Lindros, Chris Nielsen
NYR: Christian Dube, Jeff Brown
Ottawa: Mathieu Chouinard, Marc Moro
Philly: Ryan Sittler, Jason Beckett
Phoenix: Patrick DesRochers, Scott Kelman
Pitts: Chris Wells, Craig Hillier, Robert Dome
SJ: Teemu Riihijarvi
St Louis: Tyler Rennette, Maxim Linnik
T-Bay: Mario Larocque, Nikita Alexeev
Toronto: Jeff Ware, Luca Cereda, Marek Posmyk
Vancouver: Josh Holden
Washington:Nolan Baumgartner,Brad Church,Alexandre Volchkov,Jaroslav Svejkovsky

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Canucks: Nathan Smith in 2000. I like the way he plays but the biggest impact he'll have in the NHL is as a 4th liner. Terrible pick and many people knew it at the time.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
rival said:
Canucks: Nathan Smith in 2000. I like the way he plays but the biggest impact he'll have in the NHL is as a 4th liner. Terrible pick and many people knew it at the time.

I think Burkie picked Smith because he exploded in production in the Q the year before the draft (90 pts as an 18 year old). Anyways, I'd say RJ Umberger was a bust as well. When it all comes down to it, it's a wasted draft pick.

Skroob*

Rangers:

Malhotra, Brendl, Lundmark, Peter Ferraro, Christian Dube, Jeff Brown, Daniel Goneau, etc, etc.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Robert Dome is the most recent, but I don't think any Penguins fan will blame him for busting. He is the posterboy for mismanagement...the Penguins royally screwed him up.

Craig Hillier, on the other hand, the blame is 100% on his shoulders. Good God the guy never played above the ECHL. And was horrific there...now he's in random beer leagues around Canada being lit up by mail clerks.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Skroob said:
Rangers:

Malhotra, Brendl, Lundmark, Peter Ferraro, Christian Dube, Jeff Brown, Daniel Goneau, etc, etc.

Ipersonally like Malhotra's game and think he will continue to improve now that he is on the CBJs.

jb**

kmad said:
I think Burkie picked Smith because he exploded in production in the Q the year before the draft (90 pts as an 18 year old). Anyways, I'd say RJ Umberger was a bust as well. When it all comes down to it, it's a wasted draft pick.
How is Umberger a bust? Has 51 points in his rookie year in the AHL, has been steady all year will be a 2nd line player IMo. A wasted pick not a bust.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ipersonally like Malhotra's game and think he will continue to improve now that he is on the CBJs.

From where he was picked, Malhotra was a wasted pick. 7th overall? There were some good players picked after him that have much higher upside even. Though I think things would have worked out fine for the rangers with that trade if the lyashenko thing didn't happen the way it did. I liked Lyashenko, felt he was more versitile than malhotra.

I guess you could consider blackburn a bust since it's highly unlikely he'll ever play in the NHL again with his injury and all.

McMatty

Nov 9, 2002
North Bay ON
For the Oilers: Alexei Mikhnov is getting there. Maybe not quite a bust yet, but it's been quite some time since his draft year without any signs of making the move to North America.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Sabes said:
Pitts: Chris Wells , Craig Hillier , Robert Dome
Pitts: Chris Wells (I disagree on the basis that he was a bust for Florida. The Pens traded him for Stu Barnes and Jason Wooley......Not too shabby of a return)

Craig Hillier (Agree), Robert Dome (Agree)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
kmad said:

Smith had 49 points in his draft year. His production went through the roof the next year when he had the extreme good fortune to end up on the best line in the WHL, with league scoring leader Layne Ulmer and Duncan Milroy. His production was being carried by those players in a huge way. He did a good job, but his production was in absolutely no way reflective of his talent.

How the Canucks picked Smith over Brian Sutherby is still a mystery to me. Both players projected into the same role in the NHL - #3 center. They played head-to-head in the same division of the WHL, and played against each other numerous times in the two years leading up to the draft. Even at the time, Sutherby was better at almost every skill a hockey player can have. Bigger, stronger, better skater, tougher, better defensively, more leadership, better shot. Every scouting service had Sutherby rated loads higher than Smith, who was a consensus 2nd-3rd rounder. And we pick Smith.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
jb said:
How is Umberger a bust? Has 51 points in his rookie year in the AHL, has been steady all year will be a 2nd line player IMo. A wasted pick not a bust.
Because he isn't scoring those points for the Canucks organization, yes he's doing quite well for the Flyers, but the topic is "your team's recent draft bust" so this is from a team's standpoint. From the viewpoint of the Canucks, I agree with kmad, he was a bust. They got basically nothing out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad