Your teams priorities on Draft Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
PensFan68 said:
I agree. I'm sure we'll see an offensive forward with our 1st, but I'd like to see a goalscorer drop to our 2nd pick Would love to see Sindel or Lisin drop to our 2nd although it's probably unlikely. Kaspar sounds pretty intrguing too.

I wouldn't mind seeing with one of our early picks a big physical defensive d-man either.

My hope as of right now is Wheeler falls to our 2b pick. Malkin and Wheeler would make this draft an instant success from my stand point.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Alex Kovalev said:
Wheeler will probably be available at 31 and we'll probably pass.

Wheeler will def be there at 31 and prob wont be there at 46. As much as I like wheeler, he is a ways away from being in the NHL and the pens need sooner than later. I also think a more complete player and someone who is rated as a 1st rounder will drop to early 2nd(as some player always does). But if wheeler is there at 46 and the pens take him, I will tranform into :banana: .

Vic Rattlehead*

The Bruins: The best thing that is left with the 60th pick :dunno:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Well since the Bruins are not going to pick until around # 70 ( they are slotted at # 60 but the NHL will award around 10 compensatory picks ) this will be a year of
" reaches " for Boston. They will pick a lot of players that because they might be missing one element of their game will fall down the board. Hopefully these will be players that will eventually improve their skating, passing or toughness in the future. I also think that they will draft mostly Europeans since they do not have to be signed within 2 years and the Bruins will retain their rights. Bottom line for Bruin fans - there will be no Patrice Bergeron this year. :cry: :banghead: :mad:

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
The Devils could use a d-man at the draft with their first rounder. Since both David Hale and Paul Martin both made the Devils and the fact that Scott Stevens isn't getting any younger and Scott Niedermayer is a RFA, it would be a smart move to select a big d-man or a strong two-way d-man for the future. Boris Valabik, Kirill Lyman, or Mike Green could fill this nicely, I think.

The Devils would also do well to draft a goaltender. Behind Ari Ahonen, I don't know if there are any guys who could become NHL-calibur goalies (maybe Jason Smith? I don't know). Since goaltending is supposed to be deep this year, the Devils could pick up a goaltending prospect. Unless Cory Schnieder is still available at #22, the Devils can draft one later and use their first pick on a d-man.

Of course, with Lou Lamoriello you never really can tell what NJ will do. (Examples: Trading up to get Zach Parise last year, Anton Kadeykin in 2002, Adrian Foster in 2001, etc.) For all I know, maybe the Devils will draft a goalscorer (that would be nice) first. But I think defense is the main priority, followed closely by goaltending for this year's draft.

Prucha73

pittengineer said:
Wheeler will def be there at 31 and prob wont be there at 46. As much as I like wheeler, he is a ways away from being in the NHL and the pens need sooner than later. I also think a more complete player and someone who is rated as a 1st rounder will drop to early 2nd(as some player always does). But if wheeler is there at 46 and the pens take him, I will tranform into :banana: .

Rangers will have the 46th pick unless they trade Umberger in the next few days.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Montreal: BPA

I personnaly think Habs should have draft more D-men two years ago... cause aside Markov and Komisarek, I'm not sure other young D-men will emerge... you will all reply that Hainsey is also there, but this guy had more than two years to change is attitude and he didn't, resulting in a declined progression.

For that reason I hope they will just pick the Best Player Available............. hopping it's a defensman. :D

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
CREW99AW said:
Isles need defensemen and scoring wingers.

Specifically, they need lw's and rugged defencemen. Character is a must.

At # 16, I'm hoping to get either Wolski/Chipchura or Valabik/Green.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
palffytofrovlov said:
I can't believe none of us Kings fans have posted... So looking at the Kings and where they pick at #11... We all know their #1 priority is GOALIE.. but they also need A Center, could use another Sniper and you can never have enough puck rushing Defensemen... so in no particular order I can see the Kings drafting any one of these 8 players if they drop or are there at #11.

Goalie Schwarz
Goalie Montoyo
Center Schremp
Winger Radulov
Winger Stafford
Winger Picard
Defenseman Thelen or Smid....

Flame away if you think we won't draft anyone or if there is anyone to add...

Agree except for picking Smid at 11, but it would not shock me if we didn't draft a goalie. You're right in that we need help everywhere. I'm hoping that we can land Mike Lundin in the 3rd, but I doubt he falls that far :dunno:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Comrie_fan said:
Montreal (18) need defense, goalie and maybe a big guy. I think Montoya will be a good choice at this rank for a goalie and if he is avaiable Aj.Thelen in the def. If we take a defenseman in the first round, we need a goalie like Ellis in the second round.

Brown >>> Ellis.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
:coyotes

At #5, it'll be whoever they think is the BPA. My guess is one of Olesz, Tukonen, Ladd or Radulov.

At #35, I could see them taking Dubnyk if all goes to plan, but I could also see someone good slipping down there, like Sindel or Lisin.

They have two more picks in the 2nd round. I am pretty sure they'll take a goalie before day 1 is over.

Needs are plenty; it'd be easier to list strengths.

Depth Forwards
Offensive Defensemen
Top Goalie

degroat*

BLUES
1. Defensemen
2. Center
3. Right Wing
4. Goalie
5. Left Wing

guitaraholic*

How you see the Blues primary need as dmen when they have Pronger, Backman, Jackman, Salvador, Walker, Belle and Fitzgerald on the roster or in the system is mind boggling. It's very obvious the Blues need an elite forward prospect more than anything else.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
guitaraholic said:
How you see the Blues primary need as dmen when they have Pronger, Backman, Jackman, Salvador, Walker, Belle and Fitzgerald on the roster or in the system is mind boggling. It's very obvious the Blues need an elite forward prospect more than anything else.

Clearly Defense .... You just named ever HAS and HAS Been in the organization ..

You do realize how the Draft works Right ????? The time the Dman drafted this year make the NHL in 3 -5 years ..Pronger will be long gone or nearly anyways... You never draft for today but the future ...

To use Salvador as a reason not to draft a dman is laughable .. :lol:

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stich said:
BLUES
1. Defensemen
2. Center
3. Right Wing
4. Goalie
5. Left Wing

Good Call

With the retirement of MacInnis immanent and really with only Pronger getting up there in age and young Jackman the only stable young player ...with the development of Belle still uncertain ..

Blues need dmen and they need a whole lot of them ...

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
NYR from My POV
1. #1 Center (Olesz)
2. #1 or #2 Left Winger(Ladd or Radulov)
3. #1 Defensemen (Barker or Thelen)

guitaraholic*

The Messenger said:
Clearly Defense .... You just named ever HAS and HAS Been in the organization ..

You do realize how the Draft works Right ????? The time the Dman drafted this year make the NHL in 3 -5 years ..Pronger will be long gone or nearly anyways... You never draft for today but the future ...

To use Salvador as a reason not to draft a dman is laughable .. :lol:

Pronger will be "long gone" in 3 years? WTF are you basing that on?
As for your incredibly childish "do you know how the draft works" comment, my only retort is: grow up, you little boy.

Salvador is a legitimate top 5 NHL dman and he's reasonably young. Blues fans in general, who know more about him than you do, hold him in generally high regard as an underrated, physical dman.

How you can argue that the Blues have a better group of forward prospects than dmen that are still young and on the roster or in the system is, once again, rather mind boggling.

The juvenile attitude displayed in your post is indicative of your emotional and intellectual immaturity, by the way.

guitaraholic*

The Messenger said:
Good Call

With the retirement of MacInnis immanent and really with only Pronger getting up there in age and young Jackman the only stable young player ...with the development of Belle still uncertain ..

Blues need dmen and they need a whole lot of them ...

Pronger is "getting up there in age?"
:joker:

Right... Backman is a fine young dman by the way. Salvador is a solid NHL dman regardless of what you think. Fitzgerald and Belle are the top legit prospects... up front the Blues have maybe a couple of legitimate top 6 forward prospects. The need for offensive depth among their prospects is obvious.

degroat*

guitaraholic said:

Did you happen to notice that of the defensemen you listed only two of them are prospects? The reason that's significant is because it's stupid to base drafting on what a team has at the NHL levels. These players are 3+ years away from the NHL and we have no clue what the defense will look like in 3 years. Right now the only prospect the Blues have with top 2 potential is Belle and he's far from being a player we can expect to fullfil his potential.

Usahockeyfan12

Jun 1, 2004
rebedom said:
The Senators need to add size, grit and heart in a lot of positions.
Round 1
LW / C - Bruce Graham 6'6, 230 lbs go with size with the first pick (Eric Daze). OR
D - Boris Valabik same size and mean(Chara).
Round 2
C - Ryan Garlock 6' 1, 200 lbs with our 2nd pick (Mike Fisher). OR
C - Kyle Chipchura 6'2", 200 lbs both excellent prospects and team players.
Round 3
RW - Blake Wheeler 6'3" 190 lbs. with our 3rd pick.
LW - Geoff Pokavich 6'4", 208 lbs with our other 3rd round pick.

Other notables - Brian Bickell, Andy Rogers, Jeff Schultz, Roman Voloshenkov or Kyle Wharton if still available

Im not sure.. Even though Paukovich is listed at left wing, I think he plays center from games I have seen him play... Just an observation I dont really know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad