Your teams priorities on Draft Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Your team's priorities on Draft Day

I thought I'd start a thread putting together your fav. team's #1 needs/wants on June 26th, to shed light on potential picks and trade discussion. Fire away! :)

Last edited:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Oilers like US College kids and lately Q players, and have gone to Europe without much success lately.

They have a need for a skill player and a goalie, although with the G depth they might wait until the second round for that.

Candidates at 14 might be Stafford (if he's there), Picard, Smid, and this guy Korpikoski has Oilers written all over him.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I would think the Wild have 2 main areas they will be looking at. Scoring wingers and big defensemen. There seems to be a lot of energy PK guys on the wings and a lot of smaller puck moving defensemen in our system. Time to get some scorerers and some thugs!! :D

Prucha73

I think Rangers are interested in "complete" forwards that are very skilled, can score and work hard and are solid defensively. Most likely players like Ladd, Chipchura, Tukonen, Olesz, Stafford, etc.

thestonedkoala

chaachie12 said:
I would think the Wild have 2 main areas they will be looking at. Scoring wingers and big defensemen. There seems to be a lot of energy PK guys on the wings and a lot of smaller puck moving defensemen in our system. Time to get some scorerers and some thugs!! :D

Scoring wingers but we got a lot of big defensemen.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Anything but a goalie...and dont pass on a skilled forward who has supposed attitude problems(like taking Crombeen over O'Sullivan last year :banghead: )

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Captain Canuck 19 said:
Obsut? :dunno:

Personally, I'd love to see us load up on some skilled forwards. Preferably not headcases *Cough*Fedorov*Cough*.
Jaroslav Obsut? He's a 27 year old AHL fringe player. Hardly a prospect.

thestonedkoala

Brent Burns, Jean-Michael Bolduc, Alex Henry, Ryan Stokes, with Misharin being a good agitator and Mitchell as being a tough Defensive-defenseman and Kubes being 6'3"

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
The Hawks will go with Best Player on their board, at #3. Every hint out of the organization is that they already have their man, its just a question if they think they can get him at 4, 5, or even 6. The Hawks say they aren't trading down, and if so I think it means Olesz or Barker, but that could be a bluff- as many people believe that Tallon and Co. like Ladd(and Tukkonen would also fit with the teams needs).

After the #3 overall, the Hawks have 4 picks in the 2nd(their own, Los Angeles[from philly Zhamnov], Nashville[Steve Sullivan], and Dallas[Jon Klemm]).

In the 2nd round, I expect the hawks to look for two things, Goal Scorer's, and Stay at home dmen.

I doubt we take a flyer on any dman under 6'2", unless he is a major steal. Why? Because we have: Steve McCarthy, Duncan Keith, James Wisniewski already in the system. And Duncan Keith is maybe the most interesting prospect never talked about. Everyone compares people to Scott Neidermeyer... Well if anyond can become that type of dman, its Keith. Its just a question of how he can hold out physically(because he is a small man). Because there simply isn't a better skater playing hockey than Duncan Keith.

Up Front, we have a glut of Pluggers and quality 2nd liners. Mark Bell, Kyle Calder, Tyler Arnason, Pavel Vorobiev, Matt Ellison...etc etc.

What we lack are true snipers(outside of the enigma, Alex Kojevnikov).

Now this could be way off, because- well, Pully could be back in charge :cry: But that's what I expect the strategy to be, depending on the situation.

The hawks will also IMO, be looking to pick up a young enforcer. Outside of Thornton(who is 27, so not a youngster) we really don't have anybody in the system that can chuck em. That's the one thing that Pully will waste a pick to early on, almost certainly. I'm betting 3rd round.

-fullmetalninja

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
Blues- Goal scoring wingers, or BAP if there's a drop off from Dman/Goalie to the forward.

I like the idea of trading down and selecting Lukas Kasper.

leafaholix*

Leafs...

1. Scoring forwards.
2. Goalie(s).
3. Big defensive defensemen.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Caps...

Defense. Any and all. Could use anyone who looks like they might reach the NHL someday.

And after that, best player available. Especially high ceiling players who might have dropped a bit. Projects who might take a few years in the minors could be an option here.

WHL players also. The front office has this thing for the WHL.

And did I forget a frontline player or two?

X-SHARKIE

I would lilke the Sharks to sit at 27th-28th and see who falls to them. I would like a forward with size and skating ability, Lukas Kaspar is my #1 guy. Kirill Lyamin would be the defensman of choice.

After that, I would like to see USHL players drafted. The USHL crop is amazing this year, and we should really pluck players out of there. Could be the steals of the draft.

I think the Sharks are looking to add big, fast forwards. Along with a defensman with size.

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Montreal (18) need defense, goalie and maybe a big guy. I think Montoya will be a good choice at this rank for a goalie and if he is avaiable Aj.Thelen in the def. If we take a defenseman in the first round, we need a goalie like Ellis in the second round.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What Buffalo needs and what they draft are often two very different things. Defense is obviously a need, considering the time it takes for one to develop and the gap they have of anyone close to pushing for a spot on the big club. If they have a forward and a defenseman ranked equally, they'll likely go with the blueliner.

The could use another goaltender in the system, with Miller about ready to make the jump and no one on the horizon. Not that they'll be laying out for Schwarz or Montoya or anything like that, but I do believe that they take one in their first 4 selections.

They have a continuous shortage of true scoring threats, particularly with size, and any sort of projected scoring line centre with ability and size should be on their list.

Papa Bear

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Comrie_fan said:
Montreal (18) need defense, goalie and maybe a big guy. I think Montoya will be a good choice at this rank for a goalie and if he is avaiable Aj.Thelen in the def. If we take a defenseman in the first round, we need a goalie like Ellis in the second round.

although its always nice to have a goalie or 2 developping in the system our number 1 goalie will turn 28 in september and our number 2 (who most people believe could be a very capable number 1 at worst) is only 26...

i believe that we currently have much stronger needs than in nets...

potential top 4 d men (after hainsey we dont really have any with even the potential unless someone surprises)

big center that can skate and play physical

at number 18 i like:
D - thelen
green
possibly valabik

C - chipchura
stafford (if for some unforseen reason he fell to this spot)
ofcourse if picard would fall, then i think he would be a good pick as well

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Preds priorities:

tie - 1) Goalie :banghead: or bonafide SCORER :banghead:

I can tell you one thing...we probably won't go with a defenseman for a few years after last year's superior defensive draft class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->