Your Team's Playoff Chances After the First Month

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
So with only one game on tonight, the first grueling month of hockey is done. After it is all said and done, how do you feel about your team's chances this year to make it to the playoffs?

For me, the Oilers are kind of where I expected; taking advantage of a pretty bad start by Pacific teams. Hopefully this translates to a much easier playoff berth for them. That being said, I am still on the fence as their underlying numbers aren't the greatest.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vegas: f*** if I know. There's regression to the mean and there's the sloppy unfocused style of hockey they're currently playing. On the bright side they're still generating a lot of shots and suppressing them pretty well. I think when the injuries clear up and enough barking from Gallant, things should level off and they should be able to contend f0r a playoff spot. Probably only a wild card spot if they don't get going soon.

Anaheim: They're pretty much playing the worst hockey of their 25 year existence sooo...nah. For the sake of their future, I'd say they should shut Gibson down for the year and lose for Hughes.

Reactions: Peanut

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Isles are 2nd place in Metro. Ill take it.

Realistically we'll finish around 90-95 points in the middle of WC contention.

Edit: This is assuming Lehner's injury is minor.

Reactions: Quicklime

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Isles are 2nd place in Metro. Ill take it.

Realistically we'll finish around 90-95 points in the middle of WC contention.

Edit: This is assuming Lehner's injury is minor.
realistically adding 10-15 points after losing Tavares? uhh ok...

Reactions: Bedards Dad

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Wild, to paraphrase the late great Denny Green, are who I thought they were. A 100ish point team, extremely likely to make the playoffs.

Reactions: CROCODILE SEATS

Bond

May 10, 2012
If Pacific was a good conference I would probably guess the Flames would have a 30% shot. I think we are about 50/50 as it currently stands

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The Wild, to paraphrase the late great Denny Green, are who I thought they were. A 100ish point team, extremely likely to make the playoffs.
I don't think Minnesota makes it. The central is too tough, and they don't have the speed to keep up. Parise is due for an injury any game now aswell.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't think Minnesota makes it. The central is too tough, and they don't have the speed to keep up. Parise is due for an injury any game now aswell.
Which has been said basically every off season by most people for 3ish years.

And yet every year they're there, and as we sit here today they're tied for the 3rd best record in the league.

Nothing's changed. They weren't fast last year. What they have is a really good D core, and a deep, but unspectacular, above average offense. If they get average goaltending or better, that's going to put them in the playoffs.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
For Buffalo, not much has changed from the beginning of the season. Probably fighting for a WC spot till late in the season to just miss. They've had a decent start but we will see.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think its almost as close to a sure thing for the Leafs as can be. The uncertainty lies with where they will place in the playoff race, could be anything from 1st seed (very unlikely) to a wildcard team (unlikely).

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i assume at that time of the season between 25 and 31 fan bases count on their team to make the PO.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
1 month, 10 games into the season. Stay calm. There are several teams at the top that won't sniff the playoffs.

As for the Blues they definitely took themselves out of any sliver of hope they had at the central division race, but they should still make the playoffs. If they play 100 point hockey the rest of the way they'll finish with about 96 points which should get them in at least a wild card.

I don't know. Talk to me in a month when we have played a decent part of the season.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
The Canucks are still longshots on my opinion, but they haven't looked as bad as I expected. So, chances are better than they were a month ago, I suppose.

We're in a shitty division so I'd say our playoff hopes are about 15 - 20%. Realistically, I think SJ is a lock, Vegas gets it together, and Calgary, Edmonton, Arizona duke it out for the 3 PAC spots. Wildcards, who knows.

PS - Pettersson really does look like a legitimate superstar already, so he alone (if healthy) could take us to within playoff contention...

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
And your estimation of Florida's chances?
currently doing what they do every year. Start off looking like the worst team in the NHL. At some point (which could either be tomorrow or the day after the TDL) they will figure it out and go on a run giving Panther fans hope before dashing them at the last second.

this pretty much sums it up.

Ill help his bitter ass out.

Lehner 4-2-1 2.45 GAA .928 Sv%

Reimer 1-3-1 3.41 GAA .878 Sv%
Hutchinson 1-1-2 4.17 GAA .839 Sv%

Yea...I will gladly rely on Lehner
7 game sample sizes are everything.

Also, why do the Panthers matter here? I didn't mention them at all ITT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->