Speculation: Your team's needs in offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Toronto needs a top 4 RHD and a bottom pairing RHD for sure.

We also need a capable two-way third line C.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Flyers need to send Fletcher on vacation so his bias for action doesn't let him make any dumb decisions. Let the ufas walk and play the youth

Reactions: Flyer lurker

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i’d probably do that
I seem to be having difficulty replying to the right post . I’m sure I’ll take flak over overpaying but due to our stocked prospect system and extra picks I’d do it . We need an upgrade on the wings and Mantha would be a start

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Isles:
- Top line winger...but will settle for a legit top 6 winger.

- someone to take Komorov, Ladd or Boychuk off our hands.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Habs:
Top-6 winger (in trade for Domi and similar age). Preferably one with size.

- Time and patience

What the Habs DO NOT NEED:
- 3rd / 4th line C's or wingers
- bottom pairing dmen
- 2nd round picks
- 3rd round picks
- 4th round picks
I'd add a gritty 3-4th liner with size for pk and bringing 10-12 goals. I like Weal as a 13th forward, he can replace anywhere but i'd rather have a good size winger that throws shoulders than a smalish swiss knife in the regular roster especially if Evans/Poeling take 4th C.

Likely this year is one for look and see with Seattle coming to poach, then the season after Seattle will see a lot of movement if cap goes up.

I feel now a few GM are playing chess and some have a few steps ahead. Not saying Bergevin is perfect but positionning looks good vs expansion. We'll see. Next year ain't gonna be 'that' year...

In the next season, the habs are likely going to trade Tatar and Allen at TD, who know what we'll get. Transition year it is...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'd add a gritty 3-4th liner with size for pk and bringing 10-12 goals. I like Weal as a 13th forward, he can replace anywhere but i'd rather have a good size winger that throws shoulders than a smalish swiss knife in the regular roster especially if Evans/Poeling take 4th C.

Likely this year is one for look and see with Seattle coming to poach, then the season after Seattle will see a lot of movement if cap goes up.

I feel now a few GM are playing chess and some have a few steps ahead. Not saying Bergevin is perfect but positionning looks good vs expansion. We'll see. Next year ain't gonna be 'that' year...

In the next season, the habs are likely going to trade Tatar and Allen at TD, who know what we'll get. Transition year it is...

100% agree.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Flames are really looking to upgrade

On the shopping list

-Upgrade in the top 6 at C or RW
-Goalie situation (one opening)
-Only one NHL RD signed for next year

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Habs: scoring wingers. We basically need Pacioretty lol

We're set everywhere else.
It would be nice to get someone who puts in some effort though . In the end patches had to be the laziest player in the league . Tatar shows more effort and heart without even bringing up Suzuki. We need a big winger who gives a s... if we win or lose . Ie mantha

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The easy answer is: a new owner.

The more serious answer is a few cost-controlled reclamation projects, cast-offs or a little veteran leadership on short contracts to fill spots while our prospects either make the team and learn the NHL game or play competitively on a potentially very strong Belleville Senators roster.

We might also be in a position to take cap space for cash (e.g. the end years of front-loaded contracts) depending on how many years are remaining.

We're at least 2-3 years away from seriously competing consistently for a playoff spot. I think a lot of Senators fans wouldn't mind another lottery pick in next year's draft.

We have good depth in net in the system in Nilsson, Hogberg, Gustavsson and Daccord plus Craig Anderson.

On D, it's Chabot, Wolanin, Zaitsev, Reilly, and you could maybe see someone like Hainsey being re-signed to be the old and slow guy. Someone like Brannstrom on D will also get a chance to hang with the big club as Borowiecki looks for a job elsewhere.

Up front, aside from Tkachuk and maybe Ryan, it's a lot of 2nd-4th liners like Tierney, Duclair and Connor Brown.

Colin White will be under the microscope after a sophomore slump just on the heels of signing a substantial contract. He suffered an early injury last season and struggled to make much of an impact without Stone on his line. He'll be replacing Pageau's minutes.

Batherson, Logan Brown, Formenton and Chlapik might have decent odds of playing a lot of games in the big leagues. Josh Norris might play his way on to the team after his mindblowing rookie season in the AHL.

It's really hard to know who makes the team out of camp and who will stick throughout the season.

It's challenging to talk about need because it will really depend on which of our prospects pan out over the next 2-5 years and we aren't really in a position to seriously compete next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: neelynugs

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Dallas needs to:

- Re-sign its RFAs; consider bringing back Perry if on a team-friendly deal.
- Consider addressing goaltending if Bishop isn't healthy.
- Upgrade third defensive pair.
- Add some scoring depth.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Flyers needs
1)Fletcher need to avoid meh free agents and let youngsters play. Other than Brian Elliott every free agent can go bye bye.

2)Health- If Patrick and Lindblom are healthy by game 40, the team is really deep.

3) Speed One slow player on ice you can get away with not 3.

4) Decide if big game fishing (aka Johnny Hockey)or stay frosty. Honestly top 9 of G-Couts-Voracek, Lindblom-Hayes-Konecky, JVR (or Laughton)/Frost(or Patrick)/Farabee (if move to rw since pretty deep at lw) and top 4 d of Niskanen/Provorov/Sanheim/Myers doesn't have a glaring weakness.

5) Trade for rental rhd at deadline. With ED you can't a legit long term 4th D without losing a good player in ED. Rent for a year and then BUY MORTIMER BUY next year's offseason.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
:nashville

Get rid of Granlund, Smith and Turris.

We're already 2/3rds of the way there!
We need 1LD, 1RD, and 2RWs.

We also need to decide on an approach:

a) Cheap retooling style gap-fill from within:
Then we need to sign Trenin and commit fully to playing Tolvanen, Trenin, Carrier, and a few other younglings to fill those lineup gaps.

b) Cheap gap-fill in-hopeless-attempt-to-still-compete via UFA:
Then we need to sign some preferably bigger/more physical cheap UFA leftovers on RD and LD (e.g. types like Borowiecki, Bogosian, Hamonic, gamble on getting something stable out of somebody on the leftovers bargain market), and... probably not much different for the RW slots, emphasis on size/grit/physicality where possible.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
bumping this up now as the 2020-21 season is about to close. what are your team needs now?

:bruins

pretty interesting offseason for the bruins. to-do list in no particular order:

-bring in veteran goalie for 1 year (think they also sign rask and figure it out midseason when he comes back)

-acquire top 4 LHD that can eat minutes and do a lot of everything

-re-sign krejci and hall

-re-work the bottom 6, adding more offense there

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
:leafs

New Coach
New GM
New President
Balanced Cap Situation
Draft Picks