NHL Entry Draft: Your Team's Needs for 2017 Draft

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Thought this would be good for possible mocks.

1.) Name the primary need and desired player(s) you think would benefit your team the most and be available at that spot.

2.) Name a secondary need and desired player(s) you think would benefit your team the most and be available at that spot

Example:

LA
1.)Need Skilled Forwards (Necas/Suzuki)
2.)Goalie Prospects (Oettinger)

The purpose of this thread is to consolidate team needs for compiling mocks based on the knowledge of fans and the teams they follow. Granted teams will likely pick BPA and not specifically by needs, but this may help those who aren't as familiar with other teams needs.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Despite the emergence of guys like Rakell and Steel, the Ducks biggest need for the future is potential game breaking forwards. It would be nice to somehow manoeuvre up into that range behind the big two where we could still grab a potential front line forward like a Vilardi, Glass, Mittelstadt etc.

Beyond that, there isn't a whole ton of intrigue in the goaltending pipeline behind Gibson. This would be a good draft to grab a potential top notch goalie prospect, there's a handful of really intriguing names.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i agree a team should consider needs but many have argued BPA. not sure how anyone really knows who the BPA is. my wild dont have any 1st or 2nd picks but i'll add we need a bluechip D prospect & a zucker type speedy wing. i give up on goaltenders!

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
:sabres

1) Good puck moving/carrying D with top-4 potential (Heiskanen, Makar, Liljegren)

2) Future top-6 wingers with finishing ability (Tippett, Pettersson)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
:sens just need guys with high potential. We have a good enough organization now to develop prospects and not rush them.

Top targets for me are:

Robert Thomas
Jake Oettinger
Kole Lind

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Carolina
1st skilled forwards (Glass, Suzuki)
2nd goalies(oettinger)

While the Canes have a goalie-a-year policy to build a strong pipeline, outside of the NHL I don't think that goalie is an issue. The Canes have a strong goalie pipeline and will probably take one again in the 3rd or 4th round. But...it's not really a need.

Also, I'm pretty sure that there will be a better forward on the board than Suzuki at #12...unless someone in front of the Canes goes mental and takes him super-early, he should be our worst-case scenario at #12. (I'd say an honest projection makes him the 11th-best F in this draft and about #15OA.) I'm hoping for Pettersson personally, but who knows how this draft could shape out?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
:flyers

Center prospect with 1C potential to eventually take the reigns from Giroux

Thank you Draft Lottery Gods!!

Beyond that, i'd like to see a few wingers with quickness and creativity in the system, particularly ones that play LW as their natural position. Would love to trade back into the 1st round if Yamamoto is there in the 20's like we did to draft Konecny in 2015, for instance. High risk, high reward.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Because this draft doesn't have many immediate impact prospects, I would expect most teams to go BPA. I'm hoping my team does, anyway. Even if it means...yes, another defenceman.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Despite the emergence of guys like Rakell and Steel, the Ducks biggest need for the future is potential game breaking forwards. It would be nice to somehow manoeuvre up into that range behind the big two where we could still grab a potential front line forward like a Vilardi, Glass, Mittelstadt etc.

Beyond that, there isn't a whole ton of intrigue in the goaltending pipeline behind Gibson. This would be a good draft to grab a potential top notch goalie prospect, there's a handful of really intriguing names.

Man, imagine Glass and steel as a 1-2 punch for the future, damn

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Jets biggest need is D prospects (LHD badly)

Valimaki would be fantastic but Suzuki/Necas/Thomas would also be solid considering where we are picking.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
:edmonton

the players likely available where the Oilers will be picking are....

RD....Connor Timmins
RD....Josh Brook
RD....Henri Jokiharju
RD....Eemili Rasanen

C....Robert Thomas
C....Josh Norris

RW....Kristian Vasilainen
RW....Nick Henry
RW....Kole Lind
RW....Kailer Yamamoto

LW....Nikita Popugaev
LW....Issac Ratcliff
LW....Jason Robertson
LW....Maxim Comtois

^these are likely the guys on the radar in my opinion. i would be happy with any one of them.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Jets needs in order of preference:
defense
center

Hoping Valimaki is there when the leafs pick at 17 (c'mon nashville!) or 18. I think it depends on the jets taking him or grabbing a guy like suzuki. I'd settle for Foote

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Oilers primary need is more skilled forwards in the system, preferably right-handed.

Guys like Thomas, Suzuki and Yamamoto fits the bill. Lefties like Robertson and Strome would be most welcome as well.

Secondary need is skilled offensive defensemen, again preferably right-handed. Liljegren (if he falls) and Jokiharju are the only ones that really fit that description and who could realistically be available at the Oilers pick.

Right-handed D in general is something the Oilers are lacking both on the roster and in the system, although with Bear and Mantha (as well as Benning on the roster) it's not as much of an immediate need anymore, but Callan Foote and Conor Timmins may get looks too.

Otherwise a skilled offensive LHD like Brännström or Välimäki would work well too. Hague might be of interest if he's still around.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Biggest need: D, 2nd need: D
Have:W and don't really need a goalie.

Detroit needs two top line defensemen, a second line defenseman and a first line center. We have three somewhat promising defense prospects who should become ~2nd line D. They fill one of the three holes as if one outperforms expectations, two of tree three. We have no centers capable of becoming 1Cs (maybe Larkin but if he does then we'll need a 2C so no real change). Thus I'd say defense is our most pressing need and I'd like to use our first pick both this year and next year on it. However we need centers pretty desperately too so if there's one that we like more than any of the available defenseman, we should take the C. If we take a winger I will be sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad