YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutherby

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Jonas Johansson...People were insane about him after he was drafted "the steal of the first round".. PL pulled the wool over McPhee's eyes. Year after he was drafted he put up huge numbers in Kamloops in the 26 games he played(35) before sustaining an injury..Then comes back the following year and put up a measly two more points(37) than the previous year.. IN 72 GAMES. This past year he played in Portland and managed all of 9 points in 50 games and was sent to the ECHL where he scored 6 point sin 5 games. I just don't think Jonas has the game to make it in the NHL, because he's gonna have to be a first or second liner with his style of play.. and he's just not talented enough. I expect him to be a career AHLer. But I hope I'm wrong, I wish him the best of luck and would to see him prosper wether it be in our organization or possibly another. Because I hear he's a good guy(never ment him personally).

c9orf

Jun 21, 2002
Visit site
Chootoi said:
ok i'll probably take some heat for this but... leneveu. yes he will be a solid starter for the yotes, but call me conservative, i just don't think he's currently as far along and ready as some think.
Agreed. No heat from me.

He may not be overrated by the world in general, but many 'yotes fans are guilty of assuming that he'll be a top 10 starter. The only objective justification for that assumption, to date, is that he was said to be the "1b" guy to M.A. Fleury ("1a") at the WJHC. Since then he has played pretty (if not consistently) well for the Coyotes *dismal* AHL farm teams, but what have we really learned? Not much.

I sincerely hope that he starts the '05 NHL season as the backup, for evaluation purposes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For the Sens, it's easy:

Alexei Kaigodorov. (C) (age 22)

He was the 2nd leading scorer in the RSL but won't sign a two-way contract for the Sens. As an offensive playmaker, he can probably only play on the top two lines, but Ottawa will already have a youngster in Spezza up there.

Some are expecting him to step into the 2nd line centre role without having any North American playing experience whatsoever.

acr*

Definitely Sergei Zinovjev. A Russian guy we've seen play in one or two games here who has had attitude problems both here and back home, I think he's skilled, but just another slightly above average euro-type. Some of the B's fans think we can just bring him over here and stick him on the second line with Samsonov...I don't see it.

Of course, then there's Brad Boyes, who was soooo overrated by Leaf Fans 3 years ago that it may still be hovering over him.

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
As a pens fan I don't even consider Beech to be a prospect. All I had to see him do was skate around in a game (if you can even call it that) and I realized we were screwed from the Jagr deal. He had to have been the slowest player I had ever seen in the NHL. I'm sure hes improved but dear god...

Anyway, for my overrated prospect, I would have to throw two names out there, Michael Sivek and Maxime Talbot.

Sivek is an obvious one. He has too many personal issues and will likely never play in NA again. Talbot, despite this season being only his first in the AHL, put up horrible numbers (I believe it was like 7 goals and 18 assists or something over 75 games). I personally had major hopes for him coming out of the Q, being that he turned in two major offensive seasons, but it appears that those may have just been a tease.

CoolDude*

kmad said:
He fell to the second round because he couldn't make it to the prospects game due to the Russian hockey federation not allowing him and another Russian prospect (I forget who) to go to North America for some reason.

The prospect game has entirely too much bearing on draft position - look at how far Ellis-Plante dropped.

You are quite wrong. 1st of all he did indeed drop to the 2nd round because of his attitude. The kid got into a fight with his coach!!

And 2nd of all the Prospect Game really does not have much bearing on draft position at all.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
among kings fans, brian boyle is the most overrated prospect. this guy has a weak freshman and sophmore year, picks it up towards the end and does well int he playoffs and all of a sudden this kid is on the road to stardom. i'm really pulling for him, but some of us has to realize that just cuase he ended the season well doesn't mean it's goin to translate into the junior year and so forth. and don't even try mentioning on that board that this kid may regress his junior year, becuase pretty much all indications are upwards, therefore he's only going to improve the rest of his college career (sarcasm).

among every other fan who looks at kings prospects, however, grebeshkov is probably the most overrated. according to manchester monarchs fans, he's on the road to jaroslav modry-stardom. not very enticing.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Cruiser008 said:
For the Wings I'd say Hudler and Liv.
disagree, hudler before he left for the c rep he was the best griffin on the team, his dad having a lot of problems led to his low end points, next year hell prove other wise and show what hes made up of, being probably the first line centerman or 2nd line and being on the top pp unit...

I agree with liv tho, although i kinda start to feel meech might be, hopefully he turns it up this year

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
zetterberg40 said:
disagree, hudler before he left for the c rep he was the best griffin on the team, his dad having a lot of problems led to his low end points, next year hell prove other wise and show what hes made up of, being probably the first line centerman or 2nd line and being on the top pp unit...

I agree with liv tho, although i kinda start to feel meech might be, hopefully he turns it up this year

He'll do well on the Griffs. I believe that. However I just don't think his skating is up to par for him to be a top-6 forward in the NHL, and since he's not well suited in the 3rd or 4th line he's likely to bust. Just IMO.

P.S. Guys like Meech and MacDonald weren't overrated because they aren't rated highly to begin with.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
Cruiser008 said:
There are a few cop-outs no doubt.

To rectify that an additional guideline should be made that whoever you list as your team's most overrated prospect should be one of your TOP 5 prospects.

that is a great guideline. if that were the case, it'd be grebeshkov (as most kings fans already mentioned) for the cake. cammalleri is also dangerously close to becoming overrated because of the year he just had. whenever u have the words "become" and "st. louis" with a prospect name, u kno someone's not smellin wat the rock is cookin.

but there are enough doubters on the board to nullify the overrated effect on the board.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Well, i think 6 points in 11 games is pretty good for rookie. (With average ice time about 11-12 and with more powerplay time, who knows?.)

We might see Marek Svatos playing second line next year. He's not Sakic,Next one or Forsberg, but very good player and he can score big goals by himself. Marek Svatos will play solid year,if he's healthy whole year.

:clap:

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
If I'm allowed to call Justin Mapletoft a prospect, he's up there. He put up some nice numbers in the WHL, but in the AHL his development has flat-lined. He's still a decent defensive forward, but he's not putting up anywhere close to the offensive numbers Isles fans expected him to. He looks absolutely out-of-place when called up to the big club. As for the rest of our prospect coffers, no one really comes to mind. Nilsson isn't overrated because everyone has said he still has the talent. Dmitri Cherynk and Evgeny Tunik were 2nd and 3rd round picks a couple years ago and they're both languishing in Russia--so I'd say for the rounds they were drafted in, they should be pretty decent, but both are looking like big-time busts.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
nyr4life5186 said:
Rangers....Nigel Dawes

Put up great numbers in juniors, but the question is whether that will translate to the pro game against bigger, stronger, faster guys. My honest feeling is no. Ofcourse you can always point at guys like St. Louis and Blake and say they made it just fine despite their lack of size, but I dont think Dawes has nearly the speed or quickness of those guys to be able to avoid getting pummelled on every shift in the NHL. No question he has the heart though, as well as the natural skills. Im pulling for him, but I dont expect much.

Translating the game to the nhl is an adjustment that all prospects have to do so that's not really just his problem. I hope Dawes turns into a second coming of Theo Fleury and proves all the nay sayers wrong.

My pick for most overrated is Petr Prucha

NYC Aim 4588

Well some one said Petr Prucha, I wouldnt call him the most overrated he has good potential but I dont think any one ex[pects sup star status, with that for the NYR's overrated prospects I would say Dawes and Balej, but, I think the most overrated is Montoya. The kid will probably be good and thats it. He will be no Mike Richter I say his his upside is a Jeff Hackett/Mike Dunham.

Montoya most over rated prospect. Most people might disagree but then there are some that will strongly agree.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
zetterberg40 said:
joey macdonald.. i never liked him, AHL at his age and talent wise doesnt always translate to NHL success... id much rather have a nhler as a backup then him to legace... or hell even liv

Joey MacDonald came to the Wings as a free agent and has never had much expected of him. I don't know how he is overrated. He was an allstar in the minors and his best projection is an NHL backup. Liv, a guy who was expected to possibly be the Wings next starter, was told to stay in Sweden by the Wings. He's overrated.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
allin4466 said:
Penguins - Sidney Crosby.

guys a hell of a hockey player but he'll never live up to the expectations that people are putting on him

as much as you hate to hear this, you know i'm right

I know what this is. Ive seen it before. Its reverse jinxing.
;) Im on to you. We all know he will be the best player ever. :D (thats to counter your efforts.)

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Actually I think the Oilers fans on HF overrate Robbie Schremp(And judging by the HF Top 50, they aren't alone. ;) )

If he doesn't improve his footspeed, he is going to have a long road ahead of him.

Diamond Dan 5150

Feb 26, 2004
Pennsylvania
Islanders-Justin Papineau

I actually like him as a player but he was traded for a much needed (by other teams) Osgood in 2003. A lopsided trade instantly qualifies him as overrated. But who knows he could turn into a decent center if he gets a chance.

GoPenguins

Mar 29, 2003
Albany, NY
Visit site
Pensfan86 said:
As a pens fan I don't even consider Beech to be a prospect. All I had to see him do was skate around in a game (if you can even call it that) and I realized we were screwed from the Jagr deal. He had to have been the slowest player I had ever seen in the NHL. I'm sure hes improved but dear god...

Anyway, for my overrated prospect, I would have to throw two names out there, Michael Sivek and Maxime Talbot.

Sivek is an obvious one. He has too many personal issues and will likely never play in NA again. Talbot, despite this season being only his first in the AHL, put up horrible numbers (I believe it was like 7 goals and 18 assists or something over 75 games). I personally had major hopes for him coming out of the Q, being that he turned in two major offensive seasons, but it appears that those may have just been a tease.

Talbot did get some hype I admit, but I think it was mostly due to the gaudy numbers he posted, coupled with his lowly draft status. As for his first season in the AHL though, I wouldnt consider his numbers horrible considering the role he was given at Wilkes-Barre. He played as a 3rd or 4th line defensive center and on the PK. Hardly much opportunity to explode scoring wise.

I feel he will emerge as a solid defensively minded centerman who can score. The comparison to a poor man's John Madden is pretty fair reflection to his upside, assuming he continues to grow and improve into his role. Its his best chance to make it into the NHL.

For me, the most overhyped Pen is probably Andy Chiodo. I do not know if Beech has any hype left, but if he does, he's another.

CoolDude*

Color@do @v@l@nche said:
We might see Marek Svatos playing second line next year. He's not Sakic,Next one or Forsberg, but very good player and he can score big goals by himself. Marek Svatos will play solid year,if he's healthy whole year.

:clap:

Well, I guess he did score a big goal.... What else? He's never even been a great player in the AHL.

Jaysfanatic*

Jason MacIsaac said:
Everyone is picking prospects they don't like rather then the actual overated ones. I will go against the curve.

Zach Parise - Getting highly overated by many on these boards. I will agree he has the potential to get 60-70 points in the old NHL....don't know how many in the new NHL but when people say his potential tops out around 80 or 90....that is just wrong. He can also be overpowered by a bigger center, good thing we also have Zajac, Gomez and Vrana who can play cewnter to take wear and tear off him.

Thank you Jesus.

silver_made*

Panthers

Anthony Stewart

*wasn't all that impressive as a junior, so I fail to see his imminent NHL dominance

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
nyr5186 said:
Rangers....Nigel Dawes

Put up great numbers in juniors, but the question is whether that will translate to the pro game against bigger, stronger, faster guys. My honest feeling is no. Ofcourse you can always point at guys like St. Louis and Blake and say they made it just fine despite their lack of size, but I dont think Dawes has nearly the speed or quickness of those guys to be able to avoid getting pummelled on every shift in the NHL. No question he has the heart though, as well as the natural skills. Im pulling for him, but I dont expect much.

Shea Weber destroyed Dawes in the WHL playoffs last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->