YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
Penguins - Sidney Crosby.

guys a hell of a hockey player but he'll never live up to the expectations that people are putting on him

as much as you hate to hear this, you know i'm right

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canuck-wise I would go with King. Cherry picked him for Calder once but now seems injury prone (terrible concussion last year) and plateaued out as a decent minor leaguer.

League-wise I go with Colaiacova. Guy is consistently in top 20 prospects but is undersized and has none little in AHL.

DisplacedIslander

Wherever I May Roam
Jul 3, 2003
HF Purgatory
Visit site
I know that many of my compatriates will disagree with me on this, but for the Isles I'll go with Robert Nilsson. He had better numbers before he got drafted, and since he was picked, he's shuffled around between three different teams in two European leagues, complained about icetime, and was banished to the third or fourth line on those clubs for lack of production.

If he signs before next week's deadline for '03 picks, I'll be surprised. I don't see him coming to North America any time soon. This guy has bust written all over him. Call it another Mad Mike brain fart.

KH1

DisplacedIslander said:
I know that many of my compatriates will disagree with me on this, but for the Isles I'll go with Robert Nilsson. He had better numbers before he got drafted, and since he was picked, he's shuffled around between three different teams in two European leagues, complained about icetime, and was banished to the third or fourth line on those clubs for lack of production.

If he signs before next week's deadline for '03 picks, I'll be surprised. I don't see him coming to North America any time soon. This guy has bust written all over him. Call it another Mad Mike brain fart.
I do disagree. I actually think that Nilsson has become underrated becasue of the fact that he's been shuffled to several different teams. It's not because he's a bad player, it's because he's been on teams that care about winning and not developing someone elses youngsters. He still has skill, don't worry about that. A poor WJC nonwithstanding, he is not a bust yet.

The Isles most overrated prospect would have to be Justin Mapletoft. I see no evidence that he can ever be a contributor in the NHL.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
nomorekids said:
I see a lot of names being selected that I haven't EVER heard being "overrated." I think some cop-out picks are being made, here ;)

Definitely agree with that. Seems like a lot of people are going out on a limb with their team's 10th prospect or so...

As a CBJ fan, I'll concur with a fellow Jackets poster of mine here.

Dan Fritsche.

Talented, but he's got shoulder's of glass. He can't put in a full season in junior, methinks he'll have problems in the NHL.

amon

Jul 20, 2005
Montreal
danny steward omg this player sucks i dont mean that people in hf forum overrated him but i read an article on canadiens.com that said how good he was . Did the scout of canadiens see the same guy as me . I hate steward ........... :cry:

CrossCheck

Feb 27, 2002
Hockey home, Canada
Visit site
Milan Michalek :

You just can't have 3 reconstructive surgery on the same knee and still be a top notch prospect. Might be a second liner caus of talent only but when arthrosis is gonna jump into that knee, good luck for just even walking!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
Definitely agree with that. Seems like a lot of people are going out on a limb with their team's 10th prospect or so...

As a CBJ fan, I'll concur with a fellow Jackets poster of mine here.

Dan Fritsche.

Talented, but he's got shoulder's of glass. He can't put in a full season in junior, methinks he'll have problems in the NHL.

Don't know much about Fritshe, but that sounds like a description of Benoit Brunet in his porcelain days...

DisplacedIslander

Wherever I May Roam
Jul 3, 2003
HF Purgatory
Visit site
King Henry I said:
The Isles most overrated prospect would have to be Justin Mapletoft. I see no evidence that he can ever be a contributor in the NHL.

I don't believe Mapletoft counts as a prospect anymore, but I agree with you on him being a bust. Papineau seems to be on his way there too.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
salzy said:
Disagree. I think the Wings were fortunate that his stock dropped low in his draft year, then he got his career back on track the following year. He could definitely be a top 6 forward.

He put up some points, but he wasn't that impressive. McGrath excels at no one aspect of the game and has plenty of weeknesses. With some departures in Kitchener you would expect his numbers to go up this season, but I anticipate they'll go down. He's not a catalyst type of player, that's why he rarely stands out.

turnbuckle*

I agree totally Boomhower - he'll have a tough time becoming an NHL regular. Just the fact that so many have defended him is proof that he's overrated. He was a fourth round pick for a reason. The first half of last last all we read around here was how Detroit got such a steal because McGrath was one of the OHL's leading scorers. Well; there are Himefarbs and Brands that finish among league scorers every season in the OHL - it doesn't mean they're future NHLers.

McGrath doesn't possess the physical abilites to be a factor on a good NHL team's top two lines - nor their checking lines. If he ends up making the Red Wings roster three or four seasons from now it will be because they are cellar dwellers. Somehow with Ilitch at the helm I doubt that will happen.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
I see a lot of names being selected that I haven't EVER heard being "overrated." I think some cop-out picks are being made, here ;)
Why?

Every prospect you who think is overrated had to ne named for a first time before it become a popular pick. Just alot of first times.. nah actually.. it's a cop out cause you don't agree.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Baron Von Shark said:
FOR SJ:

Steve Bernier - some fans think he will be a premier 80-point power forward (hope they're right).

yeah, hes been barely getting that many points in the Q, and hes been doing it for like 3 or 4 years

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
Why?

Every prospect you who think is overrated had to ne named for a first time before it become a popular pick. Just alot of first times.. nah actually.. it's a cop out cause you don't agree.

No, because generally to be "overrated" a player needs to have some hype...or be rated at *all.*

Nice try at being a smartass, though. You get a little better at it each time.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
No, because generally to be "overrated" a player needs to have some hype...or be rated at *all.*
A Flames poster has stated Tim Ramholt is his pick for being overrated. On a scale of 1-100 for hype he gets about a two. But there he is, he is a guy who beleives Ramholt with his upside might be overrated because of his inability to come over to North America.. but Ramholt gets no hype.

So maybe because when someone doesn't share your views on things it isn't a cop out.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think there was a time there when Maxime Talbot was getting overrated. A couple of people on the Pens board had him making the team 'last' season right out of juniors, probably getting a little excited over his numbers and the accolades. He's a fine player, defensively he's going to be spectacular, but he needs some polish.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and also name Ryan Stone. He's a fine player and an excellent prospect, but when I read the name Rick Tocchet as being synonymous with Stone, I get a little apprehensive of peoples expectations.

If you visit Wilkes-Barre's message boards (don't do it, though) you'll see how some grossly overrate Andy Chiodo.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
A Flames poster has stated Tim Ramholt is his pick for being overrated. On a scale of 1-100 for hype he gets about a two. But there he is, he is a guy who beleives Ramholt with his upside might be overrated because of his inability to come over to North America.. but Ramholt gets no hype.

So maybe because when someone doesn't share your views on things it isn't a cop out.

Tim Ramholt isn't a pick I take issue with. People know who he is, most believe he has NHL upside. If a fan feels he's overrated...that's justified. However...if I were to say, "Zbynek Irgl is the Preds' most overrated prospect" or "Preds fans TOTALLY overrated Mike McKenna," it would be a cop-out pick.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Blue Jackets:

Pascal Leclaire. We're still justifying why we took him ahead of someone like Ruutu. An average NHL goaltender at best... NOT the future of our franchise (see: Denis)

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
There are a few cop-outs no doubt.

To rectify that an additional guideline should be made that whoever you list as your team's most overrated prospect should be one of your TOP 5 prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad